“Wish We Had Stayed Elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Southworth, Wa
“Wish We Had Stayed Elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel because my 50th high school reunion was being held there, and we thought we would stay on afterwards for a few days to see the sights. This was kind of a mistake anyway since the federal government was shut down, and most of the things we wanted to see we're closed.
Staying at this ugly Marriott certainly did not tmake the situation better. Our room was small and cramped. The air conditioning came out in an icy cold wind wafting over us, but if we turned it off the room became unbearably stuffy.
The location was extremely inconvenient for visiting Washington, D.C., or Bethesda. We did not have a car, and this place is not within walking distance of the Metro. They did offer a free shuttle to and from the Metro stop at the NIH, but it rarely seemed to show up on time when we were going back to the hotel. So we ended up taking cabs, which can get rather expensive.
Internet in the room costs a ridiculous $12 a day. All in all, I think we would have had a much better experience staying closer in even it cost more.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Shanghai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Had read that this was sort of an older hotel and the pictures didn't lend itself to the kind of places I like to stay but it was the best hotel in the area where I attended a wedding.

It turned out to be really nice hotel, great location, the staff bent over backwards to be polite, pleasant and helpful. Received an upgrade just for asking. The hotel did not seem to be very busy. Had a full bar which you don't often find in a hotel, not a destination night club or anything but nonetheless adequate for getting a few drinks in the evening. I didn't try the food or restaurant. The rooms were nothing special, yes they were a little dated but not so much that it made me feel like I didn't want to be there. All in all it was a pleasant stay and I would stay there again if in the same area.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
irving
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

very clean comfortable full service hotel, welcoming staff. I wish I brought my swimsuit to take advantage of hot tub.Being from the North eastern I enjoy lot of warm and hot tubs/pools. The bed is very comfortable. I was not a fan of the pillows but overall I really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I attended a friend's wedding & reception at the hotel in Sept., and stayed overnight afterwards. (I live 16 miles away in northern Virginia, and even though my marrying friends live quite close to this hotel, I never knew it was there!) The hotel is located amidst a residential area, so it was a quite neighborhood -- though DC's Beltway/495 is nearby---but I didn't have any traffic noise issues. (My room overlooked the pool, I believe on the opposite side of the building from where the highway is located.)
The wedding / ballroom portion of the stay was very nice. Very friendly staff handling us guests, and my friends expressed their happiness re: working with the hotel staff in planning this event. The food was tasty (though my filet was, I believe, over-tenderized on one half - very "mushy" texture as a result, like mashed potatoes, not beef.) Beyond that minor quibble, the meal service/bar service was very good. The ballroom was attractive enough, and they (or a wedding service provider) had arranged terrific uplighting all around the perimeter of the ballroom.
The guest room I had (king) was nice; clean, and the bed was quite comfortable, though I'm always surprised by the pillow arrangement (this isn't the first time I've encountered this): 3 massive square pillows against the headrest, and 3 smaller, "regular" pillows resting against those. The large squares were, I believe, 'decorative elements' -- as pillows they were surprisingly hard/firm/unyielding. The 3 regular pillows were quite squishy/soft/down-like -- yet you needed two together to give your head some lift off the mattress. They were not "king size" (ie, elongated) pillows, so during the night it was easy to roll away from them entirely. Anyway... I made do ;)
The bathroom was fairly compact (I believe a result of the hotel's somewhat older age/floorplans?) but clean and attractive.
I was surprised the bedside lamps didn't have power outlets in their bases -- so there wasn't an outlet close by enough, to say, plug my phone in overnight and have it be on the bedside table -- instead, I charged it across the room at the desk -- not a big problem, but I had to get out of bed to go to the desk when it rang in the morning.
The elevator service (for the higher tower portion I was in -- not the 4-floor extension wings) was surprising slow. I guess if the hotel is quite full (and I think there were 4 events that night!) then only 3 elevators to serve that tower could create some traffic jams.
Parking was included in my room rate -- but I don't think it is typically included. To park in a hotel surface lot, you need to first go in and check-in, get a room key -- that key opens the parking gates. There is some residential sidestreet parking, but I didn't explore it to check hours/availability.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms in the high-rise tower are likely to be quieter -- since the interstate is on the oth...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The service is great, the only inconvenient is the parking lot, their machine fails a lot, you can see lines of cars waiting to exit. But after that everything is fantastic, staff very friendly and the Starbucks inside the hotel is good.

• Stayed September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I travel regularly to NIH and I usually stay at properties near a Metro stop such as the Hyatt Bethesda etc. I wasn't excited when I was booked into the Bethesda Marriott by my workplace staff, given the location. However, I was pleasantly surprised and will seek it out on future trips.

The staff was absolutely superb, no exceptions. The front desk and bell staff will do whatever they can to make your stay pleasant. The shuttle buses are in particular a huge plus. They run regular routes to the NIH metro and the Bethesda business district, and will pick you up if you call. Didn't have to take an airport shuttle or use a taxi the whole trip, which is a huge bonus.

The property is nice and quiet, despite being near the beltway. The indoor pool/jacuzzi area is nice, although the hours are slightly limited and it doesn't really have lap lanes. Too cold for the outdoor pool. Fitness facilities are standard hotel issue.

The restaurant is good, divided into a bar half and a restaurant half, but the service and menu are essentially the same on either side. The employees are, as throughout the property, outstanding. The entrees are mostly made up of pricey, heavily sauced Italian dishes, but there are both lighter and less expensive options. Drinks are actually reasonably priced for a DC area hotel bar. I suppose it would be nice if the bar half had its own identity and maybe a slightly different menu, but this is a quibble. You can always take the shuttle into Bethesda for dinner.

I have the standard Marriott complaint about in-room WiFi prices. $16/day is just too much in this day and age. WiFi is free in the restaurant and lobby, though, and there is a little library-like area off the lobby where you can sit quietly and work if need be.

Overall a great find in an expensive and difficult area.

Room Tip: First floor was convenient and quiet, would recommend rooms in the low 100s.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I recently stayed at this Marriott for two nights for a business trip. I could not get in at the Hyatt nor the Hilton Garden Inn as they were both sold out. Now i know to plan ahead as this hotel is very old and needs a sever rehab or needs to be sold and re-flagged with a cheaper chain. The hotel was built in the 70's and still has the same features. Hallways are narrow and room doors are really cheap looking. The room was okay and the bathroom was very small.

The cleaning staff do not pay attention to the common hallways. Every time i walked to the elevator, there was dirt on the carpets. Very disappointing. I paid $209 per night and in my opinion, it is not worth it.

Hotel needs to work out an arrangements with local taxi's. I waited 30 minutes for a taxi.

I recommend not getting a egg white omelet as they use frozen eggwhites so it separates once cooked. It taste terrible.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a high floor room, as my room was on the 3rd floor and my window looked...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!