“An Excellent Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Clifton Park, NY
“An Excellent Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I ended up staying here for three separate trips last year: once in February, and twice in June.

It's a little pricey, but worth every penny. Vehicles are parked under the hotel and only accessible by the valets. No worries about your car being broken into, damaged, or stolen.

There's a warm breakfast every morning & different options for dinner every weekday evening. I was a little bummed that we couldn't have dinner on Ash Wednesday because they were serving a meat dish for dinner that night, but I guess most people don't observe that anymore anyway. Considering the price of dinner at restaurants in the area, the fact that this hotel serves dinner makes it a great option.

In the rooms, the bedrooms are separate from the living space. I stayed in both a one-bedroom and a two-bedroom during my different stays. The format for both was pretty much the same. Separate bedroom(s) with the bathroom inside (two bathrooms in the two-bedroom unit), a couch that could comfortably seat two adults, a reclining chair, and a table with four chairs. The kitchenette had a nice sized refrigerator/freezer, a microwave, and a stove/oven, and a dishwasher. The daily meals are posted on the refrigerator. There's a nice-sized TV in the living room and in each bedroom. During my trips in June, we had a chance to use the pool. There's a lifeguard on duty & I found her to be very vigilant.

The lobby has an office area where you can fax, print, access computers, and find out about local events.

There is a Metro stop right across the street, so you can leave your car to travel into & out of DC very easily. I was actually visiting DC two of the times I stayed here.

My only complaint about the hotel was that it didn't offer many TV stations for children. We were lucky to find a movie for the kids on HBO one evening. Other evenings we watched Netflix on the iPad. I brought portable DVD players, but could not easily hook them up to the TVs.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My room was very comfortable, they had breakfast every day and three nights a week dinner was provided. More than that though was that my room was clean and comfortable. I had a prior experience at a Bethesda hotel where I could not breathe in the rooms. This was such an upgrade. I only ranked it 4 versus 5 because they were skimpy on lotion of all things. I got over it, but still.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I were in Bethesda for a National Institutes of Health meeting, and had been scheduled to stay and meet at the Marriott Courtyard Chevy Chase, a standard venue for such gatherings. The Courtyard had to cancel us out literally at the last minute since they had to shut off the water for some repairs. (I've stayed at this Courtyard regularly for NIH meetings, and this incident was bracketed by two others with problems: The time before, their wireless Internet was on the fritz, and the time following, we had to be moved elsewhere due to some other glitch, but that time there was plenty of warning. I suspect NIH is taking note of this matter and getting a little tired of it, but I'll label that as a conjecture.)

In any case, we were moved to the Residence Inn, and the suite we had there was fine, really a better class of accommodation than I was accustomed to at the Courtyard. Toss in the Residence Inn complimentary breakfast, which was quite good, and this is now my hands-down preference between the two hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
District Heights, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Eleven ladies including myself stayed at this wonderful hotel for the weekend. This hotel is located on the Red Line Bethesda Metro. The location is great, the staff was wonderful, this hotel is near restaurants, grocery stores.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Similar to other Residence Inn hotels. Very helpful staff. Slightly aged property. Air conditioning unit in my room was quite noisy but other than that everything was fine. Location is great for visits to Bethesda. Also, near metro.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
brooklyn ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The Hotel is very nice, the 1 bedroom suite I had was on the smaller size compared to what I’m used to when it comes to a residence inn but it was neat and clean (the furniture in my suite is starting to show its age). The pool closes at 8 pm or 9 pm I think, which is kind of early in the summer, the breakfast (free) and the breakfast room were both great. To me the best thing about the hotel is its location there are so many restaurants and shops around it makes up for all the quibbles mentioned above. The staffs were all very pleasant and big shouts out to the manager who sent an email before and after the stay checking if everything was alright (yes its generic but in my opinion it's a good practice). I will definitely be staying here again if i am in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed her for three nights this past weekend and thought it was a great location for a DC suburb hotel. It is very close to the Bethesda stop on the red line. It is only a a couple a few blocks away from a myriad of dining options in the Bethesda Row area. All of the staff was very polite and greeted us each time we entered the hotel. There are some nice sitting areas in a courtyard if you want to relax outside. I saw some families that had bought some pizzas and were eating out there. I would stay here again.

The only thing that I thought was out-of-balance was the $20 a day for valet parking with no self-parking available. Reading the posts here we opted to park at the Waverly Garage and it worked out great. A word on using the Waverly Garage. It is free parking from 10pm Friday night to 7am Monday morning. We arrived on Thursday and opted to park in the garage instead of the hotel. It is a metered lot and it is eighty cents per hour in the 15-hour (7am-10pm) max meters. I figured that the meters would accept a credit card swipe. Nope. Either bring a few rolls of quarters or sign up ahead of time at www.parknow.us to set up an account. You set up a credit card for payments and then when you park you call their number and designate the spot you are in. I used the website to pay for my spot all day Friday. Another note is that the meters do not have an IP address so the meter will say expired even if you have paid for the spot. I called the support about my concern with this and I was told this was normal and that the meter reader checked the spot based on the meter number.

Room Tip: Park at the Waverly Garage. See my tips in my review.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Shelly S, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hello Raleigh NC,

Thank you for choosing the Residence Inn during your stay in Bethesda. It is alway great to hear that our staff made a great impression. I will certainly share your comments with our team. Just like you, many of our guests find the access to the Metro is very convenient and make getting into DC quick and easy. Our weather has been unpedictable these days so, I am glad you were able to enjoy the courtyard to relax. In reference to parking, as with most hotels in the metro area, parking is limited and we find that our daily fees for valet are comparable if not slightly lower than the neighboring hotels. Your information regarding the public Waverly garage is helpful and is certainly an alternative to our service at the hotel. Thank you again. We look forward to hosting you the next time your travels bring you to the Bethesda area.

Sincererly,

Shelly

Been to Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown? Share your experiences!