“Very Good Deal” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Chicago
“Very Good Deal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I came across this hotel at the very last minute, initially because of price and availability for a 2 night stay during the cherry blossom festivial/easter weekend. Plus we came with 3 other family members, so finding 2 adjoining rooms or an accommodating suite at the right rate, location and amenities was a challenge. It had a somewhat decent location to the DC center and cheaper parking rates ($5/hr, $12/daily). The daily rate was further reduced when they accepted AAA discount. They were even able to find 2 adjoining rooms. I was very happy that the staff and management threw in FREE PARKING and 2 mini refrigators upon arrival. (Please be advised, we were told that parking was complimentary at this time only, so we should not expect the same deal if we book this hotel in the future. Regardless, they seem to have cheaper parking rates compared to other hotels similarly situated). As far as the room itself, they are spacious and our twin toddlers thoroughly enjoyed running around and jumping on the King sized bed. Overall, it provided a very relaxing atmosphere after spending all day sightseeing.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Lewes, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

I booked this on Priceline for $60. Name your own. When I am doing the tourist/museum scene in DC, I just want to be near a Metro. Since I have paid upwards of $20 a night to park in Downtown hotels, the $12 fee did not seem so bad. Some Metro lots cost $5 a day and you have to walk a 1/4 mile to get to the train at times!

Hotel allowed me to check in at 10:15 AM. Published time for checkout is Noon. I got a double room lovely furnishings, comfortable bed, excellent linens. Big screen TV. Oddly, there was no ice bucket, yet an ice machine at the end of the hall. Also, there was no do not disturb signs, and even though the door was locked, the maids rapped three times on the morning of my checkout! A free newspaper was brought to my room. The pool is very nice and a glimpse of the outdoor pool looks as if this property would be perfect for a summertme visit. Also there was a hottub, very nice on the feet after walking all day. The swimming pool itself was very clean, and was a very pleasant temperature. An attendant was present in the evening, and had towels and changing rooms. You may take the elevator to the pool so that you need not go through the lobby. There is a very nice sized workout room.

The lobby is attractive and seems to have been remodeled recently. The bar/restaurant was relatively lively. The dishes I saw coming out were good looking and really not that pricey, I ordered a little snack and wine and everything I ordered was perfect. There were also some breadsticks for snacking.

My experience with the shuttle to the metro was positive. The bellman told me it departs the hotel every half hour on the hour and by request other times. I found this to be very convenient.

Despite some of the reviews here, I felt that I got a bargain and would be delighted to "win" a name your own price here again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

A very nice hotel. Beds and pillows are spectacular as usual for this chain. Nice toiletries.
Reception staff friendly and prompt.
Restaurant has excellent food although menu is a bit limited. Service good>
Shuttle schedule is not always predictable and slowed down by check points entering NIH. Pick up not timely at times.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

So this hotel is not in the city but you still have to pay for parking!?! The location is convenient if your visiting the NIH. However, I'd rather stay in Bethesda itself. I have stayed at this hotel a few times, booked by bidding on priceline. Therefore for the price I bid, it was a good deal. However, they charge you for parking so park on the street, just move your car by 7am. The rooms are not like a high end marriott, but I think thats universal. It was a nice hotel and the staff kinda knows me, treats me well even though I'm only silver and have loyalty to starwoods! Just use the hotel to stay the night and the gym. Don't eat at the restaraunt as its a rip-off and bethesda has over a 100 restaraunts to choose from!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2010

The positives: quiet, comfortable beds, clean, fitness center had good selection of equipment, decent value - our room rate was $89 per night plus taxes.
The negatives: location not within walking distance of any restaurants or stores - car dependent. Bathroom water pressure low, poor ventilation, room temperature too hot and could not be adjusted to be below 65 - thermostat probably not accurate. Same issue with fitness center too hot. Parking and internet were extra costs, no refrigerator in room. Maintenance issues - for example no clean earphones in fitness center on multiple days. Rooms small with low ceilings. Restaurant food was mediocre.

Bedside nightable drawer had copy of Bible and Book of Mormon (but no Koran or other religious texts).

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I was leaving my meeting and went outside for a cab. There was no valet or bellhop outside and a gentleman I had never seen approached me, pointed to his unmarked car and said 'I can take you, where you going?' As a very frequent traveler, I do not get into unmarked cars alone. I went back into the hotel reception to ask for a cab to be called for me. The gentleman followed me inside and insisted to the receptionist that he was indeed hired by the hotel.
In the end I waited for a cab that didn't come, and the next day a very similar story, and the next. I ended up walking, along Rockville Pike in my work clothes to the metro. The hotel staff should take better care of their guests transportation needs.
Also, there's no wifi in the meeting rooms.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

The hotel was lovely...the staff could not have been more accommodating. I was beginning a trial at NIH and really needed a relaxing place to stay after a long day of tests, etc. On our first morning, my mother and I discovered we had nothing but cold water in our bathroom. We informed the desk, and were assured it would be fixed. At the end of the day, we found we still had nothing but cold showers. The person at the desk was very apologetic, telling us that there was a note saying it had been fixed. But, since it had not been fixed, we were moved to a concierge floor, given free internet, and many coupons for free coffee. Not only did we now have hot showers, we were exceedingly impressed with the desire of the staff to make our stay as pleasant as possible. The hotel has a shuttle to the NIH, and if you're travelling at off times, just schedule a pick-up at the desk and they will take care of you. I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I will be returning to the NIH weekly for the next two months, and have already booked the Marriott for every trip. Thank you to the staff at Pooks Hill Rd!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!