“Do not stay here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Bethesda
Toronto
“Do not stay here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

As a frequent Marriott guest (I stay with them 3-9 nights a month) I was left speechless by the inability of the staff to make a terrible situation right. After checking in at 9pm with the flu, I was put in a room that had no heat. After 30 mins I mentioned this to the staff to see what rooms were available but they instead sent a technician up to the room to fix the problem. He told me A/C was being route to the room (while the temperature outside was around 40f). He changed it for heat to come on but would take 45mins to an hour. After 1.5hrs I called once again and only then did they move me to a room that was half the size of the one I had. In addition, the gentlemen at the front said he would compensate this situation which went on for 3hrs, through points, room discount, etc. When I called the front desk back, he had gone for the day and I'm now left having wasted three hours and unable to do my work for my meetings tomorrow.

I'm very curious to see how this will be rectified in the AM and I will update here. However, I would implore you stay at another place. Please do not make the same mistake I did. I can confidently say this has been, by far, the worst hotel experience I've had in my life.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights recently. Make no mistake, this is a very old Marriott but it has been kept up fairly well. The lobby bar/restaurant is quite nice and updated. The beer is expensive but I guess you pay for the nice furniture? The common areas downstairs are nicely updated and the people at the front desk were very nice and accommodating. My room was on the very top floor (16th) and since the elevators were very slow the first night it took a while to get up there. In all fairness, they did perform better during the remainder of the stay. The fridge was in my room as requested and it was just like many of the other older Marriott's I have stayed in over the years. The only real complaint on the room was the dirty, old, dropped ceiling in the bathroom. I have seen these in the past and they most always sag and get dirty and this was no exception. The concierge room was nice and stocked well enough. Not the best I have experienced but sufficient. It was located conveniently near downtown Bethesda. Not sure what was going on during the week I was there but the prices which usually run just below $200 and night were well above that during my stay. I looked hard and could not find a better rate. If you need a ace for a couple of nights in DC this would be a good choice if you don't mind a refreshed, older property.

• Stayed October 2012
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We stayed, once again, at this well located Marriott. The room was clean and a good size. Check in was easy and, except for the extra parking fee, we were extremely happy with our stay. In addition, we were able to arrange for a late check out to allow us to attend a religious service and then return to change our clothes before departing the hotel. I miss the Starbucks that used to be off the lobby but you can get coffee at the bar now.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Nothing in particular to rave about yet nothing really bad, either. This is your standard "old reliable" full-service Marriott for business travelers. Front desk service was very welcoming and the lobby is very nice and spacious. Rooms were very standard, WiFi was a bit spotty at times. Shuttle service seemed a bit unreliable, so I opted to take a cab. Location is conveniently close to highway.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel gives you what you would expect from marriott but it didnt have that wow factor that I get from new hotels.

We had a dinner there and the service and the food was great! Thanks for that.

Plenty of parking which is always a plus and very easily accessible to 495.

Getting off coming from college park is tough and you will have to make a uturn.

• Stayed September 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

The so called free shuttle at this hotel is a joke. They claim it runs every 30 mins, it does not. On a good day it is 45-60 min. If you are a patient at NIH I would recommend you leave plenty of time for delayed shuttles before your flight. The rooms are old and dirty and do not bother paying extra for the elite floors with access to the private lounge. The rooms are the same as the rooms on lower level floors and as far as I can tell the lounge had no alcohol in it. The bar is over rated and is expensive for the poor quality of the food. There are better hotels in the area and really no viable reason to stay at this one.

• Stayed September 2012
Somerville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I received an e-mail about weekend specials at Marriott properties and found several options in the Washington, D.C. area. When the special turned out to be only good for two night stays, the phone rep worked with me to book me into the Bethesda Marriott.

I thought $84 sounded great when usually getting anything good around $100 in that area is a miracle. We were surprised when we pulled up to a modern and pristine property. People were friendly and helpful, but I was a little irritated by the $14 parking fee. That went away when I found out the the package I didn't know I had included breakfast for two (valued at $17 each and worth every penny of it) and free wi-fi because I was a gold member.

The room was plenty big and nicely appointed and the extra towels I requested were delivered promptly. The indoor pool was attractive and clean and staffed by an attendant and a life guard, while the excercise room was surprisingly big and well-equipped.

Now for that breakfast: I'm not a breakfast fan, but this buffett was excellent. There was whole fruit and cut melon and berries, breads of various types, cheese and some meats, sausage, bacon and a station where you could order eggs, waffles or pancakes. Oh, and I can't forget the very good oatmeal. $17 for breakfast sounds like a lot and it is, but for that money you do have a surprisingly good meal. As a plus, the waitress and the short order cook were absolutely fantastic--polite and very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!