“Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have spent almost three weeks in Laurel, Maryland and have eaten sushi in Baltimore and DC, and Zen is by far the best I have found during my stay. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the sashimi.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
Burtonsville, Maryland
“Excellent Asian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This place is a wonderful gem in an area severely lacking in good chinese/japanese cuisine. I went here for the lunch special with Gen. Tso's chicken, vegetable fried rice, and a cup of egg drop and corn soup. The meal was delicious, not greasy, with the right amount of spicy heat. The portions were just right and at under $7, it's a better value than the other hole-in-the-wall chinese establishments in the area. The dining area is a blend of chic modern with asian inspired knick knacks and conservative colors. They have a full bar as well. I was told that they opened about a year ago and so everything looks new. There's plenty of parking - they are located in a newly built shopping area with lots of empty stores so there's no risk of overcrowding.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“Top notch, very nice sushi bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Just enjoyed my first visit to Zen for dinner. The sashimi was fresh, top notch. We ordered the seaweed salad very nice with a slight tang to it that made it extra tasty. We ordered 2 sushi roll specials, the Cherry Blossom and the Wild FIre (it was literally flaming when it was brought to our table). Both highy recommended, I liked the Wild Fire the best, slightly spicy + the "wow" factor of it's presentation. Oolong tea was our tea of choice. Many other sushi restaurants offer only green tea, Zen had oolong, jasmine, or green tea. Served in a small iron tea pot, it was a stylish and authentic way to enjoy our tea. The decor was very nice and seemed to add to the entire ambiance of the establishment. The hostess was friendly, seated us right away, the service was excellent and attentive. All in all a very good experience- highly recommended.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“very good pan asian + the friendly staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

we are so grateful for zen -- great new addition to burtonsville! the staff is very friendly + nice, we usually do takeout but always sit at the bar and sip green tea while we wait -- love the crab rangoons, drunken noodle and the special sushi rolls (especially the volcano!) are really good. we haven't tried everything on the menu by any means, but its becoming a popular (almost weekly) visit for us!

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, Maryland
“Finally, an upscale oasis in Burtonsville!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012 via mobile

The first time I walked into Zen I was greeted by an amazingly friendly staff. I always test a sushi restaurant on the quality of its sashimi. The first bite of salmon sashimi sold me. It was perfect! My 8 year old grandson learned to eat Sushi at Zen and now when asked where he wants to go eat it's nearly always Zen! Phil and staff, you are the best! The modern, light-filled restaurant is a welcome addition to the area.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere