“Great choice when visiting DC” 4 of 5 stars

Roof Top Poolside Package
Ranked #5 of 11 hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Latham, New York
“Great choice when visiting DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

This was a great choice for us while visiting DC for a long weekend. The rooms were clean and nicely updated. It is a little less than a mile walk to a metro station. The price was excellent for so close to the DC metro area. The breakfast buffet, a little pricey at $15, was good, but nothing special. Do not go for a tour of DC without breakfast, you will become grumpy fast. Excellent business center, 6 new computers and a fast laser printer. Free printing. Don't forget the great cookies at check-in. They did not allow us to check-in early either, we arrived around 11am, they checked our bags for us and off we went.

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Unaware that they had a metro station shuttle until our last day there.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family

496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

I booked 2 rooms at this property for a recent family getaway and am thoroughly disgusted with my experience.

I advised the Hotel that I would be arriving early after a trans-con redeye flight. I was told that checking in early would not be a problem. Well....

The "General Manager" (who, incidentally was not) told me that it was unheard of in the hotel industry to accomodate early check in. At nearly 11A, he told me that nobody had checked out, and that since the hotel was full the night previous, I would have to wait until 4p to check in. Irritated, I placed my belongings in my family member's room and set out.

At 3p, I returned to the hotel, deliriously tired. My "assigned" room was not ready, but I was sent to another. 15th floor - VERY high ceilings - ok, great. I crashed.

At 5:30p, I attempted to take a hot shower. It was luke warm, but I didn't think much of it. (Read: delirious)

That night, I tried to put belongings in the safe provided. Whoops - it wasn't bolted down, nor did it have power for the key pad. Picky details! I hid things and hoped for the best.

The next evening, I asked for a wake up call from a nap - foolish me, I expected it. Never happened. Then, I attempted to take a shower - but had no hot water. I reported this to the manager on duty - incidentially also the hotel's restaurant manager. I checked in with him when I returned to the property, and he reported that I had hot water. By the time I got to my room - tepid at best. A parade of people and suggestions came through - ultimately what we learned - "You need to let the water run for at least 5 mintues to warm up the pipes." Fascinating!

The next morning....hot shower. Without warming the pipes.

I wanted a Chai tea latte - there was a "serving Starbucks" sign in the lobby. So.....tried, they dont have it. No worries - how about a hot chocolate? Sure! For $3, you can have 2 packets of Nestle and some hot water. Noooo thanks. Most hotels would hand you Nestle packets gratis.

There was nothing great about this property - the parking attendants were slower than anything I've seen and didn't manage to understand that in the US, cars are ALWAYS driven on the RIGHT side of the road. The rooms were OK, but the renovations didn't apply to providing clean tile for the bathrooms. Oh, and...they provide free internet, but at 256K bps. Neat!

Great location - especially for NIH folks - but really misses the mark on some very important issues.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NE USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

The hotel is still ironing out some problems after finally finishing their renovations.

We had the strangest waiter in the restaurant for dinner. He was inattentive and clearly did not enjoy his job. The food was overpriced. Some was excellent and some was less than mediocre. Later that night half of us were really sick with vomitting and diarhea. (FYI they do not offer a kids menu at dinner, only breakfast and lunch. Bizarre.) Also they light four gazillion candles so it is REALLY HOT and uncomfortable.

The sleeping rooms have just been renovated and are beautiful. The conference area is very nice too.

This is not very close to the metro, so if you are vacationing and spending a lot of time in DC, you might want to stay some place closer to the metro like the Hyatt Bethesda or the Chevy Chase Embassy Suites.

If you get a good deal and are here on business you will probably enjoy yourself as long as you eat offsite. There are plenty of great restaurants within easy walking distance.

• Liked — The sleeping room decor
  • Disliked — The food in the restaurant
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

I stayed here while visiting DC as it was the closest hotel to DC for which I had enough Hilton points. I had a jr suite which provided lots of space. The hotel and room were clean and functional. The room furnishings were looking a bit tired, but there was nothing wrong with them.

There was construction going on in the garage, with made the lobby impossibly noisy during the day. The room was quite though.

HH gold members have access to the “pantry” room which provides a small selection of snacks and drinks. The snacks consisted of chips, M&Ms, chocolate bars, and cereal bars. There is a freezer with ice cream, popsicles, etc too. They also had pizza and burgers in the freezer, but they were really nasty. Unless you are desperate, go out for some food.

Breakfast was the usual selections of bread, fruit, eggs, etc.

The hotel provides an hourly shuttle to the nearby metro stations. It is also a walking distance.

I would stay here again in similar circumstances. As a tourist, it would have been nicer to be closer to DC though.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

I must say that our stay at the Doubletree hotel in Bethesda, MD was one of the best that we have had in quite some time.

My family and I like to frequent the DC area often and we choose a different area each time. This visit we decided to stay in Bethesda which is about a 20 minute trip by the Metro to Washington.

We won this hotel for $50 thru Priceline which is well below the hotel rate. They have it rated as a 3 star but in time I feel it could become a 4. With Priceline you tend not to find Doubletree hotels any higher than a 3 star but after further future reviews and the amenities it offers I feel it could change.

Upon arrival to the hotel you are greeted by the valet staff. As the previous review stated, they will explain to you their services and the price for parking each night. They were very friendly and that's important because they're the first ones from the hotel you see.

From there you enter the hotel and check in. Never once did they treat you as second best because of a Priceline win where as other hotels we've stayed at has. I requested a room with 2 beds and non-smoking and was granted both. And of course they give each member of the party that great cookie!

We then went to our room and was pleased with how big it was. It had a large desk with chair along with complementary internet. In the corner was a chair with stool to relax in and watch the flat screen Dell TV that sat in a nice entertainment center. Then of course there were the beds which were very comfortable. The bathroom was of nice size with a big sink and adjustable shower head.

As for what the hotel offers; It has a fitness facility on the top floor along with a rooftop pool (seasonal). Down in the lobby there's a Starbucks, a restaurant, a sushi bar and a wine bar. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner each day and the food was great!

Now for the area that impressed us the most, the staff. From top to bottom they were all the best! We were fortunate enough to meet the General Manager of the hotel by the name of Michael and what a great guy he was. It's easy to see why the staff is so good. They are all very people oriented and truly care how your stay is going.

When visiting this hotel you will definitely see a difference from others. It's becoming a trendy spot that will please all ages.
I feel in time you will get reviews explaining this further along with the new ideas taking place that will leave you impressed and in awe! Try it out.

In closing, I'm the most critical person when it comes to hotel stays and I know this sounds all to good but it really is. Great job to all at the Doubletree hotel in Bethesda!

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — No complaints!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2007

I travel fairly extensively thoughout the mid Atlantic region of the US for work, and booked the Doubletree Bethesda to be close to my work locations in McLean and downtown DC. The hotel is in downtown Bethesda, MD, and is surrounded by literally hundreds of mom & pop type restaurants within walking distance down streets that reminded me of an eclectic college town.

The hotel is almost completed with renovations, and the lobby was decked out in marble and mahogany trim. There was a full service Starbucks in the lobby, alongside the hotel restaurant, which served a decent breakfast buffet (free for Hilton Honors members).

My room was on the 10th floor and had a great view of the city - in fact, that is how I decided where I was going to walk for dinner. California Tortilla was just 1 block down the street, past many other street-side restaurants of all flavors. The room had been freshly remodelled, and was decorated in new urban simplicity, complete with a working desk and entertainment center with a Dell flat panel TV.

Wired high speed internet access was also available, with 500mbps speeds for $9.95 per night. The internet access at this hotel was actually fast - I don't encounter that too often.

The only place to park at the hotel is in the garage, directly beneath it, and upon pulling through the entrance for check-in, a valet will greet you and explain that the hotel only has valet parking (at $20 per day, plus tips). This was convenient, but I also have a nice expense account, and work doesn't harrass me about such expenses. I could see this as a potential negative for someone paying out of pocket that is looking for cheap or free parking - because it doesn't exist downtown where the hotel is located.

Overall, this was an excellent hotel for its service, decor, and proximity to DC, McLean, and Reagan National Airport (10 miles to either, approx 25 mins in DC traffic). I will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Hotel decor and proximity to so many great restaurants
  • Disliked — Nothing really...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Upstate New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

I think this will be a great place to stay in the future, but right now it's unethical that this hotel is operating. When I booked my 3-night stay, no one told me about the construction. Let me start by discussing the positives--the location is good, the staff was very friendly, and the rooms are quite comfortable. However, none of this really matters when you are woken at 7:00am by drilling and hammering or when the electricity is shut down for four hours or when the water is turned off for five hours. No kidding. Sure, the price is lower than other hotels in the area, but not low enough to make up for the lack of sleep and showering. Just be forewarned--or maybe ask for a super discount...

• Liked — the bed
  • Disliked — the noise
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!