“No free WiFi” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Bethesda

You added Hyatt Regency Bethesda to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bethesda Metro Center, (7400 Wisconsin Ave), Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Romance Package
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mexico City, Mexico
“No free WiFi”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011 via mobile

Now having WiFi in the room (for free) is as essential as having running water!
They should not charge for it, specially when it is free in the lobby!

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Hagerstown, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

What happened to the little fridges and mini bars?? We stayed at this hotel thinking that we'd be using the metro to get to DC, instead, we opted to drive in. The Metro is located right outside the hotel, which is a plus if you decide to use it and takes about 15 minutes (7 or 8 stops) to DC. The drive to DC is nice as you pass through Embassy Row, the National Cathedral, tons of shopping in Chevy Chase. I believe it's about 2 or 3 miles to DC but takes you about +/-20 mins with all the lights/traffic.
We have a 9-month old, they provided a play pen (which was fine - we brought our own sheets to use OVER theirs). We requested a high-chair - oh my - not safe at all. One of those metal chairs with no table or safety harness - not those that the restaurants have. Our son practically flipped out of the chair if we didn't hold him still - end result is my husband held him and I fed him. There was no mini-fridge, so food/milk storage was out of question. We used the ice bucket and our cooler.
The room wasn't exceptionally clean - I found strands of someones grayish hair on the desk and plenty of dust to go around - ick. The little armchair sofa they have there - comfortable but it's an itchy fabric. I would have expected an updated room with a flat screen TV as most hotels now have, well, get ready for your 27" box tv. Women - if you need shower caps - bring your own. The soap dries out your skin, make sure you bring in your own lotion. On the plus side, the bed was extremely comfortable, had very good water pressure and hot water. The room is oriented towards the working person. View - none (our room was in the 300). We didn't have time to check out the pool/spa but it's located on the top floor. Parking is not free, you can valet for $20 or park yourself for $15.
We had breakfast at the Daily Grill (in the hotel lobby)- delicious french toast. Ask to borrow their high chair for your room not the hotel's. My husband had their omelet and he loved it - service was great! They also have a Morton's steakhouse and their own little restaurant. The price was $$$ but I guess it comes with the hotel's 4 star rating.
We are planning on going back to DC but we are not going to stay at this hotel, instead, we will be staying in DC. For the extra $20, we'll be right within walking distance to all the monuments. I would give this a 3 star rating since it's not renovated especially for their price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Well, I guess that could be a title for a review of any hotel, couldn't it? Anyway, let's start with the good points:

The reception staff were extremely helpful. There was no waiting to be seen, and I was very impressed with the efficient and friendly service. The lady who checked me in, Rachel, had a badge saying that she was a trainee. If that's what they're like then they're still in training, then the fully trained ones must be absolutely awesome.

The main interior of the hotel had the "wow" factor. The hotel has an atrium design, which is fantastic to look at.

The swimming pool was very pleasant. Not exactly the biggest pool in the world, but actually not a bad size for a city centre hotel. I was the only person using it when I was there, so it was quite big enough for me.

The bedroom was a good size, I had no problems with noise, and the bed was comfortable.

However ... (and now we're getting on to the bad points)

The bathroom felt a bit dated. It looked like it had been built to quite a high standard at one point, but that was probably a great many years ago.

I was also surprised that the room had no safe. Having said that, I'm European and not used to travelling in the US, so maybe US hotels don't generally have safes, but it would be rare for a hotel of this class not to have in-room safes in Europe.

The room had wireless internet access, which was reliable, but expensive ($15 per day). What I found really unpleasant about the wireless internet charges was that you paid per device, and not per logon name, so if you wanted to connect both a laptop and a smartphone to the internet, then you had to pay twice.

The high standards of service from the reception staff were not replicated at the bar. I did try to get a beer there one evening, but gave up as I got bored of waiting. They weren't even busy: it's just that the barman was chatting to a friend and obviously thought that was more exciting than serving beers to customers.

Oh, and just to finish on another good point, breakfast was awesome, although you have to make sure you go to the right place for breakfast. They have two places serving breakfast: the bar serves a rather uninspiring selection of pastries, but the restaurant serves a fantastic selection of delicious cooked breakfasts.

Anyway, overall I don't think this place was particularly brilliant, but it certainly wasn't bad. It seemed a bit overpriced for what I was used to, but as I said, I'm not really used to travelling in the US, and maybe US hotels are just generally more expensive than European ones.

PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Have stayed here numerous times. During most recent visit, noticed that guest rooms had been tastefully updated. I take the Amtrak to Union Station in DC; it is a straight shot to Bethesda on the Metro Red Line (much quicker and cheaper than a taxi). Metro is less than a block from Hyatt. Has Morton's Steak House on premises; good for business dinners if you have the time to spend and they have not cut back on your expense account too much. With the hotel's center atrium, it is a long walk from the elevator to some of the rooms, so I always request a room near the elevator. On last visit, saw several media celebrities who were in town to cover golf's US Open. Not the most deluxe or state-of-the-art hotel. but dependable and convenient for the business traveler.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
nicholas_koonz, Executive Assistant Manager, Rooms at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank you for continuing to choose Hyatt Regency Bethesda! We have recently updated some of our guestrooms and look forward to further improving our product. If you are looking for another option for a business breakfast, lunch or dinner , we recommend our Daily Grill. We are glad to accommodate your requests and happy that our location is convenient for your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Corvallis, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I stayed here during a conference . There were some high points--the staff in general was wonderful. My room, however, was very small and strangely shaped. The desk was placed in the hallway, making impossible to eat dinner and watch TV at the same time.
I would probably stay here again if I booked a different room type.

international
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel several times for business and this time was really disappointed. I have a Hyatt gold membership card and thought I would get a perk or two (which was sortof true, a newspaper and late checkout option). However, my room on the 4th floor had water that took 10 min to heat up. The meeting I attended in the Ballroom smelled like gym socks and all attendees were freezing. There was no cel phone reception in this room either. The catered lunch from the hotel was the worst I have ever had...the 2nd day everyone voted to eat outside the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
nicholas_koonz, Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank you for being a loyal Hyatt Gold Passport member. We appreciate you sharing these details about your experience and regret that you encountered the mentioned inconveniences. The feedback you shared is much appreciated as we take these comments very serious and have followed up with the respected areas. To further address your inconveniences, please contact the hotel directly.
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Thanks for a wonderful stay at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda. I love the fact that it is located right above the Metro Station. Very convenient for excursions to Washington DC. They even called the room to see if I was having a pleasant stay. Walking distance to restaurants.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
nicholas_koonz, Executive Assisant Manager, Rooms at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Bethesda! We are happy to see that our location was convenient for you and that you had a wonderful stay. Your feedback is appreciated as we aim to interact with all of our guests to assure your experience is worthwhile. We are pleased to see that you had the opportunity to explore the area and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!