“Pleasantly surprised - turned a terrible experience into a favorable one!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Hotel Bethesda

Roof Top Poolside Package
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hellertown, PA
“Pleasantly surprised - turned a terrible experience into a favorable one!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

Folks - I'm not gonna lie - I'm a hotel snob. I'm in the industry (have been for over 14 years) and I am a picky hotel guest. The way my family and I ended up at the Doubletree Bethesday was unexpected. While driving from Pennsylvania to Orlando, FL for our Holiday vacation, we were hit a severe storm when driving through Maryland. I panicked, as I've driven through some pretty bad situations, but this storm was terrifying. I searched for nearby hotels on my GPS and found the Doubletree Bethesda. After some scary driving off the exit, getting to the hotel felt like relief. The Valet Parking attendant was right there to welcome us, and the front desk agent was cordial and helpful. She checked us into room 505, for what we thought would be one night. Unfortunately the storm got worse, and one night has turned into two. However, the room is very comfortable, even has an air purifier which helps with my allergies. Room service was quick and great - pricy - but well worth it. In general, no one likes to be stranded by a storm, but if I had to be stranded again, this is the definitely the hotel I would want to stay at. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

523 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Haven, CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

First room had paper thin walls and needed to move. Second room was perfectly fine with free internet, clean, and quite fine. Then came a trip to the restaurant OZ. Staff was incredibly rude and unhelpful. Our waiter was perhaps the worst I have ever had due to his poor attitude. Should be fired immediately! In the end I spoke with the restaurant manager to obtain my food and although he finished my order fine, he seemed unconcerned about his incompetent employee. Food was hit and miss by dish. Overall people are not service oriented and unhelpful.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
DT-Bethesda, General manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, December 23, 2009
Thank you for the candid feedback from your experience at our hotel and restaurant. We use all feedback as a training tool to assist us in focusing on improving and also for recognizing outstanding service. We strive to deliver good food, attractively presented, great wine selections and professional service to every guest that comes into our establishment, and your experience in our restaurant was out of the ordinary and regrettable. We will use your comments to highlight our goal of warm hospitality and I want to invite you back to experience our improvements first hand as my guest. Please contact me at your earliest convenience, so i can personally take care of your needs.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I live nearby but have friends who stay in the hotel during conferences. I've met various people at different times in the hotel bar, "OZ," and it has always been loud, with incredibly rude and inefficient service. I just spent 10 minutes looking for the barman who agreed to wait on us but couldn't be bothered to tell us what beer was available. (Answer: no taps, no dark beer, lots of Bud).

With so many good places in the immediate neighborhood, there is no reason to stay in the hotel and be first ignored, then insulted, then ripped off.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, November 16, 2009
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We take local and out of town visitor comments seriously, using our guests' insight to address any and all deficiencies. Your experience was not of the norm and I hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Livermore, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I stayed here for a business trip at NIH. The room had just about everything I wanted, but I had to request a refrigerator several times before getting it. The first morning I requested room service for breakfast to get an early start, but it was late. My major complaint was with the shuttle service that was reported to run on the hour to NIH. There was a different driver everyday, and the timing of it varied from on time to 50 minutes late depending on the driver and how busy they were. Overall, everyone was very nice and I got what I needed, except for the hourly shuttle service.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and insight. Since your review we have added shuttle service to compliment NIH's and assist in overcoming the delays caused by the enhanced gate security at the facility. Please let us know when you return, so we can provide you with proper and timely services for all your needs
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

With hourly shuttles to the NIH (and being within walking distance), this hotel is very conveniently located for someone who will be visiting NIH. The hotel was very clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Also close to good restaurants and bars so there were good nightlife options close by. The beds were extremely comfortable!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Stayed over the weekend and enjoyed our stay. The bed was super comfortable. I had a great sleep. The decor in nice and breakfast was scrumptious. Many choicese to choose from. Would recommend again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
DT-Bethesda, Owner/ manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, August 23, 2009
Thank you for your valuable feedback and helpful insight. We strive to exceed guest expectations by learning from the experiences you share with us. We look forward to your return visit in the future and allowing us to make us your home away from home

Sincerely
Annapolis, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

This hotel has a phenominal staff. We had planned to go out fo the evening but with no idea where to go. The staff had plenty of suggestions including lists, maps and the best way to get there. We had a wonderful night sampling the best of Bethesda right outside the back door. We must have had 150 bar/restaurant choices within a four block square. We sampled some of the sushi inside the hotel and it was first rate. The accomodations were very nice and of course very clean. The summer rates are incredible too. We only stayed one night, but we wanted to stay a lot longer.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!