“Hilariously overpriced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Bethesda

You added Hyatt Regency Bethesda to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bethesda Metro Center, (7400 Wisconsin Ave), Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“Hilariously overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Pros: The exceptionally friendly front desk staff; location on top of the Bethesda Metro stop

Otherwise, it is dated and tired hotel with no frills and definitely no luxury! (as reported in the hotel description). I stayed here because I had a meeting right next to it and I couldn't be bothered to look for other accommodations at the last minute. But I won't be coming back. Not because it was the worst hotel in the world--it wasn't. But for the money (well over $200/night), you do not get any kind of return on the money. Luckily this was a business trip for me so I didn't have to pay for it myself, but I can't imagine anyone coming out of pocket for it. First of all how come none of the phones in my room worked? On the desk phone, I pressed the room service button, but instead got the front desk, who had to transfer me. After about 3,750 rings , room service picked up. I placed my order and was told it would take 40 mins. I was really hungry after having been traveling for a while, so I tried to distract myself and wait. At minute 42 they call back to say sorry, but they don't have one of the sides I ordered after all. Fine, whatever. I asked but is it on the way up now? He said yes. 18 minutes later, still nothing. I call them back from the nightstand phone, again by pressing the room service button. Instead, the phone lottery this time gave me, " Emergency services, what's your emergency?" Oh good lord. I tell him I was trying to call room service, and he gives me the extension, only slightly peeved. I was like um, I did press the room service button. So I dial the extension he gave me, and I get some other guy that wasn't room service. Sigh. This guy then transfers me. After several rings it just comes back to him. He tries again and this time I get some random voice mail. Whatever Hyatt Bethesda telecommunications!

By this time the food came (1 hour + for one plate of pasta). And it was pretty mediocre, but I ate it all because I was hungry. I was in fact so hungry that I ate so fast I almost choked. Luckily I had my own water bottle because I didn't want to pay $3.75 for municipal tap water (Aquafina). I mean really, for the rate I paid, you'd think I would get complimentary water, as is routinely the case at other hotels I've stayed at. As I say, no frills. There is also no safe, no fridge, no mini-bar and internet is $9.95/night. Finally, the hypoallergenic room I had basically comprises a big clunky floor-model air purifier. The room itself gave no vibes of an organic experience.

To wit, no.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I don't get it. This is a Hyatt property. That used to mean top of the line. I assume when this hotel was built 20+ years ago, it was. The problem is, the hotel looks like they haven't put 2 cents into the property since. When you walk in you see a grand soaring lobby. After you get past the lobby it all falls apart. The hallways have old peeling dirty wall paper. The room looks like an old Howard Johnson's or Holiday Inn. I could go on and on but I won't. After the manager told me the propert was currently "bank owned" I realized a reno was not forthcoming. I only wish Hyatt would inspect this property. If they did the Hyatt sign would be taken down in a hurry,

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

We really loved our brief stay at the Bethesda Hyatt. Warm, friendly service, great location right at Metro stop, nice restaurants nearby, good amenities. Not the fanciest hotel, but more than fine for our family. AAA rate included a healthy continental breakfast with surprisingly nice items like fresh fruit baskets, great muffins, and most importantly- Starbucks French Roast!!! Our family LOVES the Hyatt Regency Bethesda.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Morris Plains, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt for three nights during a conference at the hotel and I have to say, I was really happy with the whole experience. I usually stay in the District and this was the first time I have stayed outside the city and wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Check in was fast and friendly, just as you expect with any Hyatt hotel. The lobby was nice, great music, small bar and a Morton's Steakhouse. Self parking was no hassle, although you do have the option of valet as well.

The rooms were quite nice and updated, although the 1990's style TV was sort of funny, it looked totally out of place as the rooms were more modern than most Hyatt's, but the TV was clearly not. The bathroom was typical Hyatt and I mean that in a nice way. No wear or tear that I noticed, just a large, clean and comfortable room (with those Hyatt beds!).

Location could not have been better! If you're arriving late and looking for something to eat, around the corner is every type of food you could desire. It's actually a pretty vibrant scene in Bethesda, much more so than I would have expected. Lot's of young couples and single's walking around the downtown area, I though for a minute I was in DC.

The Metro is next door, which makes this hotel a winner in my book. It's a mere 15 minutes on the train to Dupont Circle and a few minutes more for points beyond. When I think of the times I paid top dollar for a room in the District during an event or a demonstration week (that you never seem to know about in advance), I wonder why I didn't think the Hyatt in Bethesda before!

I can't say enough about the location, the city of Bethesda or the people there, it was such a great weekend I really can't wait to back and try the restaurants I missed (there are LOTS of them, I can tell you that). Next time you're having trouble getting a room in DC, think "outside the DC box" and think a few stops on the Red Line, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

This hotel is located next to a Metro stop, and within a couple blocks of several nice restaurants in Bethesda, so the location is great. The service was excellent, and the meeting facilities were very good for small gatherings. The rooms were in need of an update, and not up to the Hyatt standard. The lobby also needs some attention. The price is high, which may be worth it to some for the location, but for the price, I expect a nicer room and internet should be included, and the fitness facility is not worth mentioning.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Ridgefield, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for an overnight. OK room, nothing special. Kind of dark. We did eat at the pub next door which was kind of loud. Nice workout area with a pool. There is a little fast breakfast spot downstairs for a nice continental breakfast, if need be.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

The location of the hotel is fabulous. It sits right atop the Bethesda Metro on the red line - which means you can go to the DC mall to the museums or to VA without traffic or parking hassles. It is only a very short walk to numerous restaurants, shopping and social entertainment (movie theater close, as is a kids activity center located only 2 blocks away.) The roof top pool was great, albeit a bit over-chlorinated. Rooms had a fridge and free internet.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!