“Nice resort hotel, lots of kids” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   100 Heron Boulevard at Route 50, Cambridge, MD 21613   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Nice resort hotel, lots of kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for a quick getaway over Presidents Day weekend. The resort was very busy with lots of families, and the pool was completely filled with kids all day which was a disappointment because we never felt like dealing with kids everywhere. Another guest my wife spoke with said they stay at the resort quite often and on regular non-holiday weekends there are hardly any kids there (during the off-season at least). One thing we felt could have been good would to maybe have the pool area be adults-only after maybe 9 pm or so, but they showed kids movies every night until 10 pm in the pool area. It was very cold that weekend so we unfortunately couldn't do any of the outdoor activities, they have a small miniature golf course, tennis courts (with equipment available), and beach volleyball. Exterior grounds look nice, but the beach looked rather small but I am guessing it tends to erode during the winter and is more substantial in the summer. The workout room was ok, with a number of treadmills, bikes, weight machines and free weights. For the most part we relaxed and read, and could often find a quiet place to do so. My wife had a massage at the Sago spa which she enjoyed, although the spa treatment prices we thought were high, but typical of other higher-end resorts/hotels we have been to. She didn't get her massage until the morning we left, and she found out afterwards that if you have a treatment at the spa, then you are entitled to use their facilities for the rest of the stay, which included a sauna and steamroom, so if you would like to use those try to go to the spa early in your visit.

We had a room on the top floor, overlooking the parking lot but there were views of the Choptank river from the common areas on the floor. We were very close to the elevators and our room was adjacent to the service elevators so for much of the day we heard the room service trays rumbling around and doors closing. Fortunately, there was not much activity in the mornings and in the evenings it would down right about 9 pm. It would make it difficult to get a nap in during the day, but was not much of a problem. The room was spacious, and being the top floor had high ceilings. The windows did open but did not seem to be the easiest to open and close/lock. The bed was comfy, and we liked that instead of a duvet cover they used sheets over a comforter which could be easily washed and did not have any decorative non-washable pillows. Bathroom was roomy and nicely appointed, water pressure was good and no problems with running out of hot water.

The resort has a number of food options, of which we tried a few. connected to the main lobby is a large bar with couches and fireplaces that also serves some food called Michners Library. This was one area to escape the kids, because after 7 pm it was adults only. We did see them enforce this rule politely when a family came in after 7 and they asked them if they would mind moving to another sitting area close by that also had a fireplace and they would serve them dinner there. I thought they handled it well by keeping to the rules and still accommodating the other guests. We spent both nights in the bar area by the fire talking and reading. The one night we did eat there, had the cream of crab soup and chicken wings. Both were very good and reasonably priced for a resort. Drinks were ok and typical of resort prices.

There was also a combined gift shop/starbucks-lite/Ice cream shop that also had pre-made sandwichs and snacks. I say starbucks-lite because it certainly wasn't a full service starbucks, but did have a number of coffee and hot drinks. There is also the Eagles Nest Bar and Grill where we had breakfast both days (breakfast was included in the AAA roomrate). We chose the buffet both days, (available weekends) and it was a decent buffet, they had hot selections of eggs/bacon/sausage/hashbrowns and then either waffles, pancakes, or french toast; then a selection of breads, cereals, pastries, yogurt and fruit. We were most impressed with the omelet station as it had a nice variety of ingredients to choose from. We ate early, but it looked to get pretty busy later in the morning. It was also busy for lunch and dinner but we did not eat there. We did go to the Blue Point Provision Company restaurant that is on the resort grounds but in a separate building about 1/2 mile away which we were not impressed with and for which I have a separate review.

Overall we enjoyed out stay, but think it would have been a little more enjoyable on a non-holiday weekend with fewer kids. (we like kids very much, but it seemed that there were a number of groups of families that went to the resort together and the kids were given free reign to run around while the parents lightly supervised them, certainly not the resorts fault). If going for more than a weekend the food options would likely get old, the town of Cambridge doens't have a wide variety of restaurants, but Easton is only about a 30 min drive as another option. Parking is a rather long walk from the guest rooms but is mostly inside past the ballrooms and meeting rooms.

Room Tip: top floor rooms have nice high ceilings, but ask to be placed away from the elevators
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed in December and even in the winter, this property is awesome. In fact, it was quiet which made it an even more enjoyable weekend retreat. The grounds are perfectly kept, service was excellent and welcomed us with a 'check in mojito' -- rooms are nice, won't blow your mind, but clean, cared for furnishings. They had a nautical feel to them. Good restaurant options, huge portions and quick room service. 3 pools (one indoor). Outdoors they offer small beach to sunbath (although too cold for us), golf course and marshmallow roasting after dark!

Room Tip: You want to be in the Chop Tank RIver side/manor lawn side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was my first time visiting this resort and will definitely not be my last! We arrived Sunday evening for a 5 night stay. Our days were filled with training seminars but our evenings were complete with fun. We spent our evenings in front of the fireplace in the lobby bar sipping the very best Sangria's ever (Diamond Sangria). The atmosphere was extremely relaxing.
The spa was perfect. As a testimony to just how much it was enjoyed, several colleagues continued to return for service after service: facials; pedicures; hot stone massage; and the deep tissue massage all received high praise.
We also utilized the gym 3x during our stay. It was clean; fresh towels and filtered water were readily available. And, of course, the view was spectacular.
We ate at the hotel too: the crab caesar salad was my favorite.

The hotel store was great too. They sell Starbucks products and Edy's ice cream, as well as other fun goodies. They sell s'mores kits which we bought and used one evening at the outdoor fire pit. Total FUN!!

The food prices are a bit high but the rooms do include refrigerators. I suggest you bring some items with you to help with the cost of eating. Microwaves are also available for a per day cost.

Dominoes delivers to the hotel! I rode the elevator with a delivery person; he said they deliver to the room; the pool..pretty much wherever which I think is extremely cool on the part of the hotel.

The indoor pool was a big hit. I didn't use it but it looked really nice. They offered "dive in movies:" people in the hot tub and pool could enjoy family-friendly movies shown on a large movie screen.

I left wanting to come back...I hear there are tons of other fun outdoor activities too. Including a mini gold course; a regular golf course; and the outdoor pool.

Room Tip: I was in room 4207 which was a beautiful view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Urbana, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I took our 7 month son for a weekend getaway to this hotle. We wanted to go somewhere with a nice environment and a good indoor pool. We have stayed there before and new that we would get just this. We were greeted with big smiles and a free upgrade. The breakfast buffet has everything you may want for breakfast and the staff was very kind and understand-especially since our son was just starting to use his voice more- at a very loud level. Very accommodating. the place is clean and offers many acitivities for the entire family. i hppe to return when my son is older so he can join in all the games they offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Last night , I looked and the bed and breakfast package for my husband and myself for the last weekend in April. . It showed me a king size water view. Price per night including breakfast and late check out. The rate was 213.xx per night plus taxes and fees. The total was to be aprox. $525.00 give or take. I would need to prepay 1 night in advance. I didn't have my credit card handy so I decided to finish it in the morning. This morning all of a sudden the samee package is 279.00 per night or 224.00 per night paying both nights in advance. I called the hotel directly and spoke to two different people who were at best condescending or implied that I was apparently having hallucinations , lying or don't know what I was talking about. Wow, that certainly puts a different spin on a weekend end getaway. I guess I'll look at the National Harbor or Baltimore inner harbor area. Regardless of where we decide I doubt it will be a Hyatt property.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ChesaBayManagement, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We apologize for the experience had while booking a trip to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay. The $213 per night is a pre-pay and stay rate. It requires prepayment and includes the room only. If preferred dates are input on the website again, this rate should pop-up again. The Bed and Breakfast is a package that includes accommodations, daily breakfast for two, and late check-out, which is why the rates are slightly higher. Again, we apologize for the confusion over which rate/package was referred to. We would be happy to assist further as needed. And, please know we appreciate interest in our resort.

Warm Regards,
Cari Ruppert
Associate Director of Sales
Baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was impressed driving up to the resort in Cambridge, MD... looked like we were going to a Disney resort since it was massive. Of course, this is a good and bad thing... great that there were so many amenities, but sometimes it's nice to go to a smaller, more intimate hotel. Parking was really far from the actual hotel, but we were able to drive up to the front to get our stuff up and use a rolling garment rack.

We got the AAA rate with breakfast for two in Feb for less than $150... not too bad. But once the hotel fees and taxes were included, the rate went up to almost $200.

The hotel had a mix of kids and adults... but since we were on a girls' weekend, I would have preferred more adults and less kids! There was an indoor pool, a bunch of conference rooms, a game room, a gym, a spa and a few restaurants along with a gorgeous view. My friends got smores in the evening, and we sat near the bar in the lobby. The only problem was we wanted to play mah jongg in the lobby, and there was really no place to play. I would think a hotel this large has more public areas.

In the morning, I went to the gym which was surprisingly crowded for 7am on a Sunday morning (again, one of the drawbacks of a hotel this large). The hotel didn't have that many pieces of equipment... someone was waiting when I got off the treadmill... and there was one TV in the corner... hard to see when you're on a treadmill. However, there were cold facecloths, which was a nice touch.

We attempted to go to breakfast at 9:30, but there was a 45 minute wait despite the dining room only being half full. Yikes! We were able to get the breakfast buffet to go. My only other complaint were the double beds which were REALLY small when you're sleeping with a friend.

All in all, a good trip, and despite the drawbacks, I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
We truly appreciate the feedback and are so glad to hear about the positive experiences at the resort. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly resort, but recognize that it can be more chaotic and sometimes popular areas can crowd on peak days. Our team has recently implemented services and special hours for ‘adult-only’ time and space. And, we are continuing to strategically offer a variety of dining options to prevent wait times. We hope to welcome you back soon to our four-diamond resort.
Warm Regards,
Cari Ruppert
Associate Director of Sales
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

A family birthday celebration took us to the Hyatt for a March weekend. We were five adults and five children ages 5-12. Everyone had a wonderful time. This is a beautiful place on the Chesapeake Bay near Cambridge, Maryland, two short hours from the Washington, DC area, ideal for a winter family vacation with the most beautiful indoor pool imaginable, a spacious game room, miniature golf, a fireplace to make s'mores in the evening. For adults, a gorgeous spa. In season, there are many pools, golf courses and tennis courts. The food is excellent and the staff lovely. We are eager to return in the summer.

Room Tip: Request a water view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!