“Heavily fragranced, worn furniture” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast + Free WiFi
Ranked #7 of 11 hotels in Bethesda
Alexandria, Virginia
“Heavily fragranced, worn furniture”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I chose this location because of its proximity to WRNMMC. My family's Platinum Elite status did get us a lovely room upgrade, but that is where the goodness ended. The hotel has a very heavy "air freshener" fragrance that is fed through the ventilation system. Sadly, I am sensitive to perfumes and this made my stay very uncomfortable. There were upholstered chairs in the room that looked so worn and dirty we chose not to use them. Eggs Benedict were served with raw whites, no one bothered to come back to the table, so I just returned to the podium after ten minutes for my check. The management needs to walk the floors and see/smell what the guests do.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The hotel is great, the rooms were nice and the bed was so comfortable. The staff was good despite the hotel was crowded and sold out. The restaurant is pricey but worth it...great food. I would definetly stay there again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Key Biscayne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had been receiving treatments a the NHI and this hotel is the only one that provides transportation at any time to and from the hospital. The rooms are clean, they serve Startbucks all day, the restaurant is expensive but they have a great bar. This hotel is for us the perfect hotel when we are in Bethesta. A great place to rest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Federal Way, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We use Marriott all the time and are staying at this location just the one night before my fiance's surgery. The hotel does not look busy at all, as a result we were checked in right away and the man was very nice.
Our room is on the 15th floor.. it is supposed to be a concierge level (we'll see right?),

The rooms are small and bathrooms teeny tiny. The beds are really comfortable, so if you are looking for a good nights sleep this is the bed for sure. Our room has a moldy smell to it. So I don't know if a tub overflowed or a window leaked or?? but it just had this low level mold stank that was pretty gross.

There is a little nickle and dime atmosphere here. Extra charges for parking and internet (unless you are Gold or above member) If you are a Gold or above member you get the "Standard package" for internet. Probably much less bandwidth than the business package.
I would however expect extra charges for parking if we were in the middle of DC or downtown or?? This is more of a residential area and I don't see the need for the extra charge.

There is room service available, but the prices seem a little high to me. If we were going to be here after 6am I'd give it a bash and order but alas we have to be at the hospital at 5am! ugh.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Racine, WI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at this property because we were attending a wedding that had the reception on the property. We encountered several problems. First, when we were checking in, the front desk personnel said that they couldn't find our reservation. I had to unpack some of our luggage to find the print-out that I had made (thank goodness!). Even after I produced the print-out the front desk personnel said that they could not honor the price, even though the print out clearly stated the price was confirmed. After a bit of haggling with the front desk personnel, we finally got checked in.

Our other complaint was the hours the indoor/pool were open. There is a law in Maryland that requires properties to have a life guard on duty whenever the pool is open. We looked at the hotel guide from our room and it said that the pool hours were 6 am. - 10 pm. When we got down to the pool area in the early afternoon, it was locked. We asked about the pool hours and were told about the lifeguard law. We were all ready for a relaxing afternoon in the pool/whirlpool and ended up back in our room.

The room was clean and housekeeping was very flexible to get the room serviced because of our wedding activity schedule.

Room Tip: Be sure to check with the hotel for the hours the pool is open so you can actually use it during you...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tyler, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here for a business trip and therefore spent little time in the hotel room itself. On that matter, it's standard fare and I will more than likely stay here again if I end up coming back to pay a visit at the Walter Reed Hospital. From that standpoint, the location was perfect and made it easy to get over to the hospital.

I ate dinner in the restaurant that night with other members of my party, and it was a delightful surprise. The food for a "chain" was very good although as hotels usually go, a little pricey. Still I would have been hard-pressed to get that good a steak steak outside the hotel for any less and in bad weather.

The room was decent. If I were staying in the area for pleasure I probably would have selected something more upscale however, for what I needed it was a great night sleep, in the ideal location for the price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Little Neck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Good location, clean hotel, friendly staff...typical Marriot experience...a couple of gripes, however. First of all, rooms and especially bathrooms are very small....bathroom ceiling is very low, almost claustrophobic....I am 6'4 and I barely fit in the shower...secondly, they charge you $14 per night to park your car...thirdly, they charge you $13 per day for internet/wi-fi if you aren't a marriot rewards elite or gold member...not cool, man.....restaurant in the lobby looks nice...didn't check it out though...the area around the hotel is residential, so there aren't any shops or places to grab a bite...hotel has room service, but is overpriced.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!