“Wonderful staff, nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and save 20%!
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Wonderful staff, nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I meant to book a room at the downtown Bethesda Marriott instead of here, but it worked out just fine. The location is out of the way unless you are interested in the INH or the Naval Hospital, but they ran a shuttle to and from the Metro (Hospital) every 1/2 hour so that solved the location problem. The room was spacious and very nice. The hotel staff were very helpful. We got a room package that included breakfast which was a smart thing to do as there was no place to have breakfast except at the hotel and the buffet was around $30. This was included in our room rate and the buffet was very well done. The service was excellent. I would stay here again as the Metro into DC was quick and easy. Parking was $12/day with in and out privileges making driving access to areas around DC very good.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We just had my dad's 92nd birthday celebration at this hotel. (We also had his 80th and 90th here). We chose to have a brunch in the private dining room. This room is closed off from the main dining room by a glass wall and doors and suited our purpose perfectly. We had about 20 people and there was plenty of room for everyone to eat, walk around and mingle. We got our food from the restaurant's brunch buffet, which was just outside the private room's doors, so was convenient. The food was good and the staff friendly, helpful and attentive. Two in our party were in wheelchairs and it was easy for them to get into the hotel and to the dining room.

We also stayed the night at the hotel and as usual were happy with the room and service. We used room service for a late dinner and the service and food were very good.

I wanted to comment on a couple of recent reviews of this hotel. I have stayed at this hotel many times over many years, always at weekends. I have never had to wait long for an elevator and have never been squeezed against the wall because the staff are using it with their carts. Any time I have been in the elevator and there is a staff member either already in it or waiting to get in the elevator, they always offer to get off or to wait for another elevator. Also, I have never experienced this hotel as a party hotel. I have stayed there when there have been big events in the ballroom, and when there are groups of young people staying at the hotel, but have never been disturbed or had a problem. This hotel is in a residential area, and you do need a car as there are no metro stops nearby (although they have a shuttle service which I've never used), but if you have a car you are right off the Beltway and close to Wisconsin Ave. and Old Georgetown Rd. which take you into Bethesda or Rockville in minutes. If you are looking for a gift shop you won't find one. I have watched the gift shop shrink over the years and now it is gone. But I always bring my own snacks anyway.

I consider this a good hotel, with what I expect from a Marriott - nice clean, attractive and comfortable rooms with good service. If you want to be able to walk to shops, restaurants,
nightlife, etc. this isn't the hotel you're looking for. This hotel is perfect for us because we are visiting family nearby and have a car.

Room Tip: I always request a room on a higher floor. That way I never get a room in the part of the hotel whic...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed here for almost a week on business. I travel often and usually stay in Marriott brand hotels. I also utilized conference space during my stay here. This was one of the more lackluster Marriott locations I have ever stayed at.

It is a large hotel yet only has 3 elevators. There are apparently no service elevators, so hotel staff/maintenance workers use them too. This translates to long waiting periods when you are trying to reach the lobby from the 12th floor. I'm not exaggerating when I say that half the time I was in the elevator, I was scrunched against the wall due to a cleaning or service cart. It got to be comical and expected that there would be the inevitable 3-4 stops with carts getting on and off. On the weekends when the hotel is full, expect very long elevator waits. This may not be a big deal for some, but when you are on a tight schedule, this added time (along with getting out of the parking area) needs to be factored in.

The gift shop only stocks a fridge with assorted beverages and then lots of potato chips, large and small bags all over the place. If you don't like potato chips for a snack, be sure bring your own with you.

I had the breakfast buffet and lunch at the hotel restaurant. Standard hotel food, nothing special, nothing terrible. The menu is pretty limited. The breakfast buffet is smaller than most other locations I've been to.

On the positive side, the majority of the staff I encountered were very friendly. My room itself was clean and the bed was comfortable.The location of the hotel itself is convenient if you have a car and need to hop on the beltway. Not a good location for those looking for a convenient metro stop within a short walk. If you are looking for ambiance surrounding the hotel, check out the other Bethesda Marriott.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

This is a party hotel. By no means a business or professional person's hotel. In the middle of absolutely nowhere and they charge for parking....
Rooms are like a busy,low brow beachfront from the 70's. Lobby resto looks promising but the staff are gruff and lacking in social graces. Fool me twice.... There is a way better and newer Marriott just a couple miles further. Take it !

• Stayed October 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars

Travelers are raving about these Bethesda hotels

Birmingham, Alabama, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

This is a very good Marriott with great staff, but it is a bit isolated if you like to walk or take the Metro.

Room Tip: Take a room on the west side (back side). The front faces the Metro where it goes above ground and...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
La Crosse, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

The beds are soo comfy...lots of pillows and soft sheets. I always get a good night sleep at a Marriot.

Room Tip: If you have a room next to the elevators...you will hear the people talking outside your room in the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Parrish, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

On our first night we tried to rent a movie but it kept telling us it was "restricted" Call front desk and they said they would fix it and call us back. Called back and said they could not fix it. Oh well no big deal. On our second night we returned to our room at 10:30pm after a full day in DC. The room had been made up but there was no toilet paper. Stuff happens...called the desk and said they would send some right up. 45 minutes later called the desk again, Finally got some 15 minutes later. On our third night we returned to the hotel around 7:30pm. We were shocked to find the room had not been made up. Went to to the front desk to talk to the manager. Explained to her all the things gone wrong so far. She was very nice and comped us for the breakfast we had on our first morning and sent housekeeping up to clean room. when we got back in the room it was cold so we turned on the heater. 15 minutes later it was still blowing cold air. Had to get engineering to fix that, He also tried to fix the movie rental problem...finally got it fixed after about 5 tries. Marriott is normally a hotel that can be counted on to NOT have these sort of compounded problems. One more night to go...I wonder what that will hold.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott Suites
Bethesda Court Hotel
Bethesda Court Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bethesda
4.0 of 5 stars 329 reviews

Been to Bethesda Marriott? Share your experiences!