“roadside motel feel....gross” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, New York, United States
“roadside motel feel....gross”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

lets see, we got a weekend special for $99/night, that was nice. i mean i would not have paid one more dollar to stay here. i mean if I paid an even $100 it would have been a rip off. The hotel was super crowded, elevator stopped on every stupid floor, packed with people in that hot elevator if i wanted to go anywhere, super annoying after the 3rd or 4th time trust me on this one. The pool was packed, it was summer so fine whatever, the pool deck was dirty, trash everywhere. Full of drunk people. You may ask, where did they get all these drinks? well there certainly wasnt a pool bar, nor was there anywhere in the hotel to buy food or drinks other than the snail-paced room service. So, when i wanted a couple of diet cokes and a beer I walked across the street the good old friendly neighborhood Bodega. And then i realized that i am Diamond Hilton member walking to a Bodega to get a beverage....the 'Pantry' they claimed had free food was completely empty, i mean it looked like there was a natural disaster and everyone ran into the Elite members pantry and stole all the food. Lets see....what else was classy about this place....oh yeah, the reusable shared bottles of shampoo and conditioner in the Shower.....i love sharing my toiletries with the prior guests as much as the next guy but GROSS! THe breakfast buffet wasnt bad.....at $17 for two people it cost 1/3 of the room rate....lol so expensive but at least it had good variety. Oh and my favorite part. I have never seen this in a hotel....probably because i try not to stay in shabby gross places like this but the advirtise in your bathroom that you can 'Forgoe housekeeping' if you want, and they will give you $8 back (!!!!)

All - in -all,the Doubletree Bethesda had done a pretty great job in bringing the cheap, roadside motel feel to the Hilton property name. I have never felt so underwhelmed to be a diamond member as i did at this stay.

Stayed July 2015
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, 1 week ago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The hotel is well positioned about 3 blocks from the Metro. Overall the rooms are spacious and the front and back rooms all have balconies. Frig in room and lots of good restaurants nearby. But it is very dated (circa 1980) and front desk is short on staff. Still a very good bargain, if you can live with a 1980 holiday inn atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to send your feedback to us James W. It appeared that you enjoyed your overall experience. The location of this hotel is superb just because it is centered near plenty of restaurants and very close to the metro making it convenient for everyone. The rooms have all been updated over the last couples of months and further updates will be made to provide our guest with the most up to date amenities. We hope to see you again soon.
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Disappointing. air conditioning sounds like a freight train. Room adequate, bathroom nice. Place doesn't look clean - hallway walls dirty, as hot as a rain forest, chips and marks on walls and furniture in room and in common areas. Multi use bottles for toiletries in the shower. Needless to say, I wouldn't use those. Customer service needs much work. Person at desk is always so swamped you can't get near him/her to ask a question. A driveway for cars is the only way into the front of the hotel, so you are dodging cars on the way in and out. Person in the valet area yelling at customers - very rude. Internet service very very poor. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled on business
Hello Nyeruws, thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was very disappointed to read that you had a no so good experience at this hotel. As the General Manager I take this very personally. We take great pride in ensuring our guest's satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future. We do hope you will consider staying with us again when ever you return to Washington DC area, so we can Make It Right!
Sykesville, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stay here on a fairly regular basis and will continue to do so. Some stays are better than others and some exceed our expectations. I would recommend this hotel in the future. This particular stay did not have the gentleman we are used to see at the front counter. The girls working the front desk were not as helpful as we have had in the past.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you Erica S for the great review. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I was happy to read that you felt our service was above your expectations and you would recommend us for the future. Thank you for your continued business, it is very much appreciated.We hope to see you again the next time your plans bring you back to the Bethesda area.
North Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

...and not even that. A lot of my confusion about this property was resolved when I saw the charge that hit my credit card...Holiday Inn Bethesda. This hotel was obviously bought by Hilton and the Doubletree name was slapped on it, but that's really about all that was done. We are very loyal to Hilton as Diamond level travelers, and Hilton very rarely fails to deliver a top notch experience. Alas, this is one of those times. This come on the heels of a great July 4 weekend at a "true" Hilton in Fort Lauderdale. The problem started at the front desk, where indifference was the theme. My wife noted that the hand sanitizers were empty. No chocolate chip cookies...maybe I should be grateful for that. In the room itself, the shower had lots of conditioner but none of the containers had shampoo, so we used our own...not a tragedy, but not what one expects from Hilton. We were not given our complementary waters. The pantry on the tenth floor, which we had access to, was sparsely stocked. Don't ask about the coffee in our room. Since I hate being totally negative, I can say that our complementary breakfasts were very good and the dining room staff were all nice and helpful. Our daughter, who stayed with us, was comped for breakfast, which the hotel did not have to do. I wouldn't stay at this Doubletree again because there are simply too many authentic Hilton properties in the DC area. This one needs a lot of work to make it a Hilton.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with family
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you Mr. Waxwein for your time and for sharing your feedback with us, based on your feedback it is quite obvious that you had a “not so great” experience with us. We are definitely better that what you have described. I would hope for another chance to serve you in the future and to change your perception of our service levels.
Anchorage, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel room was clean, and the pillows and beds were really comfortable. The AC worked very well too. It got a little noisy at night from other guests, but it wasn't bad. We enjoyed our stay here and would choose this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hi Ellie J ., thank you for staying with us and for your feedback is really appreciated. It’s great to know that you enjoyed the room accommodation overall. Please come back and see us again soon.
Laurel, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed for a wedding. Called to request late checK in and they were very rude and quick. I was hung up on before I could even finish. I found this to be very rude and unprofessional. Had I not already paid in advance I would have stayed at another hotel. The front desk when I arrived that evening were nice. Rooms were very clean. My only con(s)/heads up are unless you want to park in a garage off site and walk you have to use valet parking ($28p/d). Bathrooms are pretty tight and small.

Stayed July 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you mrsjdlan for your note. I guarantee you that what you have experienced was an anomaly and not the norm. I do hope you will consider staying with us the next time you return to Washington DC area; we want to Make It Right for you!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott
Bethesda Marriott
#8 of 11 in Bethesda
3.5 of 5 stars 341 reviews

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!