“Not a great visit” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Iowa
“Not a great visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I've stayed at this property for some time, for an annual meeting held nearby. This year was problematic - I arrived just as 4 giant motorcoaches full of high school students from NY were pulling up. The desk staff was clearly overwhelmed, and the person who checked me in was rude and short-tempered. It was impossible to get an elevator (or even move much), so I lugged my bag up the staircase. Plenty of hall and ceiling noise throughout my stay. The rooms are also getting tired, with chipped paint and kind of worn furnishings. No perks for Marriott Rewards members; at check-in, the staff member acted annoyed that he had to enter my number. Breakfast in the restaurant was tasty.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel itself is fine - old and not really updated; some of the rooms are pretty far from the conference center. There was no WiFi in the conference center (we were told there would be - but later told not). The food was average at the conference. There is nothing within walking distance outside the hotel but it is close to the highway.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed here on a business trip for a few nights in Oct 2012. Lovely hotel, convenient to where I had my meetings in Bethesda. The rooms were spacious with beds a 6ft person could get lost in. The swimming pool wasn't great which I was a little disappointed about - it was quite shallow and square shaped so I felt like a goldfish swimming in circles!
The best thing about this hotel for me, had to be the breakfast. I was fortunate enough to be served up by a Jamaican lady who not only made me one of the tastiest omelettes ever but cracked me up with laughter too :)

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

For the second time at this hotel (Priceline, so we can't choose) the pool and hot tub don't open up on Friday until evening. Then it is filled with splashing yelling kids while parents have a drink at the bar (so no supervision.) Once the pool was "closed for renovations" and another guest said it had been like that for months. So don't get this hotel if you are looking for a early stop with a relaxing hot tub.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night on business trip to Walter Reed. Hotel is approximately 1 1/2 miles away. Hotel is isolated, would need to cab it to downtown Bethesda. King bed room was tiny and bathroom cramped, typical Marriott furnishings and decor. Washcloths were dirty white, not bright white. Room had fan that could be set to continuous to help keep noise out.

Ate in restaurant, decent service, decent food. Overall expensive stay considering the accommodations, but this is an expensive neighborhood. Was told by PM desk staff that the shuttle driver could bring me to Walter Reed/NIH at 6am. When I arrived at 6am they said the shuttle starts the runs at 6:30am

Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

As a frequent Marriott guest (I stay with them 3-9 nights a month) I was left speechless by the inability of the staff to make a terrible situation right. After checking in at 9pm with the flu, I was put in a room that had no heat. After 30 mins I mentioned this to the staff to see what rooms were available but they instead sent a technician up to the room to fix the problem. He told me A/C was being route to the room (while the temperature outside was around 40f). He changed it for heat to come on but would take 45mins to an hour. After 1.5hrs I called once again and only then did they move me to a room that was half the size of the one I had. In addition, the gentlemen at the front said he would compensate this situation which went on for 3hrs, through points, room discount, etc. When I called the front desk back, he had gone for the day and I'm now left having wasted three hours and unable to do my work for my meetings tomorrow.

I'm very curious to see how this will be rectified in the AM and I will update here. However, I would implore you stay at another place. Please do not make the same mistake I did. I can confidently say this has been, by far, the worst hotel experience I've had in my life.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights recently. Make no mistake, this is a very old Marriott but it has been kept up fairly well. The lobby bar/restaurant is quite nice and updated. The beer is expensive but I guess you pay for the nice furniture? The common areas downstairs are nicely updated and the people at the front desk were very nice and accommodating. My room was on the very top floor (16th) and since the elevators were very slow the first night it took a while to get up there. In all fairness, they did perform better during the remainder of the stay. The fridge was in my room as requested and it was just like many of the other older Marriott's I have stayed in over the years. The only real complaint on the room was the dirty, old, dropped ceiling in the bathroom. I have seen these in the past and they most always sag and get dirty and this was no exception. The concierge room was nice and stocked well enough. Not the best I have experienced but sufficient. It was located conveniently near downtown Bethesda. Not sure what was going on during the week I was there but the prices which usually run just below $200 and night were well above that during my stay. I looked hard and could not find a better rate. If you need a ace for a couple of nights in DC this would be a good choice if you don't mind a refreshed, older property.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!