“Very nice for conferences” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

You added Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Heron Boulevard at Route 50, Cambridge, MD 21613   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern Virginia
“Very nice for conferences”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed here twice for business conferences. It's a great facility for conferences, everything you need is right there - ballrooms, conference rooms, dining, and recreation. Parking can require a bit of hike if you don't use the valet. The rooms were clean and well organized. The provided toiletries were very nice. Plenty of hot water and water pressure. The air conditioning was a bit of an issue. The room was very warm when I arrived and it took several hours to get comfortable after turning down the thermostat. I had a view of the Choptank River that was very nice. The grounds of the resort are beautiful. The room rate was pricey even with the conference discount, but you get access to an uncommon variety of amenities (indoor and outdoor pools and bars, several kinds of fitness/sports facilities, access to watercraft rentals, fishing, etc.). The food served for the conferences was pretty good - but I'm not sure how it compares to what is served in the restaurants.

Room Tip: Get the river view if possible...the heat/humidity of the room is probably worse on the upper levels...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed here for the Eagleman Triathlon. The hotel is really nice, and the staff attentive but here was the problem. They had a lot of new staff who were clueless when it came to ALL their restaurants. We consistently had issues. Dumb things like around the pool I saw 4 young adults arguing about who was going to serve me a drink. Then the winner comes over and tells me how they all have to fight to keep others out of their section. Later on at dinner we waited 2 hours for a 38 dollars steak that never came. Having them bring you toast you ordered with your meal after you had cleaned your plate. Dumb stuff you may expect at a 125.00 a night hotel. Not when you are paying 389/night. I don't like to complain but in this case I felt it was important to let the manager (Alex) know about it at checkout. He was very professional and apologetic. He did not offer up excuses. He said he would try and fix the problem and offered to take a night off the bill. I was happy with this.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ChesaBayManagement, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We greatly appreciate feedback and guest loyalty. Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay apologizes for any dissatisfaction at the restaurants. Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention both the night of and on TripAdvisor, so that appropriate steps are taken. We hope to welcome you back to our four-diamond resort during the next Eagleman Triathlon, or perhaps sooner.

Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was at this hotel a few years ago for a business conference and thought it was a lovely location. So when my husband and I wanted to plan a weekend getaway for our 10th anniversary I suggested we go there. I reserved through Hyatt.com a king room with a water view, a seating balcony, and noted it was our anniversary. When we arrived early afternoon (not late when they were all full) they only had available property facing rooms with two double beds. When they gave us an apology and a room key, we went to the room assigned and it was still occupied!! Back to the lobby for another round of finding an available room. We never got what we had reserved and pre-paid several months in advance as well. I was livid.

I am a frequent traveler and a Hyatt Platinum guest, so I know the good and bad of many, many of Hyatt's properties. I have probably stayed at 40+ different Hyatts. This one is pretty on the outside, lovely grounds, but beyond that, NOT WORTH THE INFLATED RESORT PRICE. I have stayed in probably 10 of the Hyatt resort properties and usually love their amenities for pleasure travel, but will not go back to this one!!

The sheets were ripped, the pillows were lumpy (did I mention my husband and I slept on separate little double beds???), the bath towels were thin and flimsy, the "free" buffet breakfast was sub-par, and the reservation planning was clearly poorly executed. And our 1 margarita and 1 soda at the pool cost $22+tip!! They knew it was our anniversary, since we reserved that in the package, so I would have typically received some in-room amenity but they didn't even acknowledge it other than the gal at the front desk saying it was noted on our reservation.

I don't fault the guest-facing staff but I do fault poor management and oversight. I would not be so critical if I were not familiar with so many other superb Hyatt resort and hotel properties, but the Hyatt Chesapeake Bay in Cambridge has a long way to go to catch up with their corporate peers. I won't go there again.

One final note: to be fair, they credited us $150 because we didn't get the room we reserved, but we still spent over $300 for the night including parking and pool drinks. We cancelled our planned dinner reservations and chose to eat off premises after our bad check-in experience (highly recommend Jimmy & Sook for dinner in downtown Cambridge).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and experience during this special anniversary weekend, especially as a Platinum Hyatt member. Please know that we are taking this feedback and reviewing it with the management team to ensure that the appropriate steps are taken. We hope to have the opportunity in the future to showcase a four-diamond resort to you in the near future.

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

While recently being a golf widow for several days, I decided to meet a girlfriend of mine at this Hyatt resort for a couple of days of spa treatments and relaxing by the pool. Although my husband and I had stayed here before, I had never experienced their spa. Check-in was a breeze and the bellman not only delivered my belongings, but filled my ice bucket, brought me a newspaper, and offered to answer any questions I might have regarding the resort or local activities. Our room was located on the third floor, waterfront, with a sit-down balcony overlooking the main courtyard, fountains, a beautiful gazebo pier, and the bridge coming into Cambridge. It was gorgeous! The beds were comfortable and the room was well appointed. A refrigerator and safe are both included for guest convenience. My girlfriend arrived the next morning and was warmly greeted by the front desk staff. Every Hyatt employee that we came into contact with during our stay were friendly, courteous, and clearly had a mission to make sure that we had a wonderful, relaxing visit. We had 10:30 massages scheduled at the spa, so off we went! The spa is very nice, clean, and relaxing. The relaxation area offered three different flavored waters from which to choose, fruit, mini-muffins, and trail mix. The spa staff was very professional and friendly. After incredible 90-minute massages, we went on to a facial, manicure & pedicure. After our spa experience, we relaxed for a while and decided to just grab some dinner at Michener's Library (the main lobby bar area at the resort). We had a great time talking with the bar staff and had a wonderful evening. As a fan of Hyatt resorts, it's always nice to meet staff members from other countries and cultures. Apparently, Hyatt sponsors an exchange program of sorts whereby staff members visit other properties to work on one-year contracts. It's always very interesting to hear their stories and backgrounds and their thoughts about being in the United States (or wherever we happen to be). This resort has several different restaurants to choose from, all offering local Maryland seafood specialties. After a great night's sleep, breakfast was on our agenda at Water's Edge Grille. The breakfast yogurt/fruit/granola parfaits are a must! A day by the pool did not disappoint, as the pool areas are very beautiful. A main outdoor "activities" pool is available, as well as an outdoor adult "infinity" pool. Both were very nice. There is also a large indoor pool enclosed in a beautiful atrium. My only complaint would be that I was told prior to my arrival that one of the outdoor pools would be heated, which it was not. I suppose the fact that they offer an indoor pool sort of negates this complaint though. In summary, I guess I just can't find anything to complain about at this property! We had a blast and will be making it an annual event (at the very least)!

Room Tip: Reserve a waterfront, sit-down balcony. Beautiful views!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

3 straight years we've gone Memorial weekend. It's a great spot for families with younger children. Not sure I'd want to be there on a holiday weekend without children, though. The weather was a little cool, but the indoor pool is perfect as well as the indoor/outdoor hot tub. We still find the food a tad pricey, but there are lots of off-resort options. A hidden gem is a great open grass field on the property that allows for baseball or catch or tag. The staff are very friendly and warm. Most are very young foreigners (Eastern Europe?) here for the summer. Lots of fun things during the day like bingo or tug-of-war or cannonball contest in the pool, pie-eating contest, etc. The indoor pool nighttime movie is always cool. We keep coming back for a reason.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the water, definitely request one. Probably not worth the money though.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We arrived without a reservation on the Saturday of Mother's Day weekend and were very happy to find a room available. We found the overall property to be very attractive and well-maintained and all the staff we encountered to be a good mix of professional and friendly. Our room (1401)was on the ground floor and had a patio with a great view. Others have mentioned how narrow many of the balconies are (not all---there are some "real" balconies) so we were very happy with a very nice sized patio on which to enjoy a glass of wine in the afternoon. If this is important to you ask when you make a reservation.
Unfortunately, my husband became sick during the night. It was clear that he was not going to be able to travel the next day. The front desk were very sympathetic and helpful when I went to them to extend our stay. Luckily, he slept most of the day and was able to have a light supper and the next day we continued out trip. But while he was confined to the room I wandered much of the property and continued to be impressed by the maintenance and quality and the friendliness of the staff.
Despite my husband's illness we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the Hyatt.

Room Tip: Be clear about what is important to you. We were on the ground floor which normally I would not lik...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
No. VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

First off, I accompanied my husband to a conference; so the company paid for our one night stay.

Staff: I truly believe that the staff is what makes this place special. I really loved that each staff member not only has their name on their tag but also where they originate from (and there are employees from all over the world working there). As an avid traveler, it was fun speaking with each about where they were from. EVERYONE, from the valets and the front desk to the waitstaff and poolside staff to housekeeping, are extremely accommodating and friendly. Each is very professional yet retains a warm and relaxed attitude that lends itself to a restful stay for guests. They seem genuinely interested in not only getting to know guests but also ensure that they are being tended to properly.

Grounds and location: The grounds at the Hyatt Chesapeake Bay are lovely. Once you turn off of 50 and into the property, you truly feel like you are on vacation. The location on the Choptank River is also quite nice, with the area directly across the river from the hotel relatively undeveloped and to the left of the backside of the hotel, a nice view of the bridge leading to it.

Room: We had a King room with a partial view of the river, a patio area, and part of the golf course. Though the room was nice, it wasn't anything special and as a previous poster noted, the balcony is too shallow to hold any chairs. Therefore, it's only good for standing to enjoy the view but certainly not sitting. The room was clean but I do have some minor complaints: 1) Walls are a little thin. I could hear every word of conversation between the people in the room next to us; 2) bath towels are like sandpaper. Nowadays, soft, fluffy towels are reasonably priced and go a long way towards making a guest feel pampered; and 3) the vent above the shower was clogged with dust and dirt. A quick touch with the vacuum or a duster every now and then reinforces the attention to detail that hotel guests expect.

Food: We had breakfast and lunch at the Water's Edge. Both meals were fine but not outstanding; though all of the waitstaff was pleasant and attentive. The muesli that I had for breakfast was huge. It was a portion more suited to two or three people rather than one. We also had dinner at Blue Point Provision Company. If it's late or the weather is iffy, the hotel has a complimentary shuttle to drop you off and pick you up from there after dinner. It is quite efficient and comes in record time when called. We sat outside at Blue Point and had a very nice river view. After dinner, we ended the evening with a drink at the bar. Frank, the bartender there, is a lot of fun and great conversationalist.

Activities: I was there several days before Memorial Day weekend, so water activities such as the kayaks and jet skis were not yet available. The adult pool was nice and quiet, and I really enjoyed the "husband and wife" ducks that visited it daily. I ran on the paths that wind throughout the resort..nice and scenic. I also loved that there are many sitting areas throughout the resort to read, sleep or just enjoy the views. I had a manicure and eyebrow waxing at the Sago Spa. It was relaxing and nicely outfitted with comfortable seating, magazines, and various refreshments and snacks. Very clean too.

All-in-all, we had a great stay and would definitely return. If you are a couple and looking for a quiet, relaxing time, then I would suggesst visiting out of season and avoiding school vacation times. The place is perfect for families but less adult-oriented during peak times.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We greatly appreciate when guests take the time to provide detailed reviews and feedback. And we are pleased to hear positive feedback about our location, activities and especially our staff! Please note that we shared this feedback about the room and its amenities with the management team. We hope to provide a four-diamond experience during a future stay at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay.

Associate Director of Sales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
St. Michaels Inn
#4 of 4 in St. Michaels
3.0 of 5 stars 243 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Easton Inn & Suites

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!