“Great service, comfy room” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast + Free WiFi
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Bethesda
Arlington, Virginia
“Great service, comfy room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I attended a friend's wedding & reception at the hotel in Sept., and stayed overnight afterwards. (I live 16 miles away in northern Virginia, and even though my marrying friends live quite close to this hotel, I never knew it was there!) The hotel is located amidst a residential area, so it was a quite neighborhood -- though DC's Beltway/495 is nearby---but I didn't have any traffic noise issues. (My room overlooked the pool, I believe on the opposite side of the building from where the highway is located.)
The wedding / ballroom portion of the stay was very nice. Very friendly staff handling us guests, and my friends expressed their happiness re: working with the hotel staff in planning this event. The food was tasty (though my filet was, I believe, over-tenderized on one half - very "mushy" texture as a result, like mashed potatoes, not beef.) Beyond that minor quibble, the meal service/bar service was very good. The ballroom was attractive enough, and they (or a wedding service provider) had arranged terrific uplighting all around the perimeter of the ballroom.
The guest room I had (king) was nice; clean, and the bed was quite comfortable, though I'm always surprised by the pillow arrangement (this isn't the first time I've encountered this): 3 massive square pillows against the headrest, and 3 smaller, "regular" pillows resting against those. The large squares were, I believe, 'decorative elements' -- as pillows they were surprisingly hard/firm/unyielding. The 3 regular pillows were quite squishy/soft/down-like -- yet you needed two together to give your head some lift off the mattress. They were not "king size" (ie, elongated) pillows, so during the night it was easy to roll away from them entirely. Anyway... I made do ;)
The bathroom was fairly compact (I believe a result of the hotel's somewhat older age/floorplans?) but clean and attractive.
I was surprised the bedside lamps didn't have power outlets in their bases -- so there wasn't an outlet close by enough, to say, plug my phone in overnight and have it be on the bedside table -- instead, I charged it across the room at the desk -- not a big problem, but I had to get out of bed to go to the desk when it rang in the morning.
The elevator service (for the higher tower portion I was in -- not the 4-floor extension wings) was surprising slow. I guess if the hotel is quite full (and I think there were 4 events that night!) then only 3 elevators to serve that tower could create some traffic jams.
Parking was included in my room rate -- but I don't think it is typically included. To park in a hotel surface lot, you need to first go in and check-in, get a room key -- that key opens the parking gates. There is some residential sidestreet parking, but I didn't explore it to check hours/availability.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms in the high-rise tower are likely to be quieter -- since the interstate is on the oth...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The service is great, the only inconvenient is the parking lot, their machine fails a lot, you can see lines of cars waiting to exit. But after that everything is fantastic, staff very friendly and the Starbucks inside the hotel is good.

• Stayed September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I travel regularly to NIH and I usually stay at properties near a Metro stop such as the Hyatt Bethesda etc. I wasn't excited when I was booked into the Bethesda Marriott by my workplace staff, given the location. However, I was pleasantly surprised and will seek it out on future trips.

The staff was absolutely superb, no exceptions. The front desk and bell staff will do whatever they can to make your stay pleasant. The shuttle buses are in particular a huge plus. They run regular routes to the NIH metro and the Bethesda business district, and will pick you up if you call. Didn't have to take an airport shuttle or use a taxi the whole trip, which is a huge bonus.

The property is nice and quiet, despite being near the beltway. The indoor pool/jacuzzi area is nice, although the hours are slightly limited and it doesn't really have lap lanes. Too cold for the outdoor pool. Fitness facilities are standard hotel issue.

The restaurant is good, divided into a bar half and a restaurant half, but the service and menu are essentially the same on either side. The employees are, as throughout the property, outstanding. The entrees are mostly made up of pricey, heavily sauced Italian dishes, but there are both lighter and less expensive options. Drinks are actually reasonably priced for a DC area hotel bar. I suppose it would be nice if the bar half had its own identity and maybe a slightly different menu, but this is a quibble. You can always take the shuttle into Bethesda for dinner.

I have the standard Marriott complaint about in-room WiFi prices. $16/day is just too much in this day and age. WiFi is free in the restaurant and lobby, though, and there is a little library-like area off the lobby where you can sit quietly and work if need be.

Overall a great find in an expensive and difficult area.

Room Tip: First floor was convenient and quiet, would recommend rooms in the low 100s.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I recently stayed at this Marriott for two nights for a business trip. I could not get in at the Hyatt nor the Hilton Garden Inn as they were both sold out. Now i know to plan ahead as this hotel is very old and needs a sever rehab or needs to be sold and re-flagged with a cheaper chain. The hotel was built in the 70's and still has the same features. Hallways are narrow and room doors are really cheap looking. The room was okay and the bathroom was very small.

The cleaning staff do not pay attention to the common hallways. Every time i walked to the elevator, there was dirt on the carpets. Very disappointing. I paid $209 per night and in my opinion, it is not worth it.

Hotel needs to work out an arrangements with local taxi's. I waited 30 minutes for a taxi.

I recommend not getting a egg white omelet as they use frozen eggwhites so it separates once cooked. It taste terrible.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for a high floor room, as my room was on the 3rd floor and my window looked...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Gurnee, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

immediately welcomed by the valet, front desk staff which made me feel great after a long trip from Chi Town. Front desk staff were very helpful and genuinely pleasant and efficient. Room was big and I had a great view. Pillows needed to be larger. Toilet malfunctioned that nite but help was there asap and fixed the problem. Food was really great and all of the restaurants and staff were great. Nice patio and pool. Stayed 3 days and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Two nights stay at Bethesda Marriott was fine. Paying extra for parking seems unnecessary, especially when on their own property and outside. Also charging for in room wi-fi is a disappointment . Purchased room on Priceline and extra charges are an annoyance. King size bed had very small feather pillows and only three for two people. Otherwise, bed was comfortable, TV worked fine, clean, good shower, small sink. Adequate and acceptable. Restaurant manager was very helpful with printing directions for bike route into Georgetown!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I are traveling with our college football team. This is the hotel the school booked the team with. There was a staff member who met our bus with a cheery hello as well as a few who met us in the lobby as we picked up our key. They had a staff member on each floor at the elevators to help us find our rooms and answer questions. I have never had such service. It was wonderful and will leave a very lasting positive memory of this trip. P.S. I also loved the large shower head. Very soothing after a hot plane and bus ride.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!