“Older” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 20% off
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
“Older”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is an older hotel that could use some updating. There is only one restaurant option for breakfast lunch or dinner. Food is ok. The location is fine except that you can't walk to any restaurant or shopping area. It is probably 2 miles to restaurants in downtown Bethesda or the other direction up Rockville Pike. I have also stayed at the Marriott Suites which is near this hotel and it is much better and closer to restaurants etc. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Hollywood, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Pulling up to the hotel I questioned whether we had made a good decision to stay here for an anniversary celebration. I arrived ahead of my husband, in that we were coming into town from work obligations. The interior of the hotel has been kept up to date and was pristine. The staff I encountered at the front desk was professional, courteous and attentive. We had a wonderful stay, although it was brief and we did not get to enjoy the restaurant, pool or other amenities in that we had plans out on the town and had to depart early for work the next morning. The rooms were on the smaller side, but were beautifully appointed. Bathroom was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable, We will definitely return next time we have a need to stay in Bethesda and would recommend it to others as well. My lasting impression was how attentive the staff was to their guests....greetings whenever coming and going in the hallways, lobby, etc. it made us slow down and enjoy the moment in an often rushed world.

Room Tip: Room was excellent, just a little on the small side, but we had plenty of room for the two of us.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott for a NIH meeting and being a fairly common business traveler in the past and liked Marriotts, I was surprised to find this hotel a little dated and past it's prime. Definitely acceptable, good breakfast reasonably priced. Off the beaten path so couldn't walk around town and the restaurants but instead, you would need a car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Frankfort, Illiois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been travelling to the Bethesda area for the past 5 years for follow up visits at NIH. I was dissatisfied with nearby "moderately priced" hotels in Bethesda (one in particular is scarier than the Bates Motel), and grew tired of taking the Metro to Rockville to stay at a Best Western property.

The social worker at NIH suggested the Marriott at Pooks Hill, and I am glad she did! This property is competitively priced, clean, modern, and offers shuttle service to NIH and nearby restaurants (south in Bethesda, north to the White Flint mall).

The staff is friendly and courteous, and very accommodating. The room was clean and the king-sized bed was quite comfortable. I will definitely choose this property when I return fo NIH.

My only regret? Not finding out about the Marriott Pooks Hill sooner!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Brentwood
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

First stay at the Pooks Hill property. Very nice staff, always smiling and helpful. We arrived late for a reserved room and they accommodated changes we needed to the room. The rates were reasonable, but I did not expect to be charged for internet service and parking. Really, at this day and age where all other hotels make this part of the stay, really? This was forcing too many of guests down in the lobby to take advantage of the free WIFI sitting in the lobby so the place looked like a Starbucks all the time. Noisy and the litter of teenagers made it a crowded place. Room was comfortable except for the bathroom which was just way too small for a normal sized person to occupy- even if travelling alone. The bed was uuber comfortable and a Jamison which I understand is common for the full service Marriott's where we like to stay-it was a welcomed relief from a long day and the quiet was very welcomed too. Furniture was a bit warn down and probably needs to be upgraded. Do have some concerns about the attitude of the shuttle bus driver that took us daily over to NIH. As this was our first visit, we needed some help with information about the area we were commuting to and he had headphones on and a smart phone operating and we felt like a bother to him when we asked simple questions that any Marriott guest would come to expect. This was unexpected with this property so close to the HQ of Marriott Corp. .

Room Tip: We booked the room on line and the room we got when we arrived was not the one we chose. Recommend...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I attended a conference hosted at the hotel. I had never stayed at this hotel and I never had been in this area (DC) before. I would judge it to be a good quality hotel for this purpose. The rooms were fine, maybe a little small but overall fine. I was thankful our room had a coffee maker. The bathroom was fine and clean. My only complaint about the room was the TV service was very limited in channel selection. I was hoping to watch some sports (NBA finals and NHL finals), but had to go down to the bar area instead. Also, I reject the notion that hotels must charge extra for wifi. Just include the fee in the room rate, don't ask guests to "subscribe" to wifi. I opted to use my Verizon broadband access which worked fine from this hotel.

The service was acceptable. Be careful about the free shuttle service to downtown Bethesda, going is fine, but trying to get a return ride will require you to wait up to an hour. My wife got stranded for nearly an hour in a t-storm, but staff eventually fetched her. We also found the attitude of the food service people in the DC area to be quite stand-off-ish, not really rude, but not very pleasant either. The hotel food service people were the same, so I attribute this to the area not the hotel.

The conference facilities were very good. The hotel charges a daily rate for parking, $12. Not sure why this is necessary because the hotel is away from the main area of town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights visiting the NIH campus. This hotel was perfect place to stay and they have a free shuttle that runs you to the closest metro station and NIH (which is one and the same). In terms of amenities and quality, it is consistent with Marriott.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!