“Nice room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Boulder, Colorado
“Nice room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Residence Inn Bethesda is well located, about a block from the Metro, & with lots of good restaurants
nearby. We had a one bedroom suite, two TV's. Very clean. Bed comfortable. Good shower. Good housekeeping service. Free breakfast was exceptionally good.
The overnight valet parking costs $20/day. Car retrieval was mostly very prompt, with only 1 or 2 times when
they were slow. On checkout, we were mysteriously overcharged $100 for the room, which was quickly
corrected. Would certainly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Rooms in back may be quieter than those facing Wisconsin Ave.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Shelly S, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hello Buzzy,

Thank you for the review on our hotel. I will certainly share your comment with all of our staff . It always reinforces how important they are to making our guests stay a great one. Please accept my apology for the billing error. I'm glad we were able to rectify prior to your departure. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Shelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This has to be one of the best non-luxury brand hotels around. You start the experience off with Valet parking (not your typical experience for similar brand hotels). The Valet's are incredibly nice (my four year old daughter loved them all). The hotel is midrise giving the immediate impression of a city (rather than suburb) type hotel. The rooms are your typical Residence Inn suite type rooms. The free breakfast is really great here including a great hot buffet.

Why you'l truly love this place is the location, however. You'll soon realize you are easy walking distance to both restaurant/shopping areas of Bethesda which is a good eating/night life town.

For local Bethesda residents who need a hotel for friends and relative coming for visits, this should be your first pick. Every friend or family members of mine who has stayed here has been very pleasantly surprised, including the ones who feel like they always have to stay at luxury brand hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hi Caazmark,

Thank you for the great review. I've shared it with our teams and they are thrilled to get such an awesome review. Your comments regarding our valet reinforces how important first impression upon arrival is. Thank you again. We are happy to take care of you and your friends and family whenever your in Bethesda.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I am writing this while I am still at the hotel. I thought I would write this after I got back home, but tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Residence Inn is a great chain. The have a wonderful concept for a hotel and some locations fully embrace that concept and provide not only a wonderful breakfast, but also a really great evening meal. This location however, is not one of those locations.

The hotel is really a nice hotel. It is a very convenient location that is about a half a block away from the Bethesda Metro elevator. The hotel has wonderful furniture and just about everything in terms of being a hotel are top notch. This is really a great location and you couldn't ask for a more convenient place to stay. It is a few blocks from quite a few restaurants and a very safe location to stay in.

Now back to that breakfast. I stayed here for several days. When I leave, it will have been six days. Quite a long haul and I guess most people don't stay that long. This makes things like the breakfast very important to me because I appreciate quality in the food that I eat as well as variety. I am no so sure you get both here. You do get free breakfast. But it seems to be the exact same breakfast. Scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage patties or turkey bacon. There are other stuff....like waffles or stale bread, but I am on a high protein diet and can't have carbs.

There is an evening meal/snack that they offer on Tuesday through Thursday. Tuesday it was BBQ chicken. I am guessing the immigrant workers they have working here don't have BBQ back where the come from, least they would have actually had BBQ sauce out to put on the chicken! Also, they wouldn't have baked the chicken in pans and made them hard as rocks. But if you didn't like that chicken, they gave you another opportunity because the next night they had fajitas with, yes, the left over BBQ....eh, baked chicken. The cut it into strips and throw it into a big serving dish...the same one that the scrambled eggs go in for breakfast...and that is their version of fajitas. No onions...no bell peppers....no taco or salsa flavoring.

And what probably ticked me off the most was the complete lack of anything to drink if you were on a sugar free diet. I asked the staff and they said I could have hot coffee....hot tea.....lemonade or water but nothing cool that like ice tea. I did complain to the front desk after the Tuesday night pretend BBQ chicken night but apparently customer complaints and suggestions are not that valued.

I do stay at Residence Inn a lot. I am a Marriott Gold Rewards member but that fact was lost on the staff when I complained about the lack of a drink for people who don't want sugar drinks. Let's see what they say when I write into Marriott to complain off the Rewards website.

This is a very nice hotel for sleeping. The bedding is comfortable and the heater/AC works very well. The plumbing has some problems as the hot water couldn't hold the same temperature for over 10 seconds.The bath towels are not that soft but they weren't sand paper like a recent Courtyard I stayed at in Phoenix at the airport, but they could be softer.

Now for the $100,000 question. Would I stay here again? No and yes. No, not if the other Residence Inn I like to stay at is available. The RI at Arlington Courtyard is my preferred choice even though it is farther away and takes a subway transfer to get to where I need to go. Yes, if nothing else if available.

Overall I am guessing this hotel was sold and bought by some group that is cutting corners to save money and maximize profits. I understand that but for a little extra, they could first class and get more business making even more profit. I might be a dinosaur and my expectations are so over the top that the hotel will laugh when the read this and order more ice water for the evening meal, but I am hoping that my comments make them take some action and increase the quality and variety of the food they serve.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We had 15 family members staying here for a Bar Mitzvah. The rooms were all clean, very large, newly renovated, well stocked. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast had a wide selection. We chose this hotel after looking at 4 others in the area. The location is central and an easy walk to the metro and restaurants. Our guests mostly used the county lot around the corner, which is free on the weekends, to avoid the valet cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed there for one night on business and came home with classic bed bug bites on my wrists and hands. Outside inspection by pest control company didn't find anything but it was pretty classic and pretty clear. Hotel manager was very nice in handling the situation but didn't follow-up with unless I made contact. Also disappointed that when I arrived, the bed was a bit messy, as if unclear whether it had been made or not (I asked them to change sheets, which they presumably/hopefully did). On top of that, one of my towels were stained and the heating didn't work very well. Not much good to say.........

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Shelly S, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us, and I apologize for your unpleasant experience. At the Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, and throughout Marriott, the safety, security, and overall wellbeing of our guests is our number one priority. Unfortunately, bed bugs are a very real issue when traveling today, and we take all claims of pests, including bed bugs very seriously. Our in-house staff is trained to look for signs of pests, and bed bugs during the daily cleaning of rooms and public spaces, and we have a third party complete pest inspection and prevention services routinely at our property. In the event a bed bug claim is brought to our attention, our third party pest control completes a thorough inspection of the room, and specific procedures are followed based on the finding. I will certainly share your comments in reference to the follow up and cleanliness of the suite with my team to ensure we are exceeding our guests expectation. Thank you again for your feedback.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel was very nice with wonderful rooms; even though it has no free parking, the valet service was excellent. Breakfast area is a bit cramped but very good selection. I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Shelly S, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Hi Ram232,

We appreciate the nice review of our hotel regarding your stay. During holidays and weekends when the hotel is full and our guests are enjoying a leisurely morning, we do have a tendancy to have everyone visit our complimentary breakfast buffet later versus earlier. In anticipation of the this we try to all the choices well stocked. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to additional visits.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

If business or pleasure takes you to Bethesda, this is a good choice of place to stay. The location is great, near the Metro red line (15 mins to dupont circle), plenty of parking options (incl $20 per night valet only at the hotel), and some nice touches (including free breakfast, decent gym room and, in summer, a rooftop pool). Free wifi throughout.

Our suite was large and well-appointed, though a little noisy (air conditioning, plumbing, lifts), but nothing too bad. Breakfast is basic and a bit of a free-for-all, but you can bring supplies back up to your suite.

Generic, reliable, recommended

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown? Share your experiences!