“Beautiful backyard and views, but very dated and worn out indoors” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lodgecliffe on the Choptank B&B

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Lodgecliffe on the Choptank B&B
You added Lodgecliffe on the Choptank B&B to your Saves list
103 Choptank Terrace, Cambridge, MD 21613   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Beautiful backyard and views, but very dated and worn out indoors”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The views are truly gorgeous. You can see far into the horizon and widely so sunsets are beautiful. There are nice walks along the water closely as well. The hosts Autumn and Kathryn were incredibly nice and stuck to their private quarters so guests feel like they are free to enjoy the communal spaces. Breakfast is served at 8:30 promptly in the covered porch which also has a lovely view. That said, the place is in desperate need of remodeling and upgrading. We stayed in the Jim and johns room, and the bathroom was beyond dilapidated. Tiles were missing in the floor, moldy tiles in the shower that need recaulking. No robes, just towels that were very pilly so after drying myself off I had to pick off little bits of towel stuck to my face before I put on lotion. It just didn't feel clean, and the second day the bed was made but the bathroom wasn't cleaned - there was still soap residue on the sink and no vacuuming, etc. Also, the bed was hard as a rock. The breakfasts were okay, but I think calling them gourmet is a bit of a stretch. The tea time baked goods put out were also several days stale, it was like they sliced up their own leftovers for the guests. I think it is overpriced unless you're going to take advantage of the free wine (mini wine bottles), otherwise you really feel like costs are cut everywhere else. As I said, the hosts were incredibly nice, but I think the owners have cut costs too much. Also, they kindly told us as repeat guests we would save 15 percent if we came back for another stay. That would be more like the right price (about $150 instead of $180 for peak weekend night) given the experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
lodgecliffe, Manager at Lodgecliffe on the Choptank B&B, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
We are certainly glad that you were able to come in and enjoy the scenery and the hospitality here at Lodgecliffe. We pride ourselves on having both an amazing location and having the warmth of genuine hospitality.
The feedback you gave was valuable, and we wanted to address some of your comments. -Although reviews are a great medium, they are one-dimensional by nature, based on individual preferences and perceptions. One of the most challenging aspects in the travel industry is managing expectations for the public, when personal tastes vary widely. We are a bed and breakfast in a house that was built in 1898. As such, we try to make the amenities both very inviting and environmentally responsible. We are a successful b&b, precisely because this house has a depth of character and natural beauty that are authentic. If we tried to appeal to those who want the sleek modern lines and dispassionate service of a posh hotel, they would be severely disappointed here. We constantly perform upkeep on the house. There are only two of us, so during busy season, you are absolutely correct, we have to wait until the quiet season to make more elaborate renovations. That said, we never sacrifice quality, or ‘cut corners.’
To address some of your points, the towels you mentioned, have been spoken of highly by our guests consistently, with requests of purchasing their own. They are new and come from an extremely reputable company. But, we will look into that matter.
Sadly, the food was clearly disappointing to you –which would have been helpful to know during your stay, rather than in retrospect with no possibility of remedy. We have been praised in hundreds of reviews online, in our guest book, and especially in person by guests who love the food here. We have been asked to publish a cookbook more times than we can count. We grow our own organic fruits and vegetables to serve guests, fresh from our garden. And we source local ingredients from local farmers with wholesome practices. We use real ingredients, and use real love in preparing them –without sacrificing flavor or integrity for those who have special dietary needs. We have no way of knowing what you were expecting by way of flavor or choices, but if you had read our other reviews, it seems you would have been more aligned with how important it is for us to serve fresh, mouth-watering, yes, gourmet breakfasts. The tea-time treats, we put out in afternoon for our guests to enjoy at their leisure. Last weekend, during your stay, they had to be refilled numerous times. So, although your comments erroneously suggest we would put out stale left-overs, this is not only inaccurate, it’s inappropriate considering they were enjoyed thoroughly by the other guests.
The last matter goes to address the cleanliness of your room. Each day, we make all of the beds in guest rooms, tidy up what is appropriate, and make sure all amenities are restocked every day. How guests leave their room during their stay, is entirely up to them. We do our best to make sure the rooms are clean and inviting, but we cannot tidy up materials that are not ours to manage. The lack of cleanliness that you found after you started staying here, was based on your style of inhabiting your room, rather than our shortcoming in making it hospitable.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I made a reservation on their online system, which showed a room available. After booking the room, I called them up to add another night to the booking. The phone calls go straight to voicemail and they do not respond to emails. I literally had to track them down on FB to get a response. To top it all off, when they finally got back to me, I was told that my room was already booked and a computer glitch allowed me to book it. I could have lived with it, if they indeed got back to me within 24 hours as they say they would, and not a week later. The only reason I am not giving this place 1 star, is because I did not actually stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Sitting in a garden chair over looking the Choptank on a still May evening was almost a zen experience. Breakfast overlooking the beautifully planted garden was a wonderful start to the day. Kathryn cooked the most wonderful breakfast, Cheaspeake pancakes I think, which we had never eaten before and we discovered a mutual passion for growing vegetables. It was a lovely pause in a big road trip we did up the east coast. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
McLean, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just returned from a weekend at this lovely B&B on the Choptank river. Greeted by Autumn and later by Kathryn, we had all our needs met and enjoyed all the amenities of this lovely home. Our room on the ground floor was large and well appointed. The bed was super comfy. The breezeway just outside our room offered lovely porch-like sitting with an uninterrupted view of the river and the sunset. Two osprey nests sat on either side of the property and the grounds were lovely as well. Would be remiss if I didn't mention the amazing 3-course breakfasts involving local organic butters and yogurts, artisinal jams, homemade muffins and other yummies all lovingly prepared and served. What would I change or hope would be different? Nothing. Don't miss this treasure tucked away in Cambridge, MD. And if you plan to visit Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, this is a great location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Kathryn and Autumn's hospitality is the kind that sticks in your mind - indeed I'm writing this almost three months after staying at Lodgecliffe. Normally, I'm not the best sleeper, but at Lodgecliffe I slept like a log. Was it something to do with the sound of the water lapping against the shore, or was it just the deep comfort of the bed or the high-thread cotton sheets? Was it that perfect mix of civilisation and seclusion? Was it the fact that I had the ground floor bedroom on the right with my own door onto the decking and that fantastic view across the water?
You can tell a lot about people by how they react when you've done something which, however inadvertent, must be annoying. With me, it was losing my room key on the second day. Don't even think about it, said Autumn, when I apologised. Not even a frown!
Anyway, they're great cooks, have thought long and hard about the kind of place they want to run, they want it to be better than the rest, and they've introduced all sorts of things that make sure it is. I loved staying with them,

Room Tip: Ground floor on the right facing the water - got to be the best!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hanover, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I travel to Cambridge once or twice a year to do triathlons. LodgeCliffe is perfect venue. Location is fantastic, food is awesome, service is great, and the Inn itself is amazing. The Inn is right on the Choptank river and the views and are amazing. Breakfast is included and is amazing.

For the two big triathlons in Cambridge, LodgeCliffe is perfect -- right near the race venue,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Lodgecliffe's location on the Choptank River was beautiful. There is a wonderful view of the river from the back deck of the inn, and we watched ospreys from a nest not far from the deck. We really appreciated the calm and quiet when we learned that the hotel where we had initially considered staying had five weddings while we were in town. Our room had a private entrance and was very clean and comfortable, although the shower was very tiny. Autumn and Kathryn were great hosts. They have their own garden and purchase their food from local growers, and it was apparent that their amazing breakfasts contained the freshest ingredients. We were in Cambridge to visit the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, and we plan to return in the fall during the migratory season. We will definitely stay at The Lodgecliffe when we return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lodgecliffe on the Choptank B&B? Share your experiences!