“Location was good......for me” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Location was good......for me”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have stayed at this location before. It's average and nothing fancy. Parking is $15 per day, which is outrageous being this far out from DC. Internet is free in lobby only, otherwise $12.95 per day. Staff is friendly and responsive. Room and hallways were terribly cold until I called for maintenance to correct the problem, which they did. I stay here because of the location. Close to where I need to go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for my 50th HS reunion. Our planning committee negotiated a great rate, so I can't bark too loud about the flaws, particularly being Inaccessible to metro, uncovered parking some distance away during a three-day rain, slow elevators because all staff trips are with the guests. Yes, there was a $12-day charge for Internet - - not unusual in big-city hotels (unlike highway motels) - - but it was free in the lobby, which also meant in the restaurant, and sometimes I could access it for free in my 15th floor room. The staff was friendly, the breakfast buffet fairly-priced and well-stocked, and the rooms were clean but without fridge or microwave. The hot water was shut off in part of the hotel for hours the day I left. The hotel offered to get you a room w/hot water: I was surprised that work ws not done overnight. So, as I said, something of a draw. Not Nirvana, not hell either. I would not choose this place again, but from past experience know that hotels closer to DC/downtown/tourist areas would be much more expensive than my reunion rate.

Room Tip: Do not stay close to the ground, where there are large groups coming and going. In our case, soccer...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This Hotel has so many problems I cant list them all. First room was cold 62 complained sent a couple of guys to fix the problem which they did then when we came back a few hours later the room smelled of mold so bad there was no way we could sleep in it. They changed our room, offered no help and this was at midnight. Loud party near the lobby, kids skate boarding in front of the entrance with Bell Hops watching. Soda machine filled with soda that didn't match the machines buttons. Kids running wild on the 4th. floor. Hotel security was a joke. Room not ready at check in, in fact there were other people trying to check in same problem, pushed people into the bar with no comps. No hot water one night at 1:30AM THE NEXT DAY they were shutting off water at 10:00am till 2:00pm. Never again at this property

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Southworth, Wa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because my 50th high school reunion was being held there, and we thought we would stay on afterwards for a few days to see the sights. This was kind of a mistake anyway since the federal government was shut down, and most of the things we wanted to see we're closed.
Staying at this ugly Marriott certainly did not tmake the situation better. Our room was small and cramped. The air conditioning came out in an icy cold wind wafting over us, but if we turned it off the room became unbearably stuffy.
The location was extremely inconvenient for visiting Washington, D.C., or Bethesda. We did not have a car, and this place is not within walking distance of the Metro. They did offer a free shuttle to and from the Metro stop at the NIH, but it rarely seemed to show up on time when we were going back to the hotel. So we ended up taking cabs, which can get rather expensive.
Internet in the room costs a ridiculous $12 a day. All in all, I think we would have had a much better experience staying closer in even it cost more.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Had read that this was sort of an older hotel and the pictures didn't lend itself to the kind of places I like to stay but it was the best hotel in the area where I attended a wedding.

It turned out to be really nice hotel, great location, the staff bent over backwards to be polite, pleasant and helpful. Received an upgrade just for asking. The hotel did not seem to be very busy. Had a full bar which you don't often find in a hotel, not a destination night club or anything but nonetheless adequate for getting a few drinks in the evening. I didn't try the food or restaurant. The rooms were nothing special, yes they were a little dated but not so much that it made me feel like I didn't want to be there. All in all it was a pleasant stay and I would stay there again if in the same area.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
irving
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

very clean comfortable full service hotel, welcoming staff. I wish I brought my swimsuit to take advantage of hot tub.Being from the North eastern I enjoy lot of warm and hot tubs/pools. The bed is very comfortable. I was not a fan of the pillows but overall I really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I attended a friend's wedding & reception at the hotel in Sept., and stayed overnight afterwards. (I live 16 miles away in northern Virginia, and even though my marrying friends live quite close to this hotel, I never knew it was there!) The hotel is located amidst a residential area, so it was a quite neighborhood -- though DC's Beltway/495 is nearby---but I didn't have any traffic noise issues. (My room overlooked the pool, I believe on the opposite side of the building from where the highway is located.)
The wedding / ballroom portion of the stay was very nice. Very friendly staff handling us guests, and my friends expressed their happiness re: working with the hotel staff in planning this event. The food was tasty (though my filet was, I believe, over-tenderized on one half - very "mushy" texture as a result, like mashed potatoes, not beef.) Beyond that minor quibble, the meal service/bar service was very good. The ballroom was attractive enough, and they (or a wedding service provider) had arranged terrific uplighting all around the perimeter of the ballroom.
The guest room I had (king) was nice; clean, and the bed was quite comfortable, though I'm always surprised by the pillow arrangement (this isn't the first time I've encountered this): 3 massive square pillows against the headrest, and 3 smaller, "regular" pillows resting against those. The large squares were, I believe, 'decorative elements' -- as pillows they were surprisingly hard/firm/unyielding. The 3 regular pillows were quite squishy/soft/down-like -- yet you needed two together to give your head some lift off the mattress. They were not "king size" (ie, elongated) pillows, so during the night it was easy to roll away from them entirely. Anyway... I made do ;)
The bathroom was fairly compact (I believe a result of the hotel's somewhat older age/floorplans?) but clean and attractive.
I was surprised the bedside lamps didn't have power outlets in their bases -- so there wasn't an outlet close by enough, to say, plug my phone in overnight and have it be on the bedside table -- instead, I charged it across the room at the desk -- not a big problem, but I had to get out of bed to go to the desk when it rang in the morning.
The elevator service (for the higher tower portion I was in -- not the 4-floor extension wings) was surprising slow. I guess if the hotel is quite full (and I think there were 4 events that night!) then only 3 elevators to serve that tower could create some traffic jams.
Parking was included in my room rate -- but I don't think it is typically included. To park in a hotel surface lot, you need to first go in and check-in, get a room key -- that key opens the parking gates. There is some residential sidestreet parking, but I didn't explore it to check hours/availability.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms in the high-rise tower are likely to be quieter -- since the interstate is on the oth...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!