“A Perfect Alternative To The Marriott Wardman Park” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Bethesda

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Bethesda to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bethesda Metro Center, (7400 Wisconsin Ave), Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“A Perfect Alternative To The Marriott Wardman Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the Bethesda Hyatt for 6 nights to attend a medical convention being held at the Marriott Wardman Park. Both hotels are right next to Metro stops and it was an easy 11 minute, 5-stop ride on the red line to get to the Marriott where the convention was being held.

The Hyatt was 1/2 the price of the Marriott when I made my reservation, and included a free continental breakfast for AAA members.

I'm normally a nit-picker and difficult to please when it comes to hotels but I have to say this is a great hotel! Great service!. Spacious room and bathroom with a sensible layout. My room also had a crib (!) and a small refrigerator. I think they must use this room for people with toddlers when they stay here.

I was delighted they have white bed covers since any stains or evidence of critters would be easily seen. Kudos to the management!

Spotlessly clean.

The housekeeping people saw that I was using the caffeinated coffee filters in the morning with the in-room coffee maker, and started leaving extra coffee filters. Nice touch! Much appreciated by this caffeine nut.

They gave me free in-room internet (normally $10/day) when I checked in as a bonus for staying 6 nights and for being enrolled in the Hyatt frequent flier program. The internet was faster than what I have at home. You have to re-register for it every day which was no big deal but mildly annoying.

Nice exercise facility on the top floor. The pool was a little small for swimming laps.

Check-in and check-out was a snap. When I checked out they initially wanted to charge me for some 1-800 calls I made using a phone card, but I had checked with the hotel operator before I used my phone card and was told there was no charge for those, and they cheerfully and instantanously removed the phone charges.

The only downside with the room is that the air conditioning blows right on the bed at night, which I find objectionable so I turned it off and it got a little stuffy after a while.

The location is fantastic-right at the metro, and there are literally dozens and dozens of places to eat within a few block walk in the new Bethesda shopping district south and west of the hotel.

Check out Rice Paddies Grill 4706 Bethesda Ave for a dirt cheap Vietnamese dinner. I had the rice paper shrimp rolls with peanut sauce and a giant bowl of noodle soup with meat in it for around $12. Also check out Moby Dick (a mideastern food chain) at 7027 Wisconsin for a fast, and cheap mideastern dinner. The place rocks and is delightfully disorganized and high energy. Both of these places have no atmosphere and are largely take-out fast dinner places.

All in all, a great stay at a great hotel. No real complaints. I'd go there again in a second.

The metro trips including my initial and final trips to the airport totaled around $60 for the week. There's an unlimited metro pass for a week that costs about the same, and a 'smartcard' option that might have saved about $10 over the week but the person manning the booth wasn't there to sell me one when I arrived at Metro airport. You can get them on-line before your visit.

Room Tip: Ask for free internet if you're staying there for a few nights. Also, if you're on the Hyat...

526 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Have seen recent reviews panning the place, but I thought it was pretty good. Yes, it's been there a while, but didn't seem unacceptably old to me. I didn't notice any stains or bad smells in my room or hallway. The bathroom was clean, and bed comfortable. Room temperature was not a problem, either. The only (minor) hassle was elevator congestion when meetings let our--everyone is rushing to their room at the same time.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

This Hyatt has definitely seen better days. The bathrooms are in need of updating and the walls are paper thin. We could hear every word of our neighbor's telephone conversation. Breakfast is overpriced and sub-par. However, there are a ton of places to get good food within just a couple minutes walk. Staff were nice an the Metro convenience made up for some of the drawbacks. I would really only recommend this hotel if you can get a good deal.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Konstancja K, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear SAI22,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear that you were very pleased with the customer service you received and the location of our property.
I sincerely apologize for the noise issue and I would like to inform you that we diligently work to resolving this matter up to our guests' satisfaction.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us directly for future reservation needs.
Bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have stayed here on numerous occasions due to the location being perfect for our business and personal visits. Great location does not give license to neglecting this property as the owners have. The rooms are disgusting, old, smelly, bathrooms that have cracked floors and dark old lighting, worn towels, disgusting carpets.

On top of all of this, the price is simply outrageous for what you are getting. And on every visit we attempt to order a latte at the lobby bar in the mornings, but the machine is broken ALL THE TIME!
Seriously, Hyatt needs to take a good look at this operator, you are all missing the boat on an opportunity here. What happened to pride of ownership? I am selling my stock this week, this company should be ashamed.

PS the Service staff does try but they are sick of making excuses for management/ownership. They are saints for having to listen to everyone complain so much.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Konstancja K, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
I sincerely apologize for the fact that your stay did not meet your expectations and the challenges encountered. As our guests' satisfaction is top priority, we will look closesly into your comments.

Best Regards,
Konstancja
Vail, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Came here for a conference and when I first walked in I was less than impressed. Everything is worn out and outdated. Then when we walk into our room it was dingy and smelled disgusting. Went back to the front desk and asked for a better room. This room at least didn't smell, but the air conditioning was broken in this room. We realized this when we came back from dinner and the room was a sweltering jungle. When we finally got air conditioning we decided to sit back relax and rent a movie on the tv. Half way through the movie it shuts off and comes up with message saying they are resetting the system. We call down to the front desk and they say we have to repurchase the movie and fast forward to where left off. Too bad my grandma moves more expediently than this fast forward. Gave up and went to bed. The only great thing about this place is the staff. I don't plan on ever staying here again and wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, unless you like dingy, broken hotels.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Heather,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
I sincerely apologize for the fact that the condition of our property dod not meet your expeactations and I would like to infrom you that we are looking into possible renovation plans in a near future.
Your feedback in greatly apprecaited and it will help us improve our service.
Oakland, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda, expecting a "luxury" hotel (as described on Hyatt's website) -- or at least one deserving 3.5-4 stars. The location is extremely convenient, and the atrium is open and airy. Once I stepped into my room, however, everything went downhill. I was instantaneously overwhelmed by a cloyingly sweet, perfume-y air freshener scent which barely concealed a disgusting, unidentifiable odor permeating from the closet and made it next to impossible to breath. Once I made it through the cramped hallway, the room was TINY -- not at all what I saw in the hotel pictures. The bed was small, with only one nightstand, and there was no armchair. The spartan accommodations would have been fine, but the room felt dirty (stained grout lines in the bathroom, peeling wallpaper on the walls, etc.) and the decor itself was extremely dated. Again, not at all what one would expect based on the hotel pics. The coup de grace was the bed: a small, lumpy mattress with bed springs that creak at the slightest movement or otherwise poke you in the back. It turns out I did not need a comfortable bed because I woke up each morning to horrible street noise and/ or slamming service door. I'm shocked this hotel is considered a 4-star hotel. Honestly, I have stayed at Comfort Inn hotels that were far more "luxurious" and cleaner than this Hyatt. My advice would be to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn across the street. The rates are competitive, the rooms spacious and clean, the beds comfy, etc. It's only a block or so away from the metro, on a very quiet street. Save your money! Or, if you do plan to stay at the Hyatt, lower your expectations! This hotel ain't anywhere close to being a 4-star or even 3-star hotel.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
I sincerely apologize for the challenges encountered and wished your stay was more enjoyable.
We are hoping to see you again and prive to you that our guest's satisfaction in number one priority.

Best Regards,
Coatesville, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We took a mini family trip to the DC area. The Hyatt was located above the metro, making our day trips to DC so convenient. Bethesda has many great restaurants and shops all around the hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We have a very nice dinner one of the two restaurants on site (a bit pricey for us tho.) All in all we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!