“Close to NIH, Metro and Downtown Bethesda. Period.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Bethesda

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Regency Bethesda to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bethesda Metro Center, (7400 Wisconsin Ave), Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Romance Package
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Close to NIH, Metro and Downtown Bethesda. Period.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

Not a whole lot to love about this place. Very generic and a bit antiquated rooms, good workout facility / small pool, but most notable for location - close to NIH, above metro, near nice Bethesada restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011
nicholas_koonz, Executive Assistant Rooms Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Bethesda. We appreciate your feedback as it will help us to improve our product. We are happy to see that you enjoyed the benefits of our location and were able to explore the fabulous restaurants Bethesda has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Lock Haven, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I've been staying at the Bethesda Hyatt on my DC trips for years. I choose this hotel for its above-Metro location, compact feeling, and friendly atmosphere. I occasionally eat at The Daily Grill which is connected physically to the hotel although the Hyatt has no legal relationship with the Grill. In the past I've been satisfied with the Grill's food despite some slow service. On Oct. 22, 2011, a member of my party reported that after he had given the bartender at the Daily Grill a $20 bill for a $9 drink, the bartender later returned to demand payment for the drink, refusing to accept my friend's assertion that he had already paid and was waiting for his change. Thus, my friend had to pay $29 for a $9 drink. Our complaint to the management subsequently brought a $9 refund, which, of course, was not the issue. My advice: by all means stay at the Bethesda Hyatt, but if you don't want to have to pay $29 for a $9 drink due to inept bartending, visit Morton's wonderful restaurant and bar, which can also be accessed from the hotel's lobby.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

The hotel's location makes it quite easy to visit Washington without renting a car. I took the metro to and from DCA and anytime I wanted to go downtown. The room was a bit tired and dated but the bed was comfortable. The atrium, while spectacular, allows sound to travel up to the rooms making it difficult to sleep when others are enjoying the lobby areas. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda (October 12 – 15, 2011) for business reasons with colleagues. First off, I cannot say enough about the pleasant staff. Prior to my arrival I had to visit the hotel on several occasions for meetings and without knowing who I was, staff have always been pleasant and welcoming. On-site, once again Hyatt staff rose to the occasion. Whatever our group's needs, anytime help was requested from a staff member, we never got a “that’s not my job” attitude, ever.

I stayed in a king room on the third floor. My king room was very large and very comfortable. The king rooms are large, unless you get a corner room. One of my colleagues was in a king room on the 8th floor in a corner, and it was very tiny. Avoid a corner room if you can.

My room had an armchair, table, work desk & chair, dresser, large TV (not flat screen, if that’s important to you), I-pod docking station/clock, large bathroom. Internet was not free ($9.95 for basic Wi-Fi for 24 hours) but it was very efficient. One click and I was connected. I never had any dropped connections or any problems.

I found the elevators to be fast and efficient, with short wait times, despite the hotel being sold out during the time we were there.

A safe, would have been nice. Also a mini-fridge would be great, although there are soda and ice machines on the odd-numbered floors. There is a gym and indoor pool on the top floor. Parking was fine and reasonably plentiful when I checked in (around 4 pm on a Wednesday). I parked on P2 with easy access to the elevator. Parking pricing was pretty standard for the DC area.

Warnings – the walls are thin. My first night, there was a loud talker staying in the adjoining room and it was almost like she was in my room. Also, the plumbing leaves much to be desired. I heard every toilet flush and shower that the person above me took.

I didn’t get a chance/need to use room service or eat in any of the restaurants. Our meals were handled by banquet catering and our meals were great! For breakfast there was an omelet bar, oatmeal bar with lots of toppings, sausage, bacon and a wonderful French toast/pound cake confection. Lunches included salads, soup, meats, potatoes or rice and dessert (try the lemon sorbet). Surprisingly, for hotel food, everything was tasty. Wait staff were on the ball and attentive each time I had a meal or snack.

If you don’t want to eat at the Hyatt, there are several restaurants nearby. A personal fave is La Madeleine. It’s a French bistro with soups, salads, sandwiches, baked goods, etc. There’s also a Subway sandwich shop across the street. Plus, if you’re familiar with the Metro system (Friendship Heights) is a metro stop away and there are lots more eating choices there. On Saturday, the Bethesda Women’s Co-op Farmer’s market is about a block away. You can find baked goods, fruit, preserves, home-made dishes, vegetables, plants, jewelery, a flea market and much more there.

The Hyatt is convenient to all 3 DC airports, although BWI will be costly in terms of time and money, because it is a long ride from the airport to the hotel. I always advise our visitors to fly into DCA or IAD. With DCA you also have the option of taking the Metro, a cab or airport shuttle.

BTW, the Hyatt has one of the best business centers I've run into on my travels. There were several computer stations, 2 printers, a fax machine and a high-end (heavy duty) printer. Printing from the computer was $1 a sheet. Copies were 25 cents a sheet.

All in all, the Hyatt is a good option if you're traveling for business or leisure and don't need upscale amenities. Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific questions about the Hyatt or DC/Maryland travel in general. Happy travels!

Room Tip: Avoid a corner room. They're smaller.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011 via mobile

Stayed here for a wedding and found it to be reasonably located (on the red line so easy to get into DC). The rooms are mediocre and drab and generally dated (I felt as though I was staying in a late 1980's ideal of a chic hotel) but the beds are very comfy. The hotel has a great restaurant--The Daily Grill--and it had a lot of great menu options. The garage was awful: a terrifying and expensive concrete maze that had few open spaces. Overall, it was fine. Not luxurious but not the worst hotel I have stayed at in my life.

• Stayed October 2011
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We got this hotel through Priceline by making a bid. The staff was wonderful,rooms were quiet and comfortable. The staff was friendly and competent. The metro is just outside the front door. We really enjoyed our stay.
susan

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Longmont, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Had a last minute trip to DC and not hotels available in town. I had stayed at this hotel on business once and knew it was right on top of a Metro station. The staff was professional and very helpful - even provided us an umbrella when we were going out and it was raining. The location was perfect with everything you could want a short walk away - food, entertainment, shopping and the Metro. It took less time to take the metro downtown than it took us to drive! Price was ok, but not a great value with the room next time I would stay in one of the newer hotels that are all within a few blocks.

The room was the main issue, none of the many light switches did anything except the one in the bathroom that you had to close the door to reach - think about that. The room was large but in poor repair, it was worn, outdated and not well decorated. There were stains on the wall paper, rusted pipes exposed and the carpet was worn.

Even though I am a gold member no breakfast was included with the room during the week or on the weekend.

Save some $ - We had a car, the hotel charges $15 a day with in and out or $20 for "free" valet. The garage they use under the hotel charges $10 a day but no ability to go in and out, so if you are not driving during your stay very often then save money and just pay at the garage.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less traffic noise
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!