“UNSATISFACTORY SERVICE” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Bethesda

You added Hyatt Regency Bethesda to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bethesda Metro Center, (7400 Wisconsin Ave), Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Romance Package
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“UNSATISFACTORY SERVICE”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda for 3 nights as part of a Bus tour to Washington, DC. There were 4 of us in a room but there were only 3 sets of towels in the bathroom. The first night, I requested for an extra set and informed room service that there were 4 of us in the room. They gave us an extra set after a few minutes. However, on the 2nd and third night, I had to call them again each night to ask for an extra set. Shouldn't they have noted that there were 4 of us and automatically put 4 towel sets on the subsequent days? The front desk staff at the concierge was also not very courteous and seemed irritated that I asked for the extra set before I left for dinner the 2nd night. This kind of service was not expected of a Hyatt Regency hotel. Disappointed at the service.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

I was a bit nervous about making a reservation here, since most of the reviews were overall positive, but the few that were not made me bit uneasy, but I had nothing but a positive experience staying there! I felt the hotel was very clean and quiet. John & Monica were the first two employees I met as I was coming in and couldn’t be more pleased! They were real treasures! It is true that some of the décor or furniture may be a bit older (but not dated or in disrepair), but I much preferred it to some of the new-wave crazy color schemes that appear to be popping up at many hotels in the past few years. The main room was spacious & I felt that the bathroom was roomy enough, it’s just that the toilet and the door seem to get in the way of each other. It would be nice to maybe put a shelf underneath the sink vanity area to place a bag or something. I did have a slight problem with my shower knob, but it was repaired immediately, with no other issues for the rest of my stay. Housekeeping was friendly, quiet & helpful. The desk sits directly under the air conditioner vent which makes it a bit chilly if you need to sit and work (maybe should be moved to other side of TV cabinet?). The desk also had a bar underneath the legs that was a bit awkward, and I never could really get the lamp adjusted so that I did not get a glare on my screen. Temps were a bit slow to respond, but I think was more dependent on whether the curtains were opened or not. Did not use the hotel supplied wi-fi, but I had no problems with my self supplied hot spot or cell phone coverage. I took the Metro to Walter Reed because I thought the shuttle only went to the NIH (but in fact, Walter Reed is directly across the street from the NIH), so I believe that you could successfully ride the shuttle for both. I did walk to Walter Reed one day, and it is about a mile on a sidewalk with multiple street crossings. I did not eat the breakfast at the hotel since there was a charge for it. There were multiple transportation options available directly in front of the hotel. There is a Doughnut shop directly under the hotel in the Metro area. There is a CVS dug store about 5+ blocks away. I had pizza delivered from M&N that was quite tasty. I felt quite safe in this neighborhood, but this is a big city & you should be aware of your surroundings at all times. You can take a hotel elevator into the Metro landing. I did not swim in the pool, but went up to see it, and the pool area seemed quite chilly. I was on the sixth floor and was not bothered by the traffic noise; although you could hear an occasional ambulance siren. Overall a very satisfying experience, and I a pleased with my stay there.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I recently stayed at the hyatt, it was an overall good stay. there was a good attentative valet service and a swell front desk staff. the room was a bit small and there were some issues with it that i discussed with the staff. they seemed reluctant to compensate me for the issue but then allowed me to have free continental breakfast, which in my opinion should've been complimentary. all in all, the staff is well trained and the property was in good shape and excellent for conventions and meetings. also its across from the metro, a plus.

Room Tip: Do not book the queen rooms, they are quite small
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

Hard review to write.

The facility is great. Very inviting. Rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. Rooms service was dependable and the breakfast was delicious.

The hard part of the review and an inner debate on how to rate is over their wi-fi and business center policies. Their rooms are expensive but not out of line. Why do they feel the need to charge $11.00 per 24 hours for internet access. Is that for device or for room? Most hotels including much less expensive properties include wi-fi in their base rates. In addition a need to print conference schedule so went to business center. Was shocked to discover could not access until I entered a payment method.

Would have liked to give a higher rating but do not appreciate the price gouging on internet access. Access which is so cheap to provide.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The facilities are a little old but the house keeping does an excellent job in keeping up the rooms. The location is not far from DC attractions . Overall a nice pleasant stay for 3 nights. We had to book 2 rooms and so we were looking for an economy hotel. This is perfect for the price and the stay . Rooms were a little big too.

La Jolla, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

This hotel has one thing going for it - One Bethesda Metro Station. It is also a very short walk from the center of town, which is full of restaurants and shops, and is also an easy bike ride from the hiking/biking path that leads into D.C. and down to the Mall. Rooms are run down, with peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, etc. Pretty shabby. It has an 80's-90's feel overall. Staff were nice, and tried to be helpful. There's a bike stand just outside the entry, so it's easy to get a bike and take off, paying by the hour, half-day or day. We had a weekend family event and this was the selected hotel because of its location. Having stayed here four or so times over the past decade and a half, it has seen better days.

Green Features: Unimpressed. This is not a substitute for refreshing a hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Greetings Lisa B,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on your most recent experience at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda! We really appreciate you pointing our great location and exceptional service you received during this trip. I am very sorry to hear about the challenges that you had with your guest room and the hotel's amenities. We will be forwarding these concerns to our executive management team to ensure these issues get resolved quickly. If you would like to talk about this situation further, please feel free to reach out to our Guest Relations department. We look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
Hillsborough, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

As a Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member, I stay at Hyatt’s regularly all over the world and most maintain the same Hyatt “high standard” in terms of style, service and comfort. The Bethesda Hyatt Regency misses the mark in every category.

The hotel itself looks like a throwback to the late 1970’s. Atrium lobby complete with glass elevators and plastic plants, brass and wood accents and skylights that are so stained and brown that the light can hardly get through.

Other than a flat screen TV, guest rooms are lacking in technological conveniences (like AV connectors or at the very least, outlets), and are shabbily decorated with furniture found in rooms from 20 years ago. The room had I, 904, had a power strip sticking out from behind the TV (only place to plug in my phone except for the bathroom) and wallpapering peeling off the wall (and this is a Hyatt Regency?)

Normally a benefit of being a Diamond member is access to the hotels Regency Club. While not all Hyatt’s have clubs (like the Bethesda Hyatt Regency), when they don’t, you’re offered a full breakfast or breakfast buffet at the hotel’s restaurant. This was the only Hyatt I’ve ever stayed at where the complimentary breakfast was served out of a closet in the lobby and consisted of nothing more than some stale bread/bagels, choice of 3 microwave breakfast sandwiches and come cereal. Really?

The only positive about my stay was that it was only for one night. Until this hotel goes through a complete renovation, I’d strongly suggest staying elsewhere, even if you’re part of the Hyatt Gold Passport program and especially if you have Platinum or Diamond status and are used to a higher standard that Hyatt normally delivers.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello HeyMan76,

Thank you for going out of your way to share your challenges at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda. I am truly sorry for the quality of service and amenities at this location. We have forwarded your concerns to our executive management team to ensure this get addressed immediately. We want to thank you for letting us know about these conditions and we are more than happy to assist you in this matter. Please feel free to reach out to our Guest Relations department if you would like to speak about this matter further. We hope this does not deter you from staying with Hyatt hotels in the future.

Sincerest apologies,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!