“Has everything you need!!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Winter Park, FL
“Has everything you need!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

We were in town for a military retirement and this hotel accepted dogs and was close to our party. We arrived late and they got us checked in quickly and were very pleasant. The room was very clean and had a small kitchen...too bad we were only there a day. There is a construction sight right next door so if this bothers you, this is not the hotel to stay at. As I mentioned, we were there late and left before noon so I didnn't notice any noise. We had pets and the hotel was very accommodating. Since we got in late, we ordered from a delivery service for dinner which arrived quickly and it was good. The room did not smell like smoke and was very clean. Bathroom has nice towels and hot water. The bed linens were comfortable as well. This hotel is right downtown Bethesda.

• Liked — Great amount of space with kitchen
  • Disliked — Construction next door
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Netanya
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

The hotel is well kept, both outside and in. The staff is friendly and helpful. the rooms are quite comfortable. We made note of concern about an allergy when reserving, and they put us on the 12th floor wihich has been specially outfitted to be non-allergenic, including an airpurifier in the room. The bed is the foam type and very comfortable. The configuration of the suite is great. The breakfasts are complete, and the breakfast room very nice. We even put in a shopping order which was to be completed within the day at no extra charge. The surrounding area has many shops and restaurants of all types.

• Liked — suite arrangement with separate room for bed
  • Disliked — had to walk several blocks to shopping, but could ask them to do it for free
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

The hotel is in a great location - close to many restaurants and to the Metro. The rooms are spacious and offer a kitchenette. Wireless internet access is free. Parking is valet only and is $18/night.

The staff is very friendly - I stayed for two weeks and by the end of the first week, I didn't even have to call for my car because they already knew my schedule!

The fitness room has new equipment - three treadmills each equipped with their own TVs. Also a stair stepper and/or elliptical machine - can't remember exactly.

My only complaint is the elevators. Sometimes they come quickly and other times they took five to ten minutes.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Elevators
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

Great value considering you get a suite, with a nice kitchenette and separate bedroom and living area, in downtown Bethesda across from a metro station. The quality of the finishings is good, with a large flat panel TV in each room, a small but highly usable kitchen stocked with utensils, and a comfortable bathroom. It is not 5 star, but I would trade the space and comfort of a 4 star suite for a 5 star room most of the time! The personnel at the front desk were always cheerful and helpful, and the breakfast in the morning offerred a good variety of hot and cold foods and was included in the price: there were scrambled eggs, sausage, fresh waffles, juice, cereal, yogurt, bagels and toast, hash browns, fresh fruit... If I retun to Bethesda and need a hotel this will be my number one choice. I stayed here 10 years ago and it was nice then as well - but they have kept up with the times by keeping the rooms fresh and the technology up to date. Highly recommended. Not inexpensive, but nothing in this area is. And here you pay a similar price but get twice the space and a good breakfast!

• Liked — The extra space and still high quality, also free wireless internet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed for a week at this hotel for a combo business/pleasure trip. He was attending a conference at a hotel across the street and I was going to wander around DC and the environs via Metro. The location was perfect. For anyone who hasn't been to downtown Bethesda, I can't recommend the area enough for people who like a variety of restaurants in all price ranges and cuisines, not to mention tons of local boutiques as well as a pretty good Barnes and Noble. This hotel was an easy two block walk to the Metro station on the Red Line (with about a 45 minute trip to downtown DC) and this station also served as a bus hub so I was able to use both to get around. The hotel was right off of a main road (Wisconsin Avenue), about 2 miles off of 495. There was a grocery store 3 blocks away with a great selection and reasonable prices as well as a gas station across the street with its own little store. The area was very walkable and we felt safe walking after dark without any concerns. The area is well lit by streetlights and most restaurants are open till at least 9 pm, most much later.

The hotel itself is a little older and I was a little concerned the day we were checking in. We were given a lovely 1 bedroom suite on the eleventh floor (out of 13 floors) and at the time only one elevator was working. I dreaded the thought of both elevators going out, but within a day both were humming along and there were no other problems the rest of our stay.

Residence Inn Suites have a standard style of red and black, modern furnishings, and tasteful decoration that I've always found very appealing. This hotel was no different. Our suite had a smallish kitchen with a full size refrigerator, dorm-sized microwave, small stove, stainless steel kitchen sink, and dishwasher. We only used the microwave and refrigerator during our stay but I assumed all else worked fine. The kitchen was furnished with ample dishes, pots, glasses, utensils, and tableware for a family of four -- even potholders and dish detergent was provided. There was nothing that was missing from a normal kitchen.

The entryway flowed into an open area that served as both dining room, work area and living room with the kitchen situated right off the entryway to one side. Each of these areas was populated by furniture denoting it's expected function: a dining table with two comfortable chairs lit by 2 pendant lights; a desk with a large desk chair and desk lamp; and a chaise, easy chair, coffee table, small dresser with an LCD TV, ottoman and two end tables with table lamps. The furniture was comfortable, in good condition, and suited Residence Inn's style. One thing I love about extended stay hotels is the larger channel choice on TV. This one had CNN, MSNBC, 3 ESPNs, local channels, Weather Channel, History, TNT, Fox News, CNBC and a few others. A pretty decent selection in my opinion.

We had no problem with the wireless Internet access that was provided free and an Ethernet cable was hanging in the closet as a backup. My husband and I each travel with a laptop and often both of us were online at the same time without any issues.

The hotel has 3 levels of underground parking garages and the convenience and security were well worth the $18/day parking charge. Accessibility to the garage is via elevator and you need one of the valet attendants to either bring your car around or take you to your car if you need to retrieve an item. Simply dialing an extension on the hotel phone to request our car had it ready and waiting 10 minutes later when we were ready to leave. Because of the walkability of the neighborhood, easy accessibility to the Metro, and abundance of local stores and restaurants we never moved our car between check-in and check-out. My husband did go down to the car with an attendant to verify the mileage we had done to get to the area and was very pleased with the garage set up. Valet attendants were on-hand at the hotel entrance 7 days a week and we found them all to be helpful and courteous. I'm not sure if you could self-park at the hotel.

Hotel staff at the registration desk were likewise polite, helpful, and understanding of our need to switch from personal to business and back to personal credit cards during the course of our stay. When asked about places in the area to dine, they provided us with a complete map of the downtown Bethesda area showing both restaurants by cuisine and price as well as other hotels in the area.

The bedroom area had a door closing it off from the living room/work area. The bathroom was contained within the bedroom area, though it had it's own door. The bathroom was quite large and could easily accommodate several people in different areas at the same time. It featured a generous vanity counter across the width of the bathroom facing a large mirrored wall with a stylish bathroom sink. Also in the bathroom was the standard commode and a tub/shower combination. All was in good condition, clean and ready to be used.

The bedroom itself was somewhat minimalistic in what it was furnished with but everything that we needed was there. It had a king-sized bed, a nightstand with 3 drawers , a small table on the other side of the bed, a 4 drawer dresser with an LCD TV, and a large closet complete with an iron and ironing board. The bed and pillows were the main thing we were unhappy with, but this is pretty much the same at most hotels we stay at. We tend to like a firm mattress and of course they are rarely firm at hotels. There were ample pillows, which was good because it took at least 2 pillows each to get comfortable. Still whatever minor problems there were it didn't stop us from getting good nights sleep the whole trip.

There was construction of another hotel going on right next door which started each morning at about 7 am. I must be getting good at tuning stuff out because it didn't stop me from going back to sleep when my husband went off to his conference or we were enjoying the vacation part of our trip. And I'm talking loud cranes moving heavy pieces of material from place to place. If that bothers you, stay away from the Residence Inn for a little bit. The other hotel, a Hilton Garden Inn, should be finished next year sometime (I think).

Still the hotel itself was quiet (minus the construction, though this ended by 2 or 3 each day). The hotel had a pleasant lobby, Internet terminals with printers offering a mix of free and pay-per-minute access, several easy chairs and an LCD on a news channel. The main level also had 4 rooms used for conferences and meetings as well as a ballroom on a half-level below the main registration area. The complimentary breakfast was served on the 2nd floor called the gatehouse which offered an area with buffet-style serving including a microwave, toaster and waffle-maker as well as ample dining space. There was also a terrace area adjacent with its own dining tables.

My husband made good use of the fitness center and enjoyed the elliptical machine. The equipment was all in good condition, well maintained, and the fitness center had keycard-controlled access for security. It had several treadmills, free weights, a water dispenser, and 2 elliptical machines and music was playing from either local radio or satellite that was tolerable. When my husband used the facility in the early morning he pretty much was on his own. There was a pool on the 13th floor in an outside area on the roof, but it was already closed by the time of our stay in mid-September. Our first Sunday there it was a heatwave and temperatures were well into the 90s. The pool would have been nice, but who would expect that kind of weather well into September?

We had a great stay and would definitely go back to the hotel again. Of course I did some shopping to kill time when my husband was in his conference so there was more to take home than we had brought. And of course we had much waiting for us to do at home and a 5 hour drive till we got there. So when we packed up we were rushing around and missed a few things. Nothing major or irreplaceable, but since I noticed them as soon as we unpacked that night I though I would check with the hotel about them. Sure enough not only with the housekeeping staff find everything we knew we had left, but several things we had put into a kitchen cabinet and completely forgotten about. I asked if the hotel could send the items back to us and they had no problem with the request. Within two days of first talking to them, the box arrived with everything. It had been shipped overnight at the hotel's expense. That kind of customer service stood out and I let the hotel chain know how much I appreciated it.

• Liked — Closeness to restaurants, Metro, and stores; Superior customer service of staff
  • Disliked — Pet-friendly policy - didn't like sharing an elevator with owners and their dogs
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
SF Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in mid-Sept while in the DC area for a conference. The recently renovated apartment was beautiful! There were actually 4 rooms: living room, bedroom, bathroom, and full kitchen (with granite countertops). The rooms were all a very good size and REALLY clean. The bedroom had a comfortable bed with plenty of pillows. The desk in the living room was nice- with a proper ergomomically designed office chair. There was also a comfortable (and attractive) recliner as well as a couch/chaise, 2 flat screen TVs, and useful tables, an ottoman, and dining table in the living room. The front desk & bell folks were nice and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was generous and satisfying (although not gourmet). They also had a computer with internet access and printer-at no cost- in the lobby. The disadvantages included a weak toilet flush, and a slow elevator. I often used the stairs- even though I was on the 7th floor, to get some exercise. The stairwell was "industrial" but quite clean. I've been impressed with Marriott's Residence Inn product lately. The Bethesda Residence Inn was impressive- especially for the price. Dining Tips: The Indian/Nepalese restaurant next door, Shangrila, was excellent, Potbelly sandwich shop is down the street for a quick good bite. The metro is about 1-2 blocks away, there's also a bus to DC. The Inn is within walking distance to several nice shops and restaurants.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — weak toilet
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

The Residence Inn in Bethesda is a great place to stay in the DC area. Even though it’s miles away from the downtown sightseeing venues, it is still quite convenient because of its close proximity to the Metro. Another plus is that hotels in Bethesda are usually a bit cheaper than the ones downtown. In addition, Bethesda is one of my favorite places to stay in the DC area. It’s a self contained community with a vibrant nightlife and wonderful restaurants. The rooms at the Inn were very nicely decorated and quite comfortable. Having a small kitchenette was very useful and helped us cut down on eating out. When we did eat out there were so many choices available to us, that it was hard to decide and all of them were within walking distance. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The only real complaint is the construction work going on next to the hotel, but that won’t last for much longer so it may not be an issue when we next go to DC. I would recommend the Residence Inn to anyone visiting DC.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown? Share your experiences!