“Great Location, Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Save Up To 20%
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Annapolis, MD
“Great Location, Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

This hotel has a phenominal staff. We had planned to go out fo the evening but with no idea where to go. The staff had plenty of suggestions including lists, maps and the best way to get there. We had a wonderful night sampling the best of Bethesda right outside the back door. We must have had 150 bar/restaurant choices within a four block square. We sampled some of the sushi inside the hotel and it was first rate. The accomodations were very nice and of course very clean. The summer rates are incredible too. We only stayed one night, but we wanted to stay a lot longer.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne,Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stayed here for 3 weeks, on holiday and to attend a conference. The hotel was great value, we paid in advance and got a rate around USD80 per night. Reception service was good, we got everything we asked for. The dining room breakfast was perhaps a little expensive, but there are plenty of excellent breakfast places all around. In fact, the best thing about this hotel was it's proximity to a full range of great restaurants, all within easy walking distance. In three weeks, we could have eaten in a different place for every meal of every day. The room cleaning was somewhat variable. Sometimes we had bathroom supplies which weren't replaced when used up, or coffee sachets not filled up. But the room size was great, and we had a great view from the 15th floor over the streets of downtown bethesda. The business centre had computors which were free to use, they seemed to be open whenever needed, even very late at night.. It's a 10 minute walk to the metro, and the beds are soft and comfortable with good quality linen. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

As a professional Meeting Planner, I support a number of events locally and across the country. The Doubletree Bethesda Hotel and Executive Meeting Center is a wonderful venue for corporate meetings and events. The staff is very personable, professional, solution-oriented, and friendly. I will sum up my experiences to the analogy of a marriage of convenience (oh-my-goodness-my-biological-clock-is-ticking-I'll take you-yeah the one holding the fried bologna-sandwhich!) versus a long-term marriage commitment with a truly compatible spouse. Operative word being compatible.

A marriage of convenience with a spouse that is practical, relatively attractive and “good for you” may offer security and mundane contentment. This type of union could work well for many years depending on how conservative your needs are. However, for the romantic, you experience and come to anticipate joy and longevity with a truly compatible spouse who exceeds your expectations and whose approach to life and problem solving may be just as effective, but different, delightfully innovative, and completely out-of-the box from anything you have ever experienced. For me, the Doubletree Hotel and Executive Meeting Center is that "compatible spouse" who literally offers the comfort of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies each day upon request.

Most hotels offer a consistent, traditional standard hotel experience that meets the customer’s basic lodging and meeting needs. However, the Doubletree Bethesda Hotel and Executive Meeting Center appeals to modern, savvy Meeting Planners with its state of the art audiovisual support and equipment, trendsetting execution of banquet services and functions, and comfortable meeting space.

Only a few negatives, I wish they had a sister-property in downtown DC; limited parking during hectic times; and the erratic, charbroil food smells from the neighboring restaurant in two meeting rooms at this facility. However, the hotel responded very quickly with no excuses in offering a solution to adequately address this last concern. I still maintain my opinion that the Doubletree Hotel and Executive Meeting Center is a venue that is conducive to a fun, budget sensitive and productive meeting experience. Besides we all could use some good clean fun, as we try to formulate answers to the harsh realities and uncertainties of these economically challenging times at meetings.

Monica Washington, CGMP
Meeting Planner

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I reserved this through priceline, so I paid significantly less than the hotel's website. Was put in a handicap room which was totally fine for me. I must say I would not rate this high if I paid the website price for the value factor. Hotel is very clean and nice. Staff is very friendly, even the valet staff. We had problems with the hot water and the maintenance guy was over in 3 mins even at 11:30 p.m. I was very impressed. Overall, very happy stay. Free internet, although could pay $10 for faster speed. Oh one note on parking, park across the street on the second level because overnight is free. But you would have to wake up before 7 a.m. to feed the meters. Valet is $20. Expensive!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

First impressions of the hotel are OK, with a nicely decorated lobby area (albeit with no natural light, as another reviewer observed). Check in was fine, but the elevator is the first hint that this is an old hotel that has not been kept up to par.

Leaving the elevator I was confronted by an A/C grill that had peeling paint and water damage. The door to the room had been damaged (a number of times, apparently) and painted over, making it appear very shabby. The room itself was decorated nicely enough, but was very 'rough around the edges'; paint peeling from the bathroom ceiling, chipped furniture, stained carpet. The in-room A/C was appallingly noisy, and started up at random with what can only be described as a blast of cold air.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and there was a nice (though pricey) selection of organic food available from the restaurants and room service. The Doubletree has a great location and the potential to be a great hotel, but really needs total refurbishment to justify being part of a Hilton brand.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

I found the Bethesda Doubletree slightly dingy in a basement-y sort of way. I arrived a day ahead of a meeting on a warm sunny day, anxious for fresh air after a day of traveling. But the lobby was depressing with no natural light at all. Moreover, the front desk clerk informed me that there are no outdoor spaces available for sitting, and no rooms at all with openable windows.

The room was outdated and cheaply furnished which is not a major problem, but when I used the bathroom at night I found I was sharing it with cockroaches. Sorry, but that was my limit. I'll stick to the Bethesda Marriott next time around.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

We tried to find a last minute hotel deal over 4th of July weekend and were surprised with the deal we got from Priceline. We requested a 3.5 star hotel in the Silver Spring area for $60 and it was accepted and the result was the Doubletree in Bethesda. That was a great deal for us since we were in town over 4th of July weekend.

Room - clean, great size with a nice corner window. Airconditioning was loud but we both slept through it with no problems.

Bathroom - very small but has been renovated. The shower could use a deep clean and maybe some new grout in the corners and the shower head could be cleaned better or replaced but those points were minor.

Service - service was fine and they allowed us to check in really early, 10 a.m. which was nice but we were not offered the cooke but when we asked the next day they gave us one so all was well.

Parking - for some reason it was only $5 per day overnight our first 2 nights but then it went up to $20 which we did not want to pay so we used street parking accross from the hotel...if you do this be prepared to be out there at 9am to feed the meeter and there is a 2 hour limit. There is a parking garage nearby as well but we did not check out the price for that. They tried to charge us for the $20 days we did not use but it was removed from the bill when we brought it to their attention.

Pool - there is a rooftop pool which was exciting but the excitement ended when we saw it. It did not seem like a normal pool and I don't know how to really describe it but it was not inviting so we did not use it. The patio furniture was nice and seemed new. I stuck my foot in and it was cold so I don't think it is heated but if you have kids they will swim in almost anything and at least the patio furniture makes it comfortable to be outside on a nice day.

Food - didn't eat at the hotel but there are tons of options in walking distance, very short walking distance.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!