“Shuttle Service is a joke” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Double Rewards Points!
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
“Shuttle Service is a joke”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

The so called free shuttle at this hotel is a joke. They claim it runs every 30 mins, it does not. On a good day it is 45-60 min. If you are a patient at NIH I would recommend you leave plenty of time for delayed shuttles before your flight. The rooms are old and dirty and do not bother paying extra for the elite floors with access to the private lounge. The rooms are the same as the rooms on lower level floors and as far as I can tell the lounge had no alcohol in it. The bar is over rated and is expensive for the poor quality of the food. There are better hotels in the area and really no viable reason to stay at this one.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Somerville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I received an e-mail about weekend specials at Marriott properties and found several options in the Washington, D.C. area. When the special turned out to be only good for two night stays, the phone rep worked with me to book me into the Bethesda Marriott.

I thought $84 sounded great when usually getting anything good around $100 in that area is a miracle. We were surprised when we pulled up to a modern and pristine property. People were friendly and helpful, but I was a little irritated by the $14 parking fee. That went away when I found out the the package I didn't know I had included breakfast for two (valued at $17 each and worth every penny of it) and free wi-fi because I was a gold member.

The room was plenty big and nicely appointed and the extra towels I requested were delivered promptly. The indoor pool was attractive and clean and staffed by an attendant and a life guard, while the excercise room was surprisingly big and well-equipped.

Now for that breakfast: I'm not a breakfast fan, but this buffett was excellent. There was whole fruit and cut melon and berries, breads of various types, cheese and some meats, sausage, bacon and a station where you could order eggs, waffles or pancakes. Oh, and I can't forget the very good oatmeal. $17 for breakfast sounds like a lot and it is, but for that money you do have a surprisingly good meal. As a plus, the waitress and the short order cook were absolutely fantastic--polite and very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed here on a work trip a couple months ago, and it was a nice place to stay during my stay. I was working at NIH, and the hotel is fairly close, though the traffic is terrible. I was working with a co-worker who was staying elsewhere and picked me up, but the hotel has a shuttle to the NIH campus which seems really convenient.
I took the shuttle in to town for dinner, and after eating and then taking the metro to see a couple monuments on my quick business trip (in the dark) I caught one of the late metro trips back to Bethesda. The Marriot really came through for me in that I got off one stop earlier than the hotel shuttle usually picks up from, about 5 minutes after they technically stop running the shuttle - and they still came and got me. Which was really awesome.
The room was comfortable, and drinks (was super warm there in mid-July) from the little convenience-store thing were very nice to have (especially on the company tab!). I can't exactly speak to value as I didn't pay for it or shop around in the area, but the folks there were helpful, and the hotel room was a peaceful place to crash at the end of the day.

Room Tip: Rooms where the headlights from incoming cars shine have black-out blinds, but if you're sensiti...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We just stayed at this Marriott last Friday while bringing our daughter to a governement internship semester. Very convenient location to downtown. We had a Volt and they were wonderful about plugging us in right up front. The room was very nice and the desk staff/security was very responsive. The only weak point was we did not want to drive out for dinner with our jetlagged daughter. The order was wrong (there were only four of us), service was odd, and atmosphere lacked. The food was decent. Breakfast the next morning, by contrast, was very nice. If we had skipped dinner this would be an excellent review.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Great hotel. Staff is amazing! Richardson the door man is friendly and has got you covered for places to see in the area. Room was the best. King size and down duvet. This hotel was worth the 90 bucks we paid

• Stayed August 2012
Loveland, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

OK hotel, Crappy restaraunt. Good for business meetings or if you have to deal with the government , This hotel is not really convenient to anything but a metro station. There is a cheesecake factory 2 blocks away

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

This hotel is located at the 270/495 split off Rockville pike. It across from NIH in a residence area. Especially great if you have a car (although parking is 14.00 a night). Despite the parking, it is a straight shot down Wisconsin Ave. to downtown/georgetown. Short drive to zoo and national cathedral as well. They also provide a metro shuttle which is great but only runs until 11:00pm. They staff was fantastic and I pricelined this hotel for $65.00 (name own price) a night but when I had to book another night they matched the advertised price at $109 and let us stay in the same room. Pool was nice and the rooms were immaculate. Beds were really comfortable. I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott Suites
Bethesda Court Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bethesda
4.0 of 5 stars 311 reviews
Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!