“Decent hotel with convenient transportation” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Erie, Pennsylvania
“Decent hotel with convenient transportation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Staff is very helpful and friendly. What's nice about this hotel is they have shuttle service to Medical Center Metro Station every 30 min and Bethesda downtown, so if you don't like to drive or if only visiting famility or meeting, this hotel would be a good choice. It's only 5 minutes drive to Bethesda downtown, and close to Rockville and some big shopping malls. Hotel room is just average and seems need some updating. Bathroom is very small.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Quiet, clean, well maintained, convenient upscale hotel. Front desk staff extremely friendly and helpful. Nice concierge lounge and bountiful breakfast buffet in lobby restaurant.

Room Tip: Request front side of building as rear of building faces interstate with bumper to bumper traffic da...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I've heard about how nice this hotel was for years but never had the opportunity/occasion to go or stay there. Last week, I spent 3 nights there on business and found it to be only average at best. I arrived at 6:30 am and despite there being staff at the door, no one came to the car to offer to help me or see if I was checking in. So, I go to self park, struggle in with my bags and computer, etc. (take your wheeled bags) walking past male staff who looked at me like "dang that crazy woman should have made two trips or needs wheels on her suitcase," sigh. I get to the front desk and their computer system was down and they couldn't make me a room key until Noon, so security had to let me in. Rather than having to wait on security to let me in my room after breakfast and registration, I lugged my meeting materials with me for the day. At lunch, I went to change my room -- I didn't like the location and the toilet didn't work.... or so I though... (it took 4 flushes to empty the waste from the bowl) and the front desk lady walked me to my 1st room to gather my belongings and make the switch. Of course her keys didn't work and we had wait on security to let us in. Sigh! I get to my new room -- better location and the toilet still took multiple flushes to empty waste! UGH!

At the end of the day, I went to the room and examined the toilet. They had some sort of water saving device installed, so I just left the top off the toilet and raised the water saving device each time I flushed and the toilet operated correctly... 1 flush, waste gone. I also hate it when your room is never fully replenished when they clean it. Like since I was checking out the next day, I might steal some towels so I'm not going to give you all the towels you had when you arrived. I just hate the implication. And yes, I did leave a tip for housekeeping. Other than that and no offer of help when departing the hotel, my stay was uneventful. I probably wouldn't recommend this hotel. But if you stay there, it will be just ok. Good for an in/out business trip.

The only above average point was that the room service folks were nice and helpful. They were also willing to change the plate (switch veggies and add chicken vs. pork) to fit my taste. I appreciated that, and the food and server were great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fredericksburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We've stayed here several times over the years for functions/events during the holiday season. It's a full-featured, Marriott hotel with a somewhat decent restaurant.

The rooms are nice. Location is great. Security seems to be nice as well.

The restaurant has a VERY over-priced breakfast, when you consider what you get for what is being paid. Forunately we always get a free breakfast, either due to status or due to the room rate we booked. This most recent time we didn't have a very good breakfast at all.

Room is nice... Bed is comfy... Tub wasn't too nice looking, as it had multiple styles and amounts of caulk and in my opinion, it's a no brainer for a "nice" hotel to pay attention to detail and make the small things like this look appealing to make guests feel that much better about the place.

The bathroom was also way too small... barely fitting the toilet and tub and sink in it.

Overall, we still like it and will most likely stay here again, as it's near where we need to be.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I meant to book a room at the downtown Bethesda Marriott instead of here, but it worked out just fine. The location is out of the way unless you are interested in the INH or the Naval Hospital, but they ran a shuttle to and from the Metro (Hospital) every 1/2 hour so that solved the location problem. The room was spacious and very nice. The hotel staff were very helpful. We got a room package that included breakfast which was a smart thing to do as there was no place to have breakfast except at the hotel and the buffet was around $30. This was included in our room rate and the buffet was very well done. The service was excellent. I would stay here again as the Metro into DC was quick and easy. Parking was $12/day with in and out privileges making driving access to areas around DC very good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We just had my dad's 92nd birthday celebration at this hotel. (We also had his 80th and 90th here). We chose to have a brunch in the private dining room. This room is closed off from the main dining room by a glass wall and doors and suited our purpose perfectly. We had about 20 people and there was plenty of room for everyone to eat, walk around and mingle. We got our food from the restaurant's brunch buffet, which was just outside the private room's doors, so was convenient. The food was good and the staff friendly, helpful and attentive. Two in our party were in wheelchairs and it was easy for them to get into the hotel and to the dining room.

We also stayed the night at the hotel and as usual were happy with the room and service. We used room service for a late dinner and the service and food were very good.

I wanted to comment on a couple of recent reviews of this hotel. I have stayed at this hotel many times over many years, always at weekends. I have never had to wait long for an elevator and have never been squeezed against the wall because the staff are using it with their carts. Any time I have been in the elevator and there is a staff member either already in it or waiting to get in the elevator, they always offer to get off or to wait for another elevator. Also, I have never experienced this hotel as a party hotel. I have stayed there when there have been big events in the ballroom, and when there are groups of young people staying at the hotel, but have never been disturbed or had a problem. This hotel is in a residential area, and you do need a car as there are no metro stops nearby (although they have a shuttle service which I've never used), but if you have a car you are right off the Beltway and close to Wisconsin Ave. and Old Georgetown Rd. which take you into Bethesda or Rockville in minutes. If you are looking for a gift shop you won't find one. I have watched the gift shop shrink over the years and now it is gone. But I always bring my own snacks anyway.

I consider this a good hotel, with what I expect from a Marriott - nice clean, attractive and comfortable rooms with good service. If you want to be able to walk to shops, restaurants,
nightlife, etc. this isn't the hotel you're looking for. This hotel is perfect for us because we are visiting family nearby and have a car.

Room Tip: I always request a room on a higher floor. That way I never get a room in the part of the hotel whic...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed here for almost a week on business. I travel often and usually stay in Marriott brand hotels. I also utilized conference space during my stay here. This was one of the more lackluster Marriott locations I have ever stayed at.

It is a large hotel yet only has 3 elevators. There are apparently no service elevators, so hotel staff/maintenance workers use them too. This translates to long waiting periods when you are trying to reach the lobby from the 12th floor. I'm not exaggerating when I say that half the time I was in the elevator, I was scrunched against the wall due to a cleaning or service cart. It got to be comical and expected that there would be the inevitable 3-4 stops with carts getting on and off. On the weekends when the hotel is full, expect very long elevator waits. This may not be a big deal for some, but when you are on a tight schedule, this added time (along with getting out of the parking area) needs to be factored in.

The gift shop only stocks a fridge with assorted beverages and then lots of potato chips, large and small bags all over the place. If you don't like potato chips for a snack, be sure bring your own with you.

I had the breakfast buffet and lunch at the hotel restaurant. Standard hotel food, nothing special, nothing terrible. The menu is pretty limited. The breakfast buffet is smaller than most other locations I've been to.

On the positive side, the majority of the staff I encountered were very friendly. My room itself was clean and the bed was comfortable.The location of the hotel itself is convenient if you have a car and need to hop on the beltway. Not a good location for those looking for a convenient metro stop within a short walk. If you are looking for ambiance surrounding the hotel, check out the other Bethesda Marriott.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!