“Nice enough but dated and somewhat inconvenient.” 3 of 5 stars

RoofTop Poolside Package
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Nice enough but dated and somewhat inconvenient.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel for the most part is nice enough. The room itself is dated aside from the bedding which is very nice. The bathroom is decent size but the fact that the oversized door swings into it made bathing my 8 month old in the tub quite difficult. Some of the Pro's would have to be the nice beds, the fact that they offer a shuttle bus to and from Walter Reed throughout the day starting at 7am, a starbucks coffee shop in the hotel, free internet access, and are located near a variety of restaurants. The staff was friendly and especially helpful. The con's..... no self parking, only valet parking which costs $22 a week day and $12 a weekend however there is a parking garage behind the hotel that offers week day parking for $.80 an hour and free parking on the weekend, the area around the hotel is not especially nice and the view of the torn down gas station out our window were less than pleasing. The hotel itself was nice but overall I think we paid more than we should have for what we received.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Hi JDHL, thank you for your feedback. You were kind enough to mention quite a few pros about our hotel, thank you. The torn down gas station you mentioned is being cleaned up by a developer; it is a proposed site for a bank. Most of our guest appreciates the area around the hotel for its proximity to restaurants and shops. We believe that our rates are very competitive in the Bethesda area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Needed a reasonably priced place to stay for a night away from parenting and tried this for the first time. Easy walking distance to restaurants and has a shuttle to the metro. VERY friendly and helpful staff. Room and lobby looked great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Good: clean, comfortable beds, good room service food at reasonable prices, convenient walking distance to shops and restaurants. Troubling: if there for a few days with your car and you need to use your car, have to have them bring it to you every time, plus you end up in a line of cars waiting to drive back in to drop off the car at valet parking. There for a wedding Memorial day weekend so they were very busy. The bad: I carefully made a certain room reservation for deluxe room with double beds since traveling with elderly relative. They had my packet ready when I checked in and turned out they put us in a deluxe room with one bed. Called down, they said no record of a double bed reservation - I said it showed clearly on my iPad email. Fixed it but 1 hour of waiting for us, with no offer of more cookies, lunch, etc for our trouble.

Room Tip: Bring a copy of your room confirmation with you so you get what you reserved. Also, suggest NOT get...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hello Maggie, we are delighted that you chose to stay with us. Thank you for pointing out some of our great amenities. We are particularly proud of our new Share concept menu and small plate offering in our lounge. Our valet team's efficiency is one of the more celebrated area based on guest feedback. Our Hilton Reservation system is one that has to have integrity; we believe strongly that we should deliver to our guest whatever we promised.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I recently reserved a room at the Doubletree, through Priceline, for a two-night stay. My son was injured and we were not able to keep the reservation. I called the hotel and explained that we could not come the first night but maybe the second night (driving from New York to D.C.). The situation did not allow us to go either night. I called Priceline and they told me I had to speak to the hotel directly (the Priceline people were very understanding and did attempt to help). When I called the Doubletree, I was told that the reservation could not be refunded. I don't see why the hotel could not make an exception due to the fact that the circumstances were unforeseen, unpredictable, and out of my control. I consider this poor customer service and total lack of understanding. I would not stay here in future.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hi Kristen, we are usually pretty flexible with extreme circumstances. We understand that unexpected things happen in life.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was in DC for Memorial Day weekend. I got a great rate here from Hotwire (around $72/night) and then discovered that there is a lot of street parking around the hotel where you can park for free if you get in late enough each night and left early enough in the am (which we did) so this saved us another $20 or so each day in parking.

The hotel was clean and had nice amenities. One day our keys weren't working anymore and the gentleman at the front desk was very accomodating--fixed the problem and gave us extra cookies and bottled water to compensate. The beds are nice--almost too soft for my taste--and the tolietries in the bathroom were Crabtree & Evelyn (if you care about that kind of stuff).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Emily, I hope all is going well with you in Charlotte. Thanks for your kind feedback. You were nice enough to point out some of our great amenities. If you come back in the summer, be sure to try our popular roof top pool with the best view of Bethesda.
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was here for a business trip with a group of close to 100 people. Valet parking only ($22 was waived for our group). I arrived 10:30PM--no waiting for parking or check-in. Delicious warm chocolate chip cookie upon arrival.

Small bathroom - unable to completely open bathroom door due to large shower behind door. Spacious room, comfortable overstuffed chair and ottoman, no refridgerator in room but did have coffee maker (didn't use because it was dusty on top). Rest of the room was clean. I had the best sleep because they have the BEST mattresses and pillows...cradles you to sleep (I even inquired where I could purchase for my own). Pillows remain full and don't turn into pancakes after sleeping on them. Big towels!!!

Found all staff to be friendly, from valet, front desk, maintenance, dining services. This is a "green" hotel (their wastecans have dividers in them to separate trash from recyclables).

Meals were included and were tasty, except all the main meat/fish entrees and meat sides were too salty for me. Buffet breakfast with omlette stand, cereals, yogurt, dry cereals/oatmeal, fresh fruit, pancakes, breakfast meats. Buffet lunch and dinners with salads, lunch meats and cheese, fish, chicken, steak, burgers, grilled vegetables, potatoes, rice, macaroni, sweets table. We also had snacks provided during our meetings: scallops wrapped in bacon, meatballs, yogurt, fresh fruit, power and granola bars, mini-size candy bars, nuts, all kinds of beverages.

There were problems with the electronic system for our meeting, but we made the best of the situation. The pool is located on the rooftop and was not open in May and as far as I know, there is no indoor pool. It took some time to get used to the AC turning on/off when it reached the temperature it was set to (woke me up the 1st 2 nights then I became accustomed to it).

Overall a good experience though.

Green Features: Pleased to see some of the obvious "green" practices
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello Jeanette, it is great hearing about your experience with us. Your feedback is very detailed, and we appreciate your honest take on everything. Our beautiful rooftop pool is open in the summer; I hope you get a chance to experience it. A clean comfortable room along with great service continues to be our top priority for our guests.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We recently stayed here this past week because my husband had an appointment at NIH in Bethesda, MD. It seemed to be the most reasonably priced and centrally located hotel in the area. The room was comfortable, beds very comfy, and the bathroom was quite roomy. We also like having a separate sink and mirror located outside of the main bathroom. The only thing that we wish to point out is that there were not enough coffee packs or coffee creamer. There were only 2 regular coffee packs and 2 creamers. We like having decaf in the evening and there were none in the room. We were very glad that breakfast was included in our rate because the buffet breakfast was $18 a person!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hello Michail99, "Missing Items" is a bit misleading. After reading your feedback, it appears nothing was missing from the room, it seem that your stay went quite well. You pointed out some great features about our hotel and we appreciate it. It’s important to note that additional coffee and creamer are available upon request to all our guests. We hope to serve you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott
Bethesda Marriott
#8 of 11 in Bethesda
3.5 of 5 stars 341 reviews

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!