“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Jacksonville, United States
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

--The location was perfect! Close to Walter Reed, Bethesda Row, lots of places to eat, etc. --The layout of the room was very cramped. There was very little space to walk between the desk chair and bed to get through to the rest of the room. It was not convenient. The chair in particular was in bad condition. Having a corner room with two large windows was awesome. There was no stand to put my suitcase on. Normally there's one stored in the closet in hotel rooms. --The fitness center needed cleaning. There was no phone in there to call the front desk, so when I realized the water dispenser was empty I couldn't call down (I didn't have my cell phone on me). Some of the machines (like the ellipticals) needed servicing. --The elevator situation was very aggravating because only 2 of the 3 elevators went all the way to the penthouse (PH). There was no way to request only those 2 elevators though. Sometimes it was a long wait to catch the right elevator. --I really like that the hotel recycles. --The customer service was disappointing. Many of the front desk workers were unfriendly and I had a hard time understanding many of the workers because they did not speak English well. The woman who were working when I checked out were very friendly though. Only one time was I able to able to contact someone at the front desk from the phone in my room within a reasonable amount of time. Usually I gave up and physically went to the front desk or called on my cell phone. One night I stopped at the front desk at 9 PM to ask for clean towels. I was told they'd be brought right up. An hour and a half later it was getting late and I called downstairs because I needed to get ready for bed (I had an early morning). I told the woman I was getting ready for bed and asked that the towels be left on the floor outside my room because I was in my pajamas and couldn't open the door. Luckily I had showered earlier since I had no clean towels left that night. When a man brought the towels up he kept knocking on the door and I asked him to leave the towels on the floor (which was gross) because I wasn't dressed to open the door. The front desk staff apparently hadn't relayed that message to him. --The first night I called in-room dining because I had a question about the menu. The woman said she didn't work the breakfast shift and couldn't answer a simple question. The prices for all items (e.g. orange juice, hot tea) should be put on the in-room dining card. --I really appreciated the shuttle to Walter Reed, although each staff member gave me a different version of when it left in the morning, how to get on it, etc. Also, when I filled out an online form asking about the shuttle before booking the hotel no one responded. --Having a microwave and refrigerator in the room was great. The refrigerator was not plugged in though, which I didn't realize until I put leftovers in it and realized it wasn't cold. It was also full of mold.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hi Jolene, we appreciate and take your comment very seriously… We are glad you appreciated our location and shuttle service… There is a phone in our fitness room; we also take pride in cleaning our fitness room and service or equipment at least twice per day. Our chairs in our guest rooms will be replaced with brand new chairs within the next two to three months. Thanks for mentioning our recycle program; we are very passionate about this effort which is also popular with our guests. We are accustoming to getting great feedback about the friendliness and efficiency of our staff; we will continue to push for excellence in this area. We have investigated all the areas of concern you mention and have put into progress corrective measures. Thanks for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belleville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel does except the local government per diem rate of 224 per night and that is the only reason I stayed here. Close proximity to public transportation and the Navy hospital, otherwise close to nothing worth going to. Check in was very nice, I was given 2 tiny bottles of water and some extremely delicious cookies and the desk clerk was very nice. The large bottles of water in the room would cost $5. The room itself was fairly minimal, the room was your average size with the usual furniture. The cool part of this hotel was the roof top pool that gave a decent city view and would be a nice area to hang out. I wouldn't stay here on a personal trip as most people probably don't any way which is how this hotel gets away with it's gouging.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on a higher floor so as to have a nicer view, this is one of the larger build...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Knexster, You mentioned some positive things about our hotel, our great proximity to NIH and Walter Reed, you also mentioned your great check in experience received complimentary cookie and bottled water. Overwhelmingly, the feedback we usually receive from our guests has always been "great value, reasonably priced, great amenities and convenient location"…Price gauging is not a word we are accustom to seeing.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The hotel was immaculate. The food was excellent. The cookies were warm and so yummy. The location was convenient to my conference location. The valet service was very helpful. I parked in the parking garage vs valet and it was much cheaper and very close. The valet gentleman assited me every step of the way.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Valued Guest, on behalf of the entire Doubletree Bethesda Team I want to say a big thank you for your kind heartfelt words about our hotel services. We hope to serve you again soon.
Albany, NY, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Friendly efficient staff. Nice location and good amenities. Close to great shopping and restaurants. Had a very pleasant stay. Great for both business travel and a family trip. Close to the metro and Washington DC.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hi Vinny, I shared your kind feedback with our staff, and they are thrilled. We take a lot of pride in trying to delivering friendly efficient service to every guest who walks through our doors. I am glad you felt it... We hope to see you again soon.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel for the most part is nice enough. The room itself is dated aside from the bedding which is very nice. The bathroom is decent size but the fact that the oversized door swings into it made bathing my 8 month old in the tub quite difficult. Some of the Pro's would have to be the nice beds, the fact that they offer a shuttle bus to and from Walter Reed throughout the day starting at 7am, a starbucks coffee shop in the hotel, free internet access, and are located near a variety of restaurants. The staff was friendly and especially helpful. The con's..... no self parking, only valet parking which costs $22 a week day and $12 a weekend however there is a parking garage behind the hotel that offers week day parking for $.80 an hour and free parking on the weekend, the area around the hotel is not especially nice and the view of the torn down gas station out our window were less than pleasing. The hotel itself was nice but overall I think we paid more than we should have for what we received.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Hi JDHL, thank you for your feedback. You were kind enough to mention quite a few pros about our hotel, thank you. The torn down gas station you mentioned is being cleaned up by a developer; it is a proposed site for a bank. Most of our guest appreciates the area around the hotel for its proximity to restaurants and shops. We believe that our rates are very competitive in the Bethesda area.
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Needed a reasonably priced place to stay for a night away from parenting and tried this for the first time. Easy walking distance to restaurants and has a shuttle to the metro. VERY friendly and helpful staff. Room and lobby looked great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Good: clean, comfortable beds, good room service food at reasonable prices, convenient walking distance to shops and restaurants. Troubling: if there for a few days with your car and you need to use your car, have to have them bring it to you every time, plus you end up in a line of cars waiting to drive back in to drop off the car at valet parking. There for a wedding Memorial day weekend so they were very busy. The bad: I carefully made a certain room reservation for deluxe room with double beds since traveling with elderly relative. They had my packet ready when I checked in and turned out they put us in a deluxe room with one bed. Called down, they said no record of a double bed reservation - I said it showed clearly on my iPad email. Fixed it but 1 hour of waiting for us, with no offer of more cookies, lunch, etc for our trouble.

Room Tip: Bring a copy of your room confirmation with you so you get what you reserved. Also, suggest NOT get...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello Maggie, we are delighted that you chose to stay with us. Thank you for pointing out some of our great amenities. We are particularly proud of our new Share concept menu and small plate offering in our lounge. Our valet team's efficiency is one of the more celebrated area based on guest feedback. Our Hilton Reservation system is one that has to have integrity; we believe strongly that we should deliver to our guest whatever we promised.

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!