“Ideal location for DC sightseeing” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Chicago
“Ideal location for DC sightseeing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

As our son has gotten older, we've found that having a suite instead of a typical hotel room is the best way to make everyone happy! The location of this hotel is hard to beat - a less than two minute walk to the Metro elevator entrance. My family had a king one bedroom on the sixth floor and we all enjoyed our stay very much. Housekeeping did an excellent job and the valet and front desk staff were efficient and pleasant. We made good use of the kitchenette for leftovers and snacks but I thought having the bathroom only accessible through the bedroom was a bit strange. The bed was very comfortable and we slept like rocks every night. Our view left a bit to be desired ( the back loading dock and a parking lot) but I never noticed any noise at all. I would happily return to this hotel the next time we're visiting the Washington DC area.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

Our family visited Washington DC in Spring break 2010 and through an online search I found a good price and location for a suite at Residence Inn Bethesda MD. After a 14 hour drive it was a relief to be welcomed by helpful valets and efficient staff. Our relief increased when we entered our suite and found it spacious and very crisp and clean. There were two television sets which helped different choices and everyone had enough space to relax and rest. The breakfast included hot and cold choices and satisfied different tastes. The breakfast staff too were friendly and helpful. We got caught in rush hour traffic a few times but next time we hope to use the subway. And we will choose the Residence Inn again when we next visit Washington. Excellent value.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

Parking in front of the hotel is very limited, so the first thing you'll be happy about is the attentive outside staff. Downtown Bethesda is a warren of one-way streets with plenty of traffic, but once you figure it out you'll be able to find lots of near-by public parking (free on the weekends, requiring lots of quarters the rest of the time).

There were six of us but plenty of room in our two-bedroom suite - probably the most comfortable, spacious place we penny-pinchers have stayed in. The kitchen is well stocked, the bathrooms more than adequate, the beds comfortable, three large screen TV's, plus wi-fi with well thought-out (though small) office space. Between our three teenagers and picky adults we put the place to the test for three nights and it was not found wanting. We even liked the free breakfast with its something-for-everyone variety.

Within a few blocks are plenty of restaurants, a great farmer's market, and the METRO, which we used regularly to visit various parts of DC. The payment system is needlessly complicated, but its fast, clean, and goes everywhere. Shoppers will find very little within walking distance, but go one stop in-town of the train and all that changes.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

This hotel worked well for our visit to DC with kids aged 8-18. It was cheaper than getting two rooms and we could close the door to the double-queen bedroom so the older teen could have some privacy on the roll out sofa and stay up later to watch the TV in the lounge. There was a small in-room kitchen and little dining table which were very useful becaue the breakfast closed at 9am weekdays but we could take some food up to the room for the teens who slept in. The hot and cold buffet breakfast, as recommended by others on this website, was included and was pretty good. Staff at the breakfast were pleasant and helpful. Everything was clean, bathroom spacious, staff courteous without exception. It's a 5-minute walk to the Bethesda Station elevator or a couple more the the escalators. Nearby eateries include the unique Mongolian BBQ which was a hit with all the kids. I chose this based largely on TripAdvisor recommendations and was glad I did.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Northampton, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

My son and I recently traveled to the DC area from Massachusetts on vacation. Our first couple of days in DC we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn (directly across the street from the Residence Inn). The stay there was just lovely. Fresh, clean room with microwave and small refrigerator; smallish indoor pool/w jacuzzi; friendly and accommodating staff; delicious breakfast buffet (that was included in our room price- we did a 3-in-1 deal that also included our parking); and self-parking. We left the Hilton to go camping for 3 days at Assateague Island National Park. On our return stop to DC, I had reserved 4 nights at the Residence Inn, thinking we would have a lot of left over food from camping and it would be nice to be able to cook it using the kitchenette in a suite.

Well, I wish I had just stuck with the Hilton because from the minute I made the reservations, there was a problem. I had originally booked the room for 3 nights- Fri, Sat, and Sun. After realizing that this meant my son and I would be camping for 4 nights, I decided to go ahead and book the Thurs. just in case camping got a little to rough at the end of the trip. When I called to book that Thurs, the reservation specialist callously told me that she would have to change the rate on each night from $107 to $125, simply because I wanted to check-in on a Thurs. She refused to accommodate me and instead forwarded me to the Customer Service line, at which point I spoke with a representative who was able to convince her to keep my rate the same on the original reservation and only charge me $125 for the Thurs. night. I accepted this begrudgingly, but already had a bad feeling about the staff and this Marriott's ability to deliver quality customer service. (BTW- I am aware of the difference in pricing rooms on different nights. The hotel is in the business district of Bethesda and so, of course, it is more expensive on weeknights, but extending my stay by one day after I've already committed to spend over $400? That's just rude!)

When I pulled into the Residence Inn after a long drive back from camping at Assateague, I was relieved to get there and was immediately approached by a valet driver. I told the man I wasn't interested in using the valet service, as the website (as well as the repeated email confirmations I received) plainly stated there was a $20/day parking fee and $20/day valet parking fee. This may seem like a petty distinction, but as someone who was just camping and essentially traveling out of my car and not a suitcase, it was important to me to have unfettered access to my vehicle, as well as to not have valet drivers in my vehicle with all of my belongings. I also did not want to tip someone every time they fetched or parked my car, which after a 4 day stay would have added up to at least $10 (if I was being stingy).

Well, I assumed the valet drivers were just aggressive and went inside to check-in. It was then that I truly realized just how rude both the front desk staff and the assistant manager was.

My son has asthma, so I wanted to ensure that we would not be placed in a room that was formerly a smoking room. The man at the front desk rudely stated that Marriott rooms had been smoke free for YEARS. Well, it turns out they have been for 4 years, but as someone who hasn't stayed at a Marriott in several years (I usually opt for the Hilton or the Hyatt), I had no idea. After he checked us in, I asked if he had included the parking on my bill, at which point he informed me that it was valet only. I told him that was NOT what I was expecting and not a fact that I based my reservation on. He said that was the only option, unless I wanted to self-park in the public garage 2 blocks away. Well, I could have done that, except I had a lot of belongings that I needed to bring in and I needed to have access to my car. Plus, it was the evening and I had no idea how to park overnight in an unknown garage that wasn't staffed. (I learned they weren't staffed late at night from my stay at the Hilton). I became pretty upset over this because my other bad experiences had already put me off about this place. I asked to speak with the manager. After the assistant manager bantered with me in plain view of other guests for over 5 minutes in the lobby about the discrepancy between the website/confirmation information regarding parking and the actual parking situation, he finally conceded to giving me $15 to pay for my tips. He was very rude and he had a "take it or leave it" attitude- as if he could have cared less if I stayed or left. Because of this poor advertising, I spent the next 4 days running the poor valet guys back and forth to my car to get random items we needed over the course of our stay.

The room was nice enough, but was definitely not very clean. This hotel allows pets, so if you are allergic, then stay away! My son and I woke up sneezing and stuffy every morning. From what I have read from other guests, they charge a pretty hefty clean-up fee for pets, but they are clearly NOT using that money to clean very thoroughly.

The refrigerator: the whole reason for our stay here! It semed to be in decent working order when we got there and it was late, so I quickly unloaded our food from the cooler into the fridge. The next day I noticed that half of our food had frozen. I checked the dial and it was set to 5 (out of 7), so I dropped it down to 3. We left for the day to head into DC and when I got back, the rest of our food was frozen. It took a drop all the way down to 1 to get this clunker to perform properly, but by then, all the food I brought with us was ruined. Not wanting to bother with the hassle of the valet driver and not wanting to take the risk of more food spoiling, we never went food shopping again, thus making the whole point of staying here a moot one.

The "complimentary" breakfast was just plain nasty. By the 4th day, the only thing my son and I could stomach was the cold cereal and bagels. The eggs were runny, the potatoes were undercooked, the waffles were soggy (they only had a waffle machine one day), and there was a poor selection of fruit, unless you care for a steady rotation of cheap, over-ripe melon. Plus the breakfast area was extremely crowded and noisy at all hours of the morning because they offer breakfast to all of the guests. This clearly explains why the breakfast is so haphazardly thrown together, but still . . . I think they could have tried a little harder.

The pool was ok. It's on the roof, but even on a sunny day, you wouldn't know it because it's half-shaded by another building. There was no jacuzzi and it closed early (8 pm on Thurs. and 9 pm on Fri, Sat) which was a disappointment to not just me, but another guest as well.

The final straw came on our last day there- Sunday- when I realized we had missed a lot of attractions in DC and thought about staying an extra night. I called the front desk to inquire about extending our stay and was greeted by the same rude man who had checked us in. He informed me that the rate would be $269 for the night. I almost burst out laughing. From $107 to $269? Was the rudeness and poor service included in that price?!?! He said "he could not do anything more" and asked if I wanted to speak with the reservation desk. I declined, remembering how that went the first time.

Needless to stay, this is the worst stay I've ever had at a Marriott and I worked for them many years ago, so I know what their standards are (or at least what they used to be). I never treated a guest the way I was treated (as if I was dispensable) nor did I ever see a fellow associate treat a guest in such a way. I am shocked at how low their standards and their level of customer service has gone. I will never stay at a Marriott again after this experience.

The only good thing about this hotel is that it's right across the street from the Metro station and a close walk to the downtown area. But then again . . . so is the Hilton!

Bottom line- unless you are staying in the area for several weeks or more and are positive you will use the kitchen facilities, do yourself a favor and stay at the Hilton. If you think you can live with a teenier fridge (that actually works!) and a microwave, it is a much better hotel and a better deal. In fact, the price comes out to be about $10 less per night and that's with private self-parking and a delicious, hot, made-to-order breakfast buffet included.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
HotelResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
I am writing to address the several issues to which you write about your stay at our hotel. I am sorry that you your stay here was not what you expected or what others have experienced here before. Unfortunately we only have valet parking, while I wold liked to have offered you self parking our spaces are limited being an urban hotel and our cars are in a secured area. The only choice we have to offer our guests is the public garages around the corner form the hotel. I could see how you wanted to have your belongings secured and I am sorry if you you felt the staff was being matter of fact. In all of our reseravtion systems I have checked and they all say valet parking only. I too find the condition of the refridgerator unacceptable and I am not usre if you reported it not working as we would have surely replaced it and or your groceries. Our complimentary hot breakfast buffet is made fresh daily and variety is rotated so as not give the same breakfast experience twice in a row. We do tend to be busy on weekends with families due to our all suite rooms and proximity to the metro. Unfortunately we can not tell when families come down and sometimes it gets quite crowded as people tend to sit and enjoy the morning. You would never know we have seating for over 60 people.

Again I apologize that you had a less than expected experience at the Residence Inn. I hope in the future you will give Marriott another try.
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is our second time to the same hotel. We loved the experience last year and decided to come back. We love the location (reminds us of young & eglinton area in Toronto). We love the spacious rooms and when travelling with kids they need their space! The breakfast was always a hit and we enjoyed the tues-thurs evening happy hours-although the one night the kids were expecting fries with their hot dogs and instead the offerings were only salad. One night my husband & I were looking forward to the meatloaf,but instead it was homemade pizza and salad...needless to say the kids were thrilled. My daughter was disappointed thatt their was no ice cream..she remembers last year having ice cream sundaes after supper....... so she would recommend ice cream or at least some cookies. The staff were always very courteous & kind and I have NO complaints at all around the staff. The rooms were clean and we have one on the 11th floor. The pool is the only complaint if we had to give a complaint as it is more of a lap pool. The Indian restaurant two doors down was amazing and the barking dog is a great place to have a quick drink (they always had drink specials). the kids loved the fact that Barnes & Noble was only minutes away. The Metro is only minutes away too. The movie theatre was kinda neat as the seats were very comfy and not too many in thet heatre so we felt as though we had the whole theatre to ourselves. One other complaint is that we found the parking kind of steep also we always travel with a portable dvd player and unfortunately the flat screen tv;s just aren't equipped for some reason for this...so the limited tv channels would be another pet peeve. We had a great holiday to Washington DC and if we came back we would absolutely stay at the same hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Upstate New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I was in Bethesda MD on business and was booked into this hotel as it was one of the only rooms available in town. The massive confusion at the car valet parking stand (no on street or lot parking available in this downtown location) was an omen of things to come. The guys working there were nice enough, but the lack of a system and inability to communicate to guests left me amazed I ever saw my car again.

The front desk area appeared like it might have been under construction, but the whole lobby had a spare depressing feel to it. The check in process was quick enough, however.

Upon entering my 12th floor room the room did not feel clean... not a single thing I could point out, just a lack of sparkle and shine and a slight lingering smell. Above all else, I want my room to look and feel sanitary... this one didn't. The 2 room suite was spacious and the furniture was comfortable enough. There was an air "purifier" in the room, something they tout as a feature in this hotel, bit I think it contributed to the odd smell. The machine was certainly noisy, so I shut it off. The hotel was quiet, which was good for sleeping and the air conditioning worked well. In the morning there was an unremarkable free breakfast buffet.

This is one hotel I was glad to leave. To make matters worse, my bill (with tax and $20 overnight parking fee) came to almost $400. Yikes! For that money I expect substantially nicer accommodations than what the Bethesda Marriott Residence Inn delivers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
HotelResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
I am truly sorry that your stay here was not what you expected. While we only offer valet parking due to our downtown location, there are two public garages a block away. I have shown your review to our valet manager to ensure that they provide the best service possible as well as point out the garages for anyone wishing to park themselves. We pride ourselves in our Pure Rooms, which are allergy friendly. I am sorry that it was not up to your standards. The staff that maintain those rooms are highly trained to clean them with products that have no fragrances or allergens. We have checked our purifiers and find them to be working well. I have talked with our staff in an effort to make sure that all of our rooms show well for all of our guests.

Been to Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown? Share your experiences!