“Not up to the Doubletree standard” 3 of 5 stars

Save Up To 20%
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Not up to the Doubletree standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here recently for a meeting at the National Institutes of Health. It is closer to NIH than other Bethesda hotels if you want to walk, and the room was reasonably comfortable, although the bathroom was tiny. But the rest of the hotel and amenities leave much to be desired. The restaurant charges $18 for a skimpy "buffet" (I got a free coupon as a Gold member) - go up the street to the Pancake House for a better and cheaper meal. Internet access is sluggish - I had to plug into the broadband cable provided in the room, and it's still slow. The gym area is OK, but one of the elliptical machines was broken and dirty towels are piled up on the floor. I'm a frequent visitor to other Doubletree hotels where everything is clean and it was disappointing to see this inattentiveness. The 2nd-floor conference area looked nice, although I did not use it, except to print my boarding pass in the business center ("it's COMPLIMENTARY!" a staff member assured me. Well, I should hope so!) Next time I'm in Bethesda, I'll probably stay at the Hyatt or Hilton Garden Inn, even though they are slightly further from NIH.

Green Features: I applaud the Doubletree chain's provision of separate recycling bins in every room - wish more hotels would do this. But why did they leave me two new, boxed bars of soap every day when they cleaned - despite the presence of a nearly new bar in the soap dish? Seems contradictory.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hello Avatar, thank you for your feedback. I am glad you were happy about the comfort of the room and the hotel proximity to NIH. Our breakfast buffet variety and standards competes well with any 4 star restaurant in the area, we are also reasonably priced. Our internet connection was upgraded a year ago to a more robust system. We will do a walk through test to ensure there are not connectivity issues throughout the building. The day you experienced pool towels on the gym floor is an exception to the norm, we have since put in place corrective measure to prevent the pool towel bin from overflowing. I do hope you try us again the next time you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chapel Hill, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was at the Bethesda Double Tree for a conference this past week and enjoyed my stay. The rooms are big and very comfortable. The conference rooms were very accomodating and the staff very polite and eager to help. It is a little pricey to stay there even at the "conference rate" but it is what it is when you have to be in attendance.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Good Day Jennifer, thank you for posting your feedback on your experience with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. The next time you visit with us, if it's in the summer months ask about our weekly events on our rooftop pool, there is a lot to enjoy.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I've stayed here a number of times on business, as the agency I work for contracts with this hotel Service is consistently good with efficient check-in and check-out. Rooms are definitely not luxurious, but they're comfortable and clean with good layout and reasonably nice decor. This is a reasonably good hotel for a business trip. I would not want to stay here if traveling for pleasure, though. Hotel is in a rather dreary location, but it's close to the NIH.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Nester, thank you for the feedback. We often get compliments about our location and the proximity to upscale bars and restaurant literally across the street. Our shuttle service to the metro four blocks away and shops within walking distance are huge pluses. Our rooftop pool is very popular with our guests, presenting the best view of downtown Bethesda. We do have a variety of room choices, most of which are larger than the one you described. We are also in the process of replacing some of our room furnishings; this should be completed within the next three months. Thanks for choosing our hotel, I really hope to see you again maybe on a leisure trip.
Jacksonville, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

--The location was perfect! Close to Walter Reed, Bethesda Row, lots of places to eat, etc. --The layout of the room was very cramped. There was very little space to walk between the desk chair and bed to get through to the rest of the room. It was not convenient. The chair in particular was in bad condition. Having a corner room with two large windows was awesome. There was no stand to put my suitcase on. Normally there's one stored in the closet in hotel rooms. --The fitness center needed cleaning. There was no phone in there to call the front desk, so when I realized the water dispenser was empty I couldn't call down (I didn't have my cell phone on me). Some of the machines (like the ellipticals) needed servicing. --The elevator situation was very aggravating because only 2 of the 3 elevators went all the way to the penthouse (PH). There was no way to request only those 2 elevators though. Sometimes it was a long wait to catch the right elevator. --I really like that the hotel recycles. --The customer service was disappointing. Many of the front desk workers were unfriendly and I had a hard time understanding many of the workers because they did not speak English well. The woman who were working when I checked out were very friendly though. Only one time was I able to able to contact someone at the front desk from the phone in my room within a reasonable amount of time. Usually I gave up and physically went to the front desk or called on my cell phone. One night I stopped at the front desk at 9 PM to ask for clean towels. I was told they'd be brought right up. An hour and a half later it was getting late and I called downstairs because I needed to get ready for bed (I had an early morning). I told the woman I was getting ready for bed and asked that the towels be left on the floor outside my room because I was in my pajamas and couldn't open the door. Luckily I had showered earlier since I had no clean towels left that night. When a man brought the towels up he kept knocking on the door and I asked him to leave the towels on the floor (which was gross) because I wasn't dressed to open the door. The front desk staff apparently hadn't relayed that message to him. --The first night I called in-room dining because I had a question about the menu. The woman said she didn't work the breakfast shift and couldn't answer a simple question. The prices for all items (e.g. orange juice, hot tea) should be put on the in-room dining card. --I really appreciated the shuttle to Walter Reed, although each staff member gave me a different version of when it left in the morning, how to get on it, etc. Also, when I filled out an online form asking about the shuttle before booking the hotel no one responded. --Having a microwave and refrigerator in the room was great. The refrigerator was not plugged in though, which I didn't realize until I put leftovers in it and realized it wasn't cold. It was also full of mold.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Jolene, we appreciate and take your comment very seriously… We are glad you appreciated our location and shuttle service… There is a phone in our fitness room; we also take pride in cleaning our fitness room and service or equipment at least twice per day. Our chairs in our guest rooms will be replaced with brand new chairs within the next two to three months. Thanks for mentioning our recycle program; we are very passionate about this effort which is also popular with our guests. We are accustoming to getting great feedback about the friendliness and efficiency of our staff; we will continue to push for excellence in this area. We have investigated all the areas of concern you mention and have put into progress corrective measures. Thanks for your feedback.
Belleville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel does except the local government per diem rate of 224 per night and that is the only reason I stayed here. Close proximity to public transportation and the Navy hospital, otherwise close to nothing worth going to. Check in was very nice, I was given 2 tiny bottles of water and some extremely delicious cookies and the desk clerk was very nice. The large bottles of water in the room would cost $5. The room itself was fairly minimal, the room was your average size with the usual furniture. The cool part of this hotel was the roof top pool that gave a decent city view and would be a nice area to hang out. I wouldn't stay here on a personal trip as most people probably don't any way which is how this hotel gets away with it's gouging.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on a higher floor so as to have a nicer view, this is one of the larger build...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Knexster, You mentioned some positive things about our hotel, our great proximity to NIH and Walter Reed, you also mentioned your great check in experience received complimentary cookie and bottled water. Overwhelmingly, the feedback we usually receive from our guests has always been "great value, reasonably priced, great amenities and convenient location"…Price gauging is not a word we are accustom to seeing.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel was immaculate. The food was excellent. The cookies were warm and so yummy. The location was convenient to my conference location. The valet service was very helpful. I parked in the parking garage vs valet and it was much cheaper and very close. The valet gentleman assited me every step of the way.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Valued Guest, on behalf of the entire Doubletree Bethesda Team I want to say a big thank you for your kind heartfelt words about our hotel services. We hope to serve you again soon.
Albany, NY, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Friendly efficient staff. Nice location and good amenities. Close to great shopping and restaurants. Had a very pleasant stay. Great for both business travel and a family trip. Close to the metro and Washington DC.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hi Vinny, I shared your kind feedback with our staff, and they are thrilled. We take a lot of pride in trying to delivering friendly efficient service to every guest who walks through our doors. I am glad you felt it... We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!