“Another great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Bethesda

You added Hyatt Regency Bethesda to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   One Bethesda Metro Center, (7400 Wisconsin Ave), Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Romance Package
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Miami, Florida
“Another great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

My family came to visit again and I decided they should stay at the Hyatt in Bethesda.(once again) I wonder how many people know how close to DC this Hotel is. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

The metro is right under the hotel, so you really dont need a car to get around, that is big savings right there. My mom loves shopping, so this was the perfect area for her. If you not into hotel food, thought there is a Morton's inside, there a plenty of choices around. So many restaurants, movie theater, stores of all types.

Also, they are sooooo nice there. Whatever you need,they will go out of the way to get it for you. The rooms are nice and clean, and some of them have great views. It is so close to everything.

Just a few stops from Dupon Circle, so you can go and party. My brother was so glad the hotel was right over the train station. (too many drinks)

This is just a great Hotel, close to Chevy Chase, and only two miles from DC. I am a local, and I know all the hotels around. This you will love. I do. I will defenetely bring my family or friends here again.

• Liked — LOCATION. LOCATION. The metro right under the lobby.
  • Disliked — nothing really.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Sparta, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

Overview: My wife and I have stayed in a number of hotels in and about the DC area during the last couple of years (nine so far in 2007). On this weekend visit (October 26 - 28, 2007) to the Washington area we decided to stay in Bethesda as my wife wanted to do some shopping in the area as well as our usual DC itinerary. Our other area hotel options were booked (due to American University’s alumni weekend). There are good things and not-so-good things about this Hyatt. The August 13, 2007 TripAdviser reviewer (RockyTop) review expresses my sentiments exactly: this is ‘an OK Hyatt.

The plusses: Location – it is right on top of the Metro stop which is really convenient (especially if it is pouring rain as it was during part of our stay). Restaurants - there’s a Starbucks located in the lobby (overpriced but convenient) as well as a Morton’s Steakhouse. Other dining options are nearby. Room rate – we got a fairly good AAA rate, better (this time) than some nearby hotels. The bed was comfortable. And, we got a free newspaper each morning (with the sports page missing, I might add!).

The minuses: Housekeeping – we asked for extra glasses but never got them. Dirty plates were left in the room instead of being picked up. The red velvet (?!) chair had lint and other ‘stuff’ on it. We covered it with the bed’s duvet but I’m not sure that was an improvement. The ice bucket filled with melted ice was never emptied. The furniture – very dated, scratched and dinged up, and the desk’s Naugahyde chair was ripped and looked like it was ready for the Salvation Army to pick-up (see the picture). My wife said that the exercise room’s equipment was old and some pieces were barely functioning.

More minusses: Internet access – why do these so-called ‘higher end’ hotels continue to nickel and dime you for everything? Why should it cost $10 a day to access the hotel’s wireless network ? (And I'm a Hyatt Gold Passport member - I even called the front desk to verify that GP members have to pay the same fee. Indeed they do.) I expect that internet access should be free, much in the same way that the use of the television is free. If a Hampton Inn or a Holiday Inn can provide free access, why can’t the Hyatt? Noise – we had a room on the seventh floor, but we could still very clearly hear the band playing at 2 a.m. at the bar across the street from the Hyatt.

Would we stay here again? Maybe, if the price was right and the Bethesda location was needed. There are certainly better options nearby (the Residence Inn Bethesda and the Embassy Suites in Freedom Heights) that we would explore first for availability before this Hyatt.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Very dated and worn-out feel and look to it. Needs a make-over.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

This was a work trip and the Hyatt is an major Hotel in downtown Bethesda.

Good-
Very clean
Excellent location to train
Internet access works as advertised, though it is an additional fee per day

Neutral-
Pricey as are most hotels in area
Lots of local places to eat in walking distance
My room was fairly large but co-worker had very small room, YMMV

Bad-
My non-smoking room smelled highly of smoke. For me I get used to this quickly but for many this would be a show stopper. I suspect the Hyatt is suffering the pains of converting rooms to non smoking over time, this is a problem for older establishment, the smell is near impossible to get rid of.

I'm always amazed how higher end hotels sometimes lack the amenities cheaper hotels have - in this case no room refrigerator; shower but no tub

Very limited vending; machines did not work on "5" seperate floors before I found one that did work - result of externally (not very well) maintained vending system

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Albany, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

My partner had a conference for the NIH at the hotel. After having a problem staying in DC the night before the conference and finding the morning commute longer than expected we decided to stay here for a night. I checked in at the front desk and Walter was very helpful with check-in Although the rate of $229 was not the same rate I had been quoted over the phone just one day earlier. I made the reservation for one night just to be safe and make sure the accommodation's were OK. I went to check in our room and did the quick bathroom check only to find hair in the sink and tub,dirty mirrors and In fact the entire room decor was tired and a bit dusty. So I came back to the desk and asked about checking out another room. The second room bathroom was worse and again the room was dusty and needed vacuuming. How come hotels think they can charge over $200 a night and not clean the rooms. I decided that with my allergies I would not be able to stay here and would check other hotels. I checked out and was told my card was not billed.
Later when checking into another hotel I found out my visa card did not have enough available credit. I called visa to find that the Hyatt had a hold on my card for $572.96 The Hyatt had overcharged my card and I was told it would come off my card in 24 hrs. In fact that was wrong. I called the Hyatt 2 days later to get the charges taken off and was told I needed to call back on Monday and speak to accounting. Again I would have to wait another day. My partner was angry with this response and called the Hyatt corporate and about an hour of disputing this with the hotel manager Katie was able to call my credit card company to release the charge.
How can hotel put a hold on your visa for almost $600 when you didn't even stay there and if you had it was for only one night at $229. and then it took 4 days to get the charge taken off.
My partner and were very aggregated by this overall experience.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2007

After reading so many negative reviews I was skeptical of staying here. However, my experience was very positive. The front desk was very polite and helpful- especially Tim.
The rooms were nice and well-kept.
Easy access to the Metro. Within walking distance of great restaurants, a Safeway grocery store, cinema, and Barnes and Noble.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No free internet access-- at least in the Lobby. This was ridiculous!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colleyville, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

As others have noted, this is not the best example of a Hyatt by far, but it's okay. It looks like a Hyatt from the 70's with the greenery dangling from the the floors in the atrium, glass elevators and the things that made the Hyatt look different from other hotels many years ago. This Hyatt just looks dated and without the special Hyatt touches that made them unique in the old days. I don't know if 'that 70's look" is back or not, but I haven't seen a red velvet chair in a hotel room in awhile, but I had one in my rather darkly decorated room. The bed was comfortable and the old style TV (not flat screen) in the armoire worked fine, but the room was not nearly as nice as the Residence Inn 2 blocks away where I had a new kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath for less $'s. I like to stay in Hyatt's and get my Gold Passport points, but if I wasn't on business I would not have stayed here. There's nothing really special about the hotel other then it's located right at the Metro stop and that was very convenient.

• Liked — The Metro being so close
  • Disliked — It's a ho-hum hotel .. . nothing special.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
West Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

This is not the nicest Hyatt I've been in but it is not a Motel 6 either. I stayed for 5 nights, July 4 through July 9 2007

Location is excellent with the Metro right out the door and a great neighborhood surrounding the hotel.

The service was excellent, everyone extremely helpful and friendly. Room service was quick and my few requests were handled efficiently.

The room was very clean and housekeeping did a good job. Very comfortable bed. Good toiletries and strong shower. The furniture was old and somewhat frayed. Quiet (2nd floor). Internet access was pay-for and I had trouble buying access from the web site after the first day. The front desk was helpful getting me up and going quickly.

The restaurant (Daily Grill) was pretty good. Good service and while the food was not cheap it was good and plentiful. It has a bar in the lobby (coffee in the AM, drinks in the PM) that was convenient and a bar attached to the restaurant with an outside patio. It also has a shop near the lobby for souvenirs, necessities, etc.

I did not see/use the pool or other facilities.

With the Metro being so close, cheap, and efficient the Bethesda Hyatt was a great place to explore DC and then get the heck out of the hectic area after a long day. I would reccomend it if you are not paying the regular rates.

• Liked — Staff and Location
  • Disliked — Furnishings
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!