“My second home for the last two years...” 4 of 5 stars

Earn 2X Points Today!
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“My second home for the last two years...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'm Diamond in Hilton's frequent guest program. I've stayed at many different Hilton properties across the nation. I've stayed at the DoubleTree Bethesda a great many times over the last two years as they are just blocks from my company HQ. But there are numerous hotels nearby including another Hilton property.

I stay here because the staff is truly top-notch. The folks at the front desk greet me like family when I arrive late at night after a long day of travel. It's a small thing but it makes a difference. I stay here because the beds and pillows are wonderful! Can't say the same for all hotels. I stay here because the food is good and the place is always clean.

Simply a great hotel for business travel to Bethesda.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear LPR9, your feedback is flattering in many ways and we appreciate it. We sincerely make an extra effort to treat our late arriving guests with the same special welcome as we do the early guest arrivals. Practicing consistency in service and showing appreciation to our guests is truly one of our great strengths. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is a standard Doubletree hotel but the service is a step up from most. The desk clerks were extremely helpful and pleasant and made my stay special. The rooms are clean and the linens are of good quality. There is a decent fitness center on the roof with three treadmills, some elliptical machines and stationary bikes. There is a second area sort of hidden around the corner that has some weights. The cardio machines are of good quality and have their own tvs. The fitness center opens at 5:00am which was nice as by shortly after 6:00am there were waits for some of the machines. (There are also some private gyms in the area including Equinox.)

The downside of the hotel is its location. It is about halfway between the NIH metro station and Bethesda so it is a bit of a walk if you have luggage (the hotel has a shuttle that runs intermittently). When I needed a cab at check out, it was a 15 minute wait. Do call ahead. That said, if you don’t mind walking a little bit, you do all the restaurants of Bethesda available. (If location is a priority, try the Hyatt above the Bethesda station or the Embassy Suites above the Friendship Heights. Of the three, the Embassy Suites is the best.) The food at the hotel is just ok, but again, the staff are very nice. And remember, Doubletree hotels give out warm chocolate chip cookies at check-in. It was a nice treat when I arrive at midnight following a weather delayed flight.

Room Tip: Some rooms have refrigerators which can be helpful if you want to keep snacks in your room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello Runkate, thank you for the compliment about our staff; we believe that our warm and caring staff set us apart from the other hotels in Bethesda. You pointed out some of our great features that you noticed during your experience with us; we sincerely appreciate that. Regarding location, we usually receive high marks in this area from our guests. The hotel is situated in a great part of Bethesda, blocks away from the Bethesda shopping district, hundreds of trendy restaurants and bars are within blocks of the hotel. We are also literally walking distance from NIH and Walter Reed facilities which many visitors appreciate. Also, not only do we provide shuttle service to NIH and Walter Reed, we also provide shuttle service every 30 minutes to and from the metro which is only 6 walk-able blocks away?
Cameron, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great hotel cleanliness was outstanding! Would definitely recommend for future accomodations. Eateries were within walking distance. The staff were the best. Friendly and courteous is synonomous with Hilton establishments. Thoroughly enjoyed the stay and encourage others to check out this location. Great proximity to Walter Reed, during rush hour traffic it took a total of about 8 minutes to get to WR. This was an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: Always check out the hotel reviews prior to booking a room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello Simone, I shared your feedback with our team of employees and they were all smiles. Your feedback is like fuel to our system (smile). Thank you for pointing out some of our key features; we believe that our proximity to the Metro, Shops, Trendy Restaurants like “Guapo’s” (one of my favorites), NIH and Walter Reed makes us one of the top choices for hotel accommodation in Bethesda. We also, recently introduced a Share small plate concept in our own restaurant, and I must tell you it’s already turning heads.
Boalsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed here 3 years ago and the service in the restaurant was VERY poor. This stay was much more pleasant. The bed was comfortable and the room was set up ideally (separate sink and mirror outside of bathroom). Didn't use the restaurant but a staff member went out of his way to get me a cup of coffee at the bar after the coffee counter had closed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hi Lynn, I am glad that your recent experience with us was pleasant. We have had a management change as of 2012 and have seen a remarkable spike in customer satisfaction. We have since invested quite a bit to improve our facilities; during your trip you might have noticed the new state of the art exercise equipment on the Pent House level in our fitness center, as well as our newly installed more robust wireless internet systems. Our new lobby Starbucks coffee bar and our Share small plate restaurant menu is also a popular choice
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed at the Doubletree due to walking distance to Walter Reed and the National Institute of Health. Room was comfortable with a great area to work from. They have a morning breakfast buffet in addition to ordering off the menu (cost for both). At night, they have a full bar and resturant. I had dinner and drinks there one night. Good food with typical prices for a hotel restaurant/bar. The pool is rooftop and outdoors; therefore, it is closed during the winter/cold weather. Great fitness room also on the top floor next to the pool. They only have valet parking and that was $22 a night. Overall, will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest, I wanted to say a big thank you for your kind feedback. I hope you really come back in the summer to enjoy the roof top pool you mentioned; I can tell you, there is no better view of Bethesda. When you get back to the area, don’t forget to check out the Bethesda shopping district blocks away from the hotel, it is a lot of fun. Also, we shuttle our guests to the Metro for easy/convenient access
Athens, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was surprised to find the room rates for this hotel were well below those for the american inn which is next door. However, paying $12/day for valet parking the prices even out and this hotel does not supply free breakfast. The rooms were larger and cleaner than the american inn. I had stayed at this hotel before for about twice the amount that I was charged during my last trip. I think the hotel rates are higher during the summer time. Breakfast buffet was good, but pricy for what you get. However, $17 for breakfast I think is the norm for large hotel chains. Air handling system was very noisy and if you put the temperature down during the winter, it does not shut off but instead starts blowing frigid air into the room.

Room Tip: Try and get the upgrade to the 12th floor for the deluxe rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Harring, I am pleased that you were able to find a bargain deal with us; I am also pleased to know that you think the hotel was worth a lot more than what you paid. We like to purposely load these lower rates sometimes, especially on the weekends to introduce our newly renovated hotel to guests coming to the area. We believe our hotel has great value, second to none in the Bethesda area
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable. The furnishings are nice and there was room for a king bed and a sitting area with two chairs. There was nothing particularly spectacular about my stay, but I had no complaints either. There are some shops and small restaurants within walking distance. There is a shuttle to NIH. I didn't eat there so I don't know how good the food is.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Hello FreqFlyMom, It seems you did not get a chance to take full advantage of our great amenities. We have some of the most spacious/beautiful suites you will find in the Bethesda area; you can request this upgrade for a small difference in price the next time you visit the area. You can also grab a hot cup of coffee, pastry, sandwich or salad to go from our lobby Starbucks coffee shop; or relax at our Share Wine Bar where you will discover a variety of tasty wine blends. Ask to speak to our restaurant manager who you will discover to be a knowledgeable wine connoisseur.

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!