“Marriott was ok...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
A TripAdvisor Member
“Marriott was ok...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2005

I dont know about you, but when I decide to stay at a name brand hotel, I expect a better result.
The room itself was nice, but I was put next to the parking garage, so I had to be careful not to take my close off with the curtains open = because the whole world would see me. Additionally, the bathtub did nto have a stopper so I couldnt take a bath (A true must for me in hotels).
With the renovations they are doing - I hope it becomes a better hotel!

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
south carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

Stayed at the hotel during Thanksgiving. Renovations are almost complete and was very satisfied with the room we were given. New carpeting,beds etc. Bathrooms were also updated and very clean. Small by hotel standards but I prefer clean to space.Definitely need a car. Convenient to 495 beltway, shopping and restaurants galore only 7 minutes away.Will stay here in the future. great property.

• Stayed November 2005
tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2005

We spent November 5 and 6 at this hotel. They have done a great job with their upgrade. New beds, linens, carpet, bathrooms, fixtures, furniture. Every thing was very nice. Fitness room was one of the best equiped we've seen. Everything worked well. There were free weights, treadmills, stair steppers, bicycles, various weight machines. Shuttle service to Bethesda worked well for dinner. Their list of recommended restaurants needs updating. The greek listing was mediocre. The next night we ate at Olazzo's - very good, inexpensive and not on their list. $8 parking charge is new. Not in walking distance of anything but very good access to beltway. Paid $20 more to get breakfast for two. Good typical Marriott buffet.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2005

I called Marriott to book a quiet king room adjoining a room with two double beds. The central reservations clerk called an assistant manager at the hotel to confirm this. When we arrived at the hotel on Friday night we found it was undergoing major construction. I was not told when I made the reservations.

However, I was assured that our king/double rooms would be very quiet and we headed up to the rooms. Both rooms had double beds. I tried calling the front desk and there was no answer, so I walked back down. After waiting 30 minutes we were told we were being upgraded to a suite with adjoining double room. We went back up to find the entire wing of the hotel was taken over by a rowdy middle school group. Even worse, there was a terrible burning smell in the hall. The bellman clearly smelled this but was ignoring it, and when I pointed out that there may be a fire, he called for help. While waiting the hallway we learned from another irate guest that construction would begin at 7AM in that wing of the hotel. We immediately went back to the front desk. Nobody at the front desk was aware of the possible fire. We were also told that they had no king/double rooms left in the hotel for Friday night. I will stop here - you get the idea.

I would avoid this hotel at all costs. If you are visiting NIH and need to stay close by, I would choose the Holiday Inn Select.

• Stayed September 2005
los angeles, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

I stayed here as part of a conference. This was also my very first trip to the Washington DC area.

The room was fine, nothing really spectactular, but comfortable. (Nice terrycloth robes for guest use hanging in the closet). There was a good restaurant in the hotel, though I was less impressed with the breakfast buffet than I was with dinner.

The hotel was somewhat isolated, in a residential area far away from any stores, shops, etc. There was nothing of interest within walking distance and the hotel gift shop had a somewhat limited selection/supply of incidentals (toothpaste, deodorant, etc.) A cab to/from Downtown Bethesda will run $8-10. The hotel will shuttle you to/from the Medical Center metro station for free, although the shuttle takes a long lunch break between noon and 3 p.m....

Or for a mere $1.25. you could take the city bus (Ride On #30) that stops right outside the hotel door. Cross the street and ride it to Medical Center Metro station, or take the tour through Bethesda to downtown. Just be careful crossing the street, as traffic is fast and not always looking out for pedestrians.

To sum up; It's a nice hotel, but I'd personally choose to stay nearer to Downtown Bethesda (such as the Hyatt right above the Metro station).

• Stayed October 2000, traveled on business
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2005

As a lifelong Bethesda native who recently moved away, I stayed here for the first time in January 2005. The hotel is in a residential area and convenient to the Beltway and I-270 but little else. Metro is a 15 minute plus walk and there are no retail shops or restaurants around (the hotel looks a little out of place in such a residential area). The property does look dated and the rooms are small, but they are clean and the beds are comfortable, and the staff is very nice (I had to switch rooms because the heater was making an obnoxious noise).

• Stayed January 2005
Mission Viejo, CA USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2005

I stayed at the Bethesda Marriott for one week in March. I was staying with a group of about 60 students on a DC trip. Upon arrival I first noticed how ugly and outdated the building was. It was tall and tan and had those bird spikes on all the roofs. The picture is very misleading. Also the hotel is about a 25-30 minute drive to DC. If visitiing DC, there are better hotels in downtown DC for the same or less money. The Lobby was cramped and small. Almost impossible to have more than 25 people in there. The lobby also was old, with ugly dark wood trim and old wallpaper. All the light fixtures were acrylic and were missing some pieces. My room was on the third floor and faced the entrance and parking lot. There is no balcony or window that opens. First thing my budies and I noticed was the room temperature. The thermostat said it was 80 degrees. We set the temp down to 65 and went to the ballroom for dinner. I will just cover food now: The food at dinner and breakfast each day was very gross and covered in fat. Eggs were like watery soup, pasta was hard, and waffles moist. The ballrooms were large but unelegant. Cheep chairs with plastic piping and pop up tables with a pink cloth. The hotel restraunts always looked empty and boring. The hotel is not very self contained, everything has to be done out of the hotel.
Back in the room- Problems: At night we discovered the thermostat was broken and onlys heats. The room never would cool below 80. We called to have it fixed the next day, but then its buttons were broken. They never got it fixed correctly all week. Also the bathroom door did not lock, leaving you no privacy in a room of 3 other people. Window was cracked and the handles were broken so it didn't open. Also there is no minibar and the bathroom is not marble, but tile and corian(very low rent couner stuff). The channels for TV were all news and were boring and the beds looked nice, but were uncomfortable. Later I found out these beds were new and arelike Marriott's version of Westin's "Heavenly Bed." These beds were lumpy and uncomfortable. Sure did not feel like "heaven." Finally the alarm clock was confusing and rang all the time so we unplugged it.
On our schools formal nite on the town, the staff laughed at us and were giggling. They refused to help any of our needs and just sat there. The staff is one of the hotel's low points. No valet either. This hotel is bairly a 3 star and definitly not a 4. There are mant more new and luxurious hotels around, than this rat trap Marriott. Will never stay at Marriotts again.

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!