“A little dirty and a little disorganized....” 3 of 5 stars

2015 - New Years Party!
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“A little dirty and a little disorganized....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

When we arrive at a hotel and enter our room the first thing we like to check for is bedbugs. In fact we had a discussion with the hotel night manager at check in about this issue because there was a recent alert on a bedbug database about a room on the 6th floor that had bed bugs (which the manager had no idea about and also disputed). When we arrived at our room we found evidence of a dead bug (I don't think it was a bed bug) on the mattress cover and immediately called the manager. When he arrived at our room we had a discussion about the hotel's protocol in dealing with these issues which included not renting the room and the rooms above/below/adjacent to it until the exterminator can examine. The room we were moved to showed no evidence of bedbugs and we accepted the room. A hotel can't control what guests take with them into the room it can only control how it deals with problems when they do arise. What is of some concern though is that our friends checked into the hotel a few hours after us and were given the room with the dead bug. Maybe the manager was confident it wasn't a bedbug but if I were the manager I wouldn't have rented the room until I had my exterminator take a look.

The Valet at the hotel is a complete disaster. They lost our ticket the first morning and therefore couldn't find our key. Not a big deal as I looked at all the keys and pointed ours out. We we returned to the hotel I told the valet that the previous valet lost our ticket so he gave us a handwritten ticket to match the previous lost ticket. When I presented the handwritten ticket the next valet still couldn't find my key because the handwritten number didn't match any of the keys. Not a big deal I just pointed out my keys again. The following morning we went to check out of the hotel at 7am and we were the only ones at valet. I handed in my ticket and the valet brought up my car but a second valet brought the car back to the garage because he didn't know the car was going out. When I asked where my car was the valet apologized and ran to get my car but the only problem was that he brought up the wrong car. After about 20 minutes they finally got it right.

Pros: Beds were comfy and the breakfast was decent though the buffet options were a little limited.

Next time I'll stay at the Hilton down the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeBethesda, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to help us improve our hotel and service to our guests, we take the feedback we receive very seriously. We greatly appreciate your understanding and realistic approach that we cannot control everything which is brought into our hotel rooms, but only how we deal with it. We apologize that you found a bug in your room and want you to be aware that we followed our proper protocols and immediately put this room out of order and contacted our pest control company. The company came out and inspected the room and found no evidence of any type of bug. Once we receive the report confirming that there were no pests were found, the room was placed back into available inventory.
We also would like to apologize for your Valet experience as this is not the norm. We never want our guests to be kept waiting and we appreciate your understanding with the situation.
Your feedback is well taken and we have shared this with our team so that we can improve our service to all of our guests. We hope that you will give us another chance on your next trip back to Bethesda so that we can exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed here for a convention over a weekend. Valet parking & hotel check-in were both swift & friendly. The room was spacious, very clean, and comfortable. The meeting facilities for the convention were more than adequate. There are a variety of restaurants, in terms of cuisine & price range, within walking distance.of the hotel. We stayed on an upper floor, and had no trouble getting an elevator resonably quickly (this can be an unexpected difficulty at some hotels).
Good luck if you need a consistent & reliable wi-fi connection in your room. Our room was centrally located along the hall and none of the three devices I had with me could keep a wi-fi connection; usually I couldn't even log on. Other hotels seem to have no trouble like this one does with wi-fi, but other than that I have no complaints about the accommodations or the service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Togi M, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us about your experience. Your comments are appreciated, as they help us focus on continuously improving our product and service. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay. We look forward to your return visit to this area and giving us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here for family wedding. Very convenient as reception was at this hotel. The food was surprisingly good (I did not really have high expectations though)- both room service and downstairs dining. We had a junior suite and our family of four stayed comfortably. Downside is valet parking seems expensive for this part of town and we ended up waiting 30 minutes for our car to be retrieved (!) & almost made us late for wedding so plan ahead on this-- poor design of parking garage/drop off that has been mentioned in previous posts. I think on weekends can save money by parking near hotel (need to put money in meter until 10 pm)-- we didn't get a chance to do this option.

Basically, clean and good value for a hotel.

Room Tip: junior suite fairly spacious and can save some $ compared to regular suite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Although you have highlighted some positive aspects of your recent stay with us, we do appreciate the details of your concerns, so we can address and correct the deficiencies. Thank you again for taking valuable time to share your comments.
sjc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We got great pricing via price line. Actually better than the hotel would give us! The staff n day one was curtious and seemed helpful. Did do what I thought they said they would. Day 2 staff in corporate roundabout way told me I was on my own. We also were out for about 2 hours , came back and found our room, half done and no cart in sight! They took the tip, piled the towels by the door and were gone. Room is clean and nice. Sometimes when we get a great deal on price line we get the room with no view next to the bar, ice machine or elevator, that did not happen so they got n extra star for that. For our rate I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
Togi M, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. It is disappointing to read that not only were your expectations not met, but that you felt we did not live up to the high standards guests have come to expect from us. Feedback from our guests is always welcome and we would like to thank you for sharing. We do appreciate the details of your concerns, so we can address and correct the deficiencies.
We remain focused on guest satisfaction and take all guest comments as guidance on what we can improve. Thank you again for taking valuable time to share your comments.
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed here for three nights during our semi-annual advisory meeting at work.

We usually hold this meeting in Silver Spring, so I had never been to Bethesda. There are a plethora of restaurants within walking distance from the hotel, including Thai, Japanese, Parsian (kabob bazaar - so good!), and American. I would have a longer list if our stay had been longer. There's also bikram yoga a block away, and an army navy surplus store.

The meeting room was spacious; comfortably fitting all 45 council members and another 40 people in the audience. The hotel coordinators were very attentive and courteous, accommodating our every request promptly. We did not order food service, but coffee and a buffet of snacks was available in the hall for $20 per person per day. There's also a cafe in the lobby downstairs, but its hours didn't run to the end of the work day (5pm). Consider bringing bottles of water for your attendees if you're planning an event like this.

The room itself was comparable to Courtyard Marriott's style and cleanliness - mine had two double beds, a desk, and a flat-screen TV (42"?). The soaps were quality - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and lotion by Citron. The bar soap was double the size of what I'm used to - more of a bar than a slip, which was nice. The coffee maker was Wolfgang Puck, used 2 cotton pods (of which you could brew one or both), and poured into to-go cups with lids and cardboard sleeves. Actual creamers (mini-moos and the like) were available and refreshed every day. There were two bins in each room - one for recycling and another for trash. There was wireless internet, but only one out of two nights did it work well enough for me to video chat with my loved one. Perhaps it was the room's proximity to the router (I was in a corner room).

I don't remember seeing a gym, but there was a bar downstairs. There was also a hot breakfast buffet included in the cost of the room (make sure you ask for your coupons when you check in!).

The staff was very friendly. Polite greetings everywhere I turned, and very courteous throughout my stay. Did I mention they give you a warm cookie upon arrival?

My only complaint was that there is no refrigerator in the room. I usually buy snacks and bring leftovers back from restaurants to save money while I'm on these trips, but was disappointed to find, on my first night, that there is nowhere to store them. While it's my only complaint, it actually inconvenienced me enough to take points away.

Room Tip: Ask the staff about WiFi proximity. Some rooms may get better reception than others.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your valuable feedback and helpful insight. We strive to exceed guest expectations by learning from the experiences you share with us. We look forward to your return visit in the future and allowing us to make us your home away from home. Again many thanks for letting us know of your experience.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times over many years, including when it has had different names--always because it was the venue for a government-sponsored meeting. It is, most of the time, a perfectly reasonable hotel, particularly by the standards of the other hotels on Wisconsin adjacent to the NIH and Bethesda Naval Hospital. It does not in any way meet the standards of the sort of modern hotel a business traveler would expect in an otherwise competitive environment. For my most recent meeting, I made an initial mistake of booking it for one week earlier than the scheduled date before catching my error. To my amazement, the specially discounted "government rate" for the meeting was more than twice the rate charged ordinary visitors. (Somebody is getting away with something and I imagine this might explain why all the hotels on the Wisconsin strip are so dismal.) As far as the hotel and its rooms go, expect a hotel that met travel standards about 20 or 30 years ago. The elevators are small and insufficient in number to handle the morning rush or the crowd that needs to stop at their room during meeting breaks. The decor and furniture definitely are in need of a refresh. The snacks provided by the hotel represented an unusual selection of stale food, including ice cream sandwiches for breakfast, pound cake too dry to swallow, and salami sliced into rectangular strips, perhaps in an evidently unsuccessful attempt to cut around brown spots. Most of the square footage of the rooms is consumed by a long and dimly lit entryway. The bathrooms are not much bigger than the arc of the door. You cannot sit on the toilet and keep the door open, nor can you enter the bathtub without closing the bathroom door. The pillows are uncomfortable and there is no selection of a feather pillow. The desk chair was permanently collapsed into its lowest position, making the desk unusable. The windows are somewhat small and confined to a corner. The air conditioner tended to run continuously, keeping the room too cold no matter how high the thermostat was set. (I stayed her once in the winter, during a snow storm, and the room heater was not working, could not be fixed, nor was there another room available, nor was an offer made to relocate me to another hotel. During that visit, I heated my room with the hairdryer. It took several hours to get it habitable, but what else could I do?) WiFi in the rooms was somewhat intermittent. The hallways generate a lot of noise. Unless you are here for a government meeting and have no choice in the matter, the only reason why you would want to stay here is if you needed to be within walking distance of the immediate neighborhood.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed overnight to celebrate the wedding of our friends. The location was convenient, just a short walk from the Metro station. The room was nice and clean. The king size bed was good, but not as firm as I'm used to sleeping on. Finally the free, just baked cookies given out to guests at the front desk were a wonderful surprise! Overall, we had a fine experience staying there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Togi M, Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Our team takes pride in exceeding guest expectations and is dedicated to insuring our guests' comfort. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to your return. Thank you again for your comments.

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!