“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New Jersey
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Double Tree Bethesda for a wedding we had locally. It's located on a main street, so you might just pass it without realizing! There is a free parking lot directly across the street so dont pay for vallet! Upon check in, we both got a warm chocolate chip cookie! That was the best treat ever!!! Our room was nice and clean and the beds were very comfy. Dont expect a nice view....again you are on a main street, so there isnt much of a view. The staff at the front desk was friendly...and they offer Starbucks at the coffee counter. Great experience overall.

• Liked — The warm chocolate chip cookies upon check in!!!!
  • Disliked — Only one person at the check in counter...
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

559 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bedford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We stayed at the Doubletree for one night last weekend when we dropped my son off at American University. We got a great AU discounted rate. The room was very spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was roomier than those in many hotels I've stayed in. The location was great - several blocks of interesting restaurants and just 10 minutes down the road from AU. The only complaint I have is the $20 mandatory valet parking. This hotel was MUCH better than the Golden Tulip Bethesda Court hotel we stayed at last time we were in the area.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nashville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I recently stayed two nights at this hotel for a conference at NIH. Overall I was very pleased with the hotel and would recommend it highly.

I know others have reported a slow check-in, but I arrived at 2am so there was no line and I was checked in within 5 minutes. The warm chocolate chip cookie they give you at check-in is a nice touch. The free wireless in rooms is also great.

The hotel itself is tastefully decorated, as was my room (on the 15th floor). The room was very nice with a down comforter, flat screen television, etc. The only downside to the room is that the bathroom is very small. The room did have an extra sink outside the bathroom, though, which would be necessary if multiple people stayed in the room.

I did not spend much time in the surrounding area, but would recommend the Thai restaurant, Sala Thai, that is just around the block. There were lots of other restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, as well as a square area with a fountain/benches.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Gaithersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

My daughter had her wedding reception at the Doubletree and we had family members come in from around the country. Everyone was impressed with the newly renovated lobby and restaurant area which felt much like a boutique hotel. The rooms were spacious with flat panel TVs and very comfortable beds. The reception was held in the Grand Ballroom which was attractively appointed with crystal chandeliers, floor length linens and a pair of fountains. The food was amazing, the chef is very talented.

The location was very convenient because we were able to walk to different restaurants every night. The new Japanese place a block from the hotel was superb. Also, many of our guests took the shuttle provided by the hotel to Metro for siteseeing excursions to downtown DC.

The staff was friendly and very accommodating. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone looking for hold a wedding reception. Our family had a great time.

• Liked — Tghe 32
  • Disliked — Valet parking
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Latham, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

This was a great choice for us while visiting DC for a long weekend. The rooms were clean and nicely updated. It is a little less than a mile walk to a metro station. The price was excellent for so close to the DC metro area. The breakfast buffet, a little pricey at $15, was good, but nothing special. Do not go for a tour of DC without breakfast, you will become grumpy fast. Excellent business center, 6 new computers and a fast laser printer. Free printing. Don't forget the great cookies at check-in. They did not allow us to check-in early either, we arrived around 11am, they checked our bags for us and off we went.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Unaware that they had a metro station shuttle until our last day there.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

I booked 2 rooms at this property for a recent family getaway and am thoroughly disgusted with my experience.

I advised the Hotel that I would be arriving early after a trans-con redeye flight. I was told that checking in early would not be a problem. Well....

The "General Manager" (who, incidentally was not) told me that it was unheard of in the hotel industry to accomodate early check in. At nearly 11A, he told me that nobody had checked out, and that since the hotel was full the night previous, I would have to wait until 4p to check in. Irritated, I placed my belongings in my family member's room and set out.

At 3p, I returned to the hotel, deliriously tired. My "assigned" room was not ready, but I was sent to another. 15th floor - VERY high ceilings - ok, great. I crashed.

At 5:30p, I attempted to take a hot shower. It was luke warm, but I didn't think much of it. (Read: delirious)

That night, I tried to put belongings in the safe provided. Whoops - it wasn't bolted down, nor did it have power for the key pad. Picky details! I hid things and hoped for the best.

The next evening, I asked for a wake up call from a nap - foolish me, I expected it. Never happened. Then, I attempted to take a shower - but had no hot water. I reported this to the manager on duty - incidentially also the hotel's restaurant manager. I checked in with him when I returned to the property, and he reported that I had hot water. By the time I got to my room - tepid at best. A parade of people and suggestions came through - ultimately what we learned - "You need to let the water run for at least 5 mintues to warm up the pipes." Fascinating!

The next morning....hot shower. Without warming the pipes.

I wanted a Chai tea latte - there was a "serving Starbucks" sign in the lobby. So.....tried, they dont have it. No worries - how about a hot chocolate? Sure! For $3, you can have 2 packets of Nestle and some hot water. Noooo thanks. Most hotels would hand you Nestle packets gratis.

There was nothing great about this property - the parking attendants were slower than anything I've seen and didn't manage to understand that in the US, cars are ALWAYS driven on the RIGHT side of the road. The rooms were OK, but the renovations didn't apply to providing clean tile for the bathrooms. Oh, and...they provide free internet, but at 256K bps. Neat!

Great location - especially for NIH folks - but really misses the mark on some very important issues.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NE USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

The hotel is still ironing out some problems after finally finishing their renovations.

We had the strangest waiter in the restaurant for dinner. He was inattentive and clearly did not enjoy his job. The food was overpriced. Some was excellent and some was less than mediocre. Later that night half of us were really sick with vomitting and diarhea. (FYI they do not offer a kids menu at dinner, only breakfast and lunch. Bizarre.) Also they light four gazillion candles so it is REALLY HOT and uncomfortable.

The sleeping rooms have just been renovated and are beautiful. The conference area is very nice too.

This is not very close to the metro, so if you are vacationing and spending a lot of time in DC, you might want to stay some place closer to the metro like the Hyatt Bethesda or the Chevy Chase Embassy Suites.

If you get a good deal and are here on business you will probably enjoy yourself as long as you eat offsite. There are plenty of great restaurants within easy walking distance.

• Liked — The sleeping room decor
  • Disliked — The food in the restaurant
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!