“not up to marriott standards” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Bethesda
Media, Pennsylvania
“not up to marriott standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

not a great marriott stay. first, the room keys didnt work, back to the undermanned front desk for help. then once in the room, not enough towels. nothing is complimentary, such as parking, in room internet, and the business center. the best was that im an early riser, and not wanting to wake my wife ill get a tea in the lobby. found out i had to buy it in the restaurant that doesnt open til 7. there werent even tea bags in the room. have stayed in many marriotts and this left much to be desired. when back in dc, which is often as our son lives there, ill make sure to stay at another marriott.

Room Tip: go elsewhere

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bridgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Spent a fall weekend there, it's almost convienent to American University. It's right off the beltway and so very convienent. Not quite as nice as the Bethesda North Marriott a couple of miles north on the same road but this time more reasonably priced with included parking on the weekend. I stayed there about 10 years ago and it was a little better then. The rooms have been updated as have been the lobby and the elevators but somehow it just looks a little tired. Front desk staff was only OK but it was late on a Friday night with lots' going on. When the school group came in Saturday night it was a little disorganized.
I could see that since I was using the free wifi in the lobby. I don't quite understand why Marriott refuses to give free wifi in the rooms as a standard. The lower hotels in their family do.
Housekeeping brought up extra towels quickly which was nice, when we stayed in the North Marriott last month it took them longer.

Fairbanks, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have stayed at this location before. It's average and nothing fancy. Parking is $15 per day, which is outrageous being this far out from DC. Internet is free in lobby only, otherwise $12.95 per day. Staff is friendly and responsive. Room and hallways were terribly cold until I called for maintenance to correct the problem, which they did. I stay here because of the location. Close to where I need to go.

MILWAUKEE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for my 50th HS reunion. Our planning committee negotiated a great rate, so I can't bark too loud about the flaws, particularly being Inaccessible to metro, uncovered parking some distance away during a three-day rain, slow elevators because all staff trips are with the guests. Yes, there was a $12-day charge for Internet - - not unusual in big-city hotels (unlike highway motels) - - but it was free in the lobby, which also meant in the restaurant, and sometimes I could access it for free in my 15th floor room. The staff was friendly, the breakfast buffet fairly-priced and well-stocked, and the rooms were clean but without fridge or microwave. The hot water was shut off in part of the hotel for hours the day I left. The hotel offered to get you a room w/hot water: I was surprised that work ws not done overnight. So, as I said, something of a draw. Not Nirvana, not hell either. I would not choose this place again, but from past experience know that hotels closer to DC/downtown/tourist areas would be much more expensive than my reunion rate.

Room Tip: Do not stay close to the ground, where there are large groups coming and going. In our case, soccer...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This Hotel has so many problems I cant list them all. First room was cold 62 complained sent a couple of guys to fix the problem which they did then when we came back a few hours later the room smelled of mold so bad there was no way we could sleep in it. They changed our room, offered no help and this was at midnight. Loud party near the lobby, kids skate boarding in front of the entrance with Bell Hops watching. Soda machine filled with soda that didn't match the machines buttons. Kids running wild on the 4th. floor. Hotel security was a joke. Room not ready at check in, in fact there were other people trying to check in same problem, pushed people into the bar with no comps. No hot water one night at 1:30AM THE NEXT DAY they were shutting off water at 10:00am till 2:00pm. Never again at this property

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Southworth, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because my 50th high school reunion was being held there, and we thought we would stay on afterwards for a few days to see the sights. This was kind of a mistake anyway since the federal government was shut down, and most of the things we wanted to see we're closed.
Staying at this ugly Marriott certainly did not tmake the situation better. Our room was small and cramped. The air conditioning came out in an icy cold wind wafting over us, but if we turned it off the room became unbearably stuffy.
The location was extremely inconvenient for visiting Washington, D.C., or Bethesda. We did not have a car, and this place is not within walking distance of the Metro. They did offer a free shuttle to and from the Metro stop at the NIH, but it rarely seemed to show up on time when we were going back to the hotel. So we ended up taking cabs, which can get rather expensive.
Internet in the room costs a ridiculous $12 a day. All in all, I think we would have had a much better experience staying closer in even it cost more.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Had read that this was sort of an older hotel and the pictures didn't lend itself to the kind of places I like to stay but it was the best hotel in the area where I attended a wedding.

It turned out to be really nice hotel, great location, the staff bent over backwards to be polite, pleasant and helpful. Received an upgrade just for asking. The hotel did not seem to be very busy. Had a full bar which you don't often find in a hotel, not a destination night club or anything but nonetheless adequate for getting a few drinks in the evening. I didn't try the food or restaurant. The rooms were nothing special, yes they were a little dated but not so much that it made me feel like I didn't want to be there. All in all it was a pleasant stay and I would stay there again if in the same area.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!