“Poor Poor customer service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Bethesda

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Bethesda to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bethesda Metro Center, (7400 Wisconsin Ave), Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Romance Package
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Poor Poor customer service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My family usually stays in Arlington Va, but wanted to try another location wilst in DC. We attempted to check in, but the hotel did not have our reservations. They DID allow us to use their office to contact expedia,com to see what happened. Long story short,...it was some type of misunderstanding with the reservation on the hotels behalf. (strike one) The hotel desk worker didnt offer any type of discount or breakfast comp, so my husband asked!! She agree'd . The next morning they charged our room for the breakfast and 25 dollars for parking (strike 2), which the front desk worker agree'd on 12 dollars the day before. When my husband went the to question the front desk worker, he was clearly agitated and rude. slamming the receipt and being very disagreeable, making it seemed as if we were trying to get over on them. At the same time the front desk worker was having serious conflict with another hotel guest and directed security to "GET RID OF HIM!" which we found VERY rude to treat another hotel guest like that. (strike 3)We were appauled!!!
On to the rooms: they were hot and stuffy. very small rooms for such a big hotel. 4 people in our room (2 which are kids) felt cramped.
The only thing that saved this hotel was the pool and hot tub on the top floor. The weight room was nicely done!!!

I don't see my family staying at the Hyatt every again. The Embassy Suites is a MUCH better hotel for the money and you get FREE FULL breakfast.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Not good value for the money.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
john_esainko, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologise for all the challenges you encountered and would love the opportunity to speak with you further on your expereince. Please feel free to contact me directly at fleur.jubb@hyatt.com
Take care
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Newport News, Virginia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I checked in via the website, and upon arrival was given a room which was not clean. Curly hair on my bed, along with a stained bedding on my friend's bed, hair in the bathroom, and the just feeling that we were in a room that hadn't been touched. Susanne at the front desk was wonderful when we explained what we walked into and switched our room. She followed up with us and let her manager know what had gone on. Please give her a raise. It was okay, definitely a lot better than the first room, but just not what we expected from a Hyatt. I have stayed at several Hyatts and have never had a problem with rooming or anything. The rooms were not like the pictures depicted on the website. The manager sent my friend and I a bottle of wine along with fruit etc. That was appreciated but unfortunately the damage was done, but wasn't as bad as our initial reaction of sleeping in my Honda and cancelling our reservation. I travel a lot and this is the first time I have ever written customer service about a rather lackluster experience. I work hard for the money that I make and I feel that the money spent was a waste, as if I just threw it in the toilet. Again, the manager and staff did follow up during our stay, but the more we thought about it the more we were unhappy and probably won't ever stay at that hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
john_esainko, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Good Afternoon
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review online of your recent stay. I sincerely apologise for the cleanliness issues you expereinced. Your recognition of our staff is certainly appreciated and we have shared that with our team. I would love the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your stay and you can contact me directly at fleur.jubb@hyatt.com
Wishing you happy travels
Long Beach, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel four or five times now. This recent visit was the first time I was back in about a year and a half.

The Good
The staff continues to be very friendly and helpful. There are two decent restaurants in the hotel, Morton’s Steakhouse and The Daily Grill. There are other good restaurants just a short walk from the hotel. The hotel is directly above the Bethesda Metro stop (Red Line), which is very convenient.

The Not So Good
The rooms are starting to look worn out. You know how white linens and towels get gray when they get old, well that is what was in the room. The carpet looked like it needed to be cleaned and it needed to be vacuumed. The grout in the bathroom floor and shower was in desperate need of a scrubbing. There was a red velvet chair in the room that had hair stuck all over it. It wasn’t a dump, but it was in need of upkeep.

The wireless internet access was sketchy at best. It didn’t work at all my first night there. After that it was hit and miss. I had to use my own WiFi card several times to get online.

Since I am a Gold Passport Platinum member, I was supposed to get a Wall Street Journal each morning, but I never got one. With Platinum status I am also eligible to get an upgrade to a preferred room. Rather than being given an upgrade, I was offered one for $15/night.

Parking is a bit strange here. The garage is directly under the hotel. Parking cost $12 per day…unless if you want to actually use your car. If you want in and out privileges with the car, then parking is $20 per day. I found it odd that they charge you 66% more to use your car. The staff at the check-in desk said if I was leaving in the morning and not coming back until the evening, I was better off just paying the daily rate of $12 each morning when I leave the lot.

Overall this stay was disappointing compared to my previous ones. It wasn’t horrible, but it was average at best.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed here for one night and found the experience quite satisfactory. The facility has a very good location if you have business or friends in Montgomery County/Bethesda. It not bad if you have to go into DC but there are better options if this is your case. The staff is welcoming, efficient, and competent. Good parking facility and Metro access.

The lobby is the classic older Hyatt version, a straight up, open, airy approach to common space. Having a Morton's Steakhouse off the lobby is a nice benefit as are the multiple restaurants within walking distance...but for those of you who know, this is Bethesda that is to be expected. Our third floor room was next to the elevator and quiet...an untypical surprise!

The bathrooms and amenities were fine....not great and not bad.....you will not remember them either way good or bad. Our rate of $169 was an attractive value.

Worth a try if you are in the area.

Room Tip: "Go high my friends"......... on the courtyard side
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a big hotel - I'm not a big hotel person. It happened that I had to stay in this big hotel for 4 nights. The room was stuffy. We've put our 'no-towel-change' sign on the door each night and they ignored it and cleaned our room and changed all towels. I don't like big hotels, they try to be servicible too much and it's hard to talk to them...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
john_esainko, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Good Morning
Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay, I apologise for the lack of service you expereinced and would love the opportunity to hear more from you, regarding your stay. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at fleur.jubb@hyatt.com
Until then, please take care and wishing you happy travels
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was impressed with this hotel for a variety of reasons. The room was large and comfortable. This was one of the few hotels I have been in that has excellent lighting. Reading in the room was a pleasure. Staff was responsive. There were 2 good restaurants in the hotel. I was here for business & it was a pleasure. I'd definitely come back

• Stayed March 2013
LITTLE ROCK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed at this property 2-3 times per year over the past 12-14 years. It is superbly located relative to the Metro and is close to many good restaurants (there is a Morton's Steakhouse in the hotel itself). I always request a quiet room (because some of rooms face the atrium) and usually they can accomodate me. The water pressure in the shower has always been excellent. It is not an exciting place, but works well for what it is.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the atrium
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!