“Ok for the price !!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Bethesda

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Bethesda to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bethesda Metro Center, (7400 Wisconsin Ave), Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #8 of 11 hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Ok for the price !!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My family and I visited washington on last weekend, we tried to stay in washington dc, as was a Easter Holiday every hotel was booked, then we decide to stay in Hyatt, the hotel is good, decent size bedrooms, good bathroom, my kids had good time on the pool. Very close to the metro station !!

• Stayed March 2013

514 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Lanexa, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I enjoy staying at any of the Hyatt brands whenever I can find a good rate. I've stayed here on ocassion through the years and my last visit was nothing short of disappointing. The rooms have seen better days. I had room 922 and was shocked at its poor condition. It's obvious that none of the larger furniture had been moved in a very long time as you could see the dust on the floor all around the perimter or the bed and the armoir (See my photos). I wrote my name in the dust below the television so if you should get that room let me know if it's still there. The room had a nice city view of Bethesda but the windows were absolutely filthy inside and out. The marble in the bathroom is chipping in several places and alot of the furniture was pretty beat up. The front desk clerks checking you in are merely going through the motions with the obligatory "thank you for being a platinum member" but there was no sincerity in their words.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Konstancja K, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your valuable feedback.
I sincerely apologize for the fact that the condition of the property did not meet your expectations.
I would love to discuss with you further and would appreciate a call back.

Best Regards,
Kionstancja
Massapequa, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on two prior occasions and was very satisfied. In fact, I have even recommended it to friends. Suffice it to say, that this will not happened again. I booked a two night stay for 3/23-3/24/2013 at a AAA rate for myself and two guests. Upon check in, I was notified that we were entitled to complimentary continental breakfasts. Upon entering the room, I noticed a very musty, stuff odor. The hotel was also much noisier than it had been on my prior stays.

After a full day of sightseeing on the 24th, we parked the car in the hotel garage at 9:15 PM. We returned to the room to find a blue lunch bag on the bed with what appeared to be some sort of tips taped to the front. Inside was one bottle of water, a glow stick and a letter from the hotel advising that due to "emergency" maintenance work on the city power grid, power would be cut to the hotel from midnight to 7:00 AM. The rooms would not have water, heat, telephone, internet or power. The temperature was going to be below freezing and there was a snowstorm going on.

I went to the desk to ask when the hotel was notified of the maintenance work. I was told that it was earlier that morning. When I asked why I wasn't called on my cell phone which was provided when I booked the room, the staff member couldn't offer an explanation. She did state that the hotel was making arrangements at other area hotels for guests that didn't wish to spend the night. I asked if there would be any sort of compensation for the inconvenience and was told that if I wanted to leave, I wouldn't be charged an early departure fee. That's all they could do. When I asked if I could at least have 2 more bottles of water and 2 more glow sticks since we had three guests in the room, I was told that they would give them to me if I decided to stay.

One of the guests was my daughter who is a student at American University. I asked her if she wanted to go back to the school. The staff member said that if we brought her back to the school and came back, she would ask the garage to waive the additional $12 parking fee. At this point, we thought we might as well stay and deal with the inconvenience. When we got into the elevator, another guest told us that she was given a 50% discount for the night and was told that the hotel was notified on Friday, March 22nd that this work was going to take place. Yet, nothing was said when we checked in on Saturday.

We then decided to leave, bring my daughter back to school, cutting our visit short, and find another hotel. We went back to the desk to check out. I was presented with a bill with a $30 charge for breakfast (and all I got was a cup of coffee). The desk clerk was very annoyed when I asked her to remove the charge. We also asked for her assistance with not paying for the 45 minutes that we were parked in the garage. She contradicted her earlier statement and said she had nothing to do with the garage, and only offered to help because we said we would return.

All in all, this was a very disappointing stay. I planned on staying at this hotel many times over the next two years. This is no longer the case.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the steak house located in the lobby.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay and would love to dicuss it further.

Best Regards,
Konstancja
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

On the plus side, Great location right above Bethesda Metro, central to Bethesda bats & restaurants and close to DC attractions. They do have a pool.

On the down side, the building is really showing its age. It needs some upgrades and more attention to detail in housekeeping & maintenance. Our shower wall looked like it was about to crumble, there was a good layer of dust everywhere, and fake shrubs in the common area were falling apart. The two restaurants in the hotel are overpriced for what they offer, and one of them (the one that provides room service) closes at 11.

There is no sound dampening between rooms, so if you are a light sleeper, beware. Our neighbors were pretty quiet, but we could hear them in the bathroom as if they were in our own room.

Parking at the hotel is about 3x as much as a neighboring garage, so shop around!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.
Although the property did not meet your expectations, I hope we were able to provide excellent customer service we pride ourselves in.
We are lokking forward to seeing you again.
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights because I was attending a meeting that was held at this hotel, which made it very convenient. The staff at the bar in the lobby was very friendly. The hotel has a metro stop just a few steps away from its doors -- which is very good. I am not too familiar with the area, but could find a number of decent restaurants and coffee places within walking distance. These are the reasons why I gave it 3 stars and not 2. I shared a deluxe king bedroom on the 3rd floor and found it quite mediocre, for 239$ per night + tax. The carpet in the room was stained and just didn't look clean. Generally this hotel could be characterized as functional, but certainly it is not pretty in any way and it could do with some freshening up. The lobby is noisy and the room I had, like most other rooms, overlooked the lobby area through a huge open space that works very well as a resonator for all sounds. I tried a few times to ask for a shower cap but never managed to get one. There is a funky telephone system and to pick up your messages you actually have to call an operator and talk to someone. Under the pretense of an eco-friendly policy the hotel attempts to encourage guests to not have their rooms made up daily (yes, you read correctly!) or to not have the towels changed daily. At check-out the staff was not able to split a bill between 2 credit cards and a supervisor had to be called, but she was on the phone so I waited for over 10 minutes.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms that do not overlook down on the lobby area. Try and get one of those, but avo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I wanted to stay in a good hotel near DC without having the prices of actually staying in DC. So, I booked this hotel, which has a Metro stop below it which would take me on a quick ride into the city. The room was fine. Since it was just myself staying in the room, space wasn't much of an issue. I did notice what looked to be (hopefully) a food stain on the bed sheet, which I didn't notice until the next morning. Other than that, no major complaints. I would consider staying here again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My family usually stays in Arlington Va, but wanted to try another location wilst in DC. We attempted to check in, but the hotel did not have our reservations. They DID allow us to use their office to contact expedia,com to see what happened. Long story short,...it was some type of misunderstanding with the reservation on the hotels behalf. (strike one) The hotel desk worker didnt offer any type of discount or breakfast comp, so my husband asked!! She agree'd . The next morning they charged our room for the breakfast and 25 dollars for parking (strike 2), which the front desk worker agree'd on 12 dollars the day before. When my husband went the to question the front desk worker, he was clearly agitated and rude. slamming the receipt and being very disagreeable, making it seemed as if we were trying to get over on them. At the same time the front desk worker was having serious conflict with another hotel guest and directed security to "GET RID OF HIM!" which we found VERY rude to treat another hotel guest like that. (strike 3)We were appauled!!!
On to the rooms: they were hot and stuffy. very small rooms for such a big hotel. 4 people in our room (2 which are kids) felt cramped.
The only thing that saved this hotel was the pool and hot tub on the top floor. The weight room was nicely done!!!

I don't see my family staying at the Hyatt every again. The Embassy Suites is a MUCH better hotel for the money and you get FREE FULL breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Not good value for the money.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
john_esainko, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologise for all the challenges you encountered and would love the opportunity to speak with you further on your expereince. Please feel free to contact me directly at fleur.jubb@hyatt.com
Take care
Fleur Jubb
Front Office Manager

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!