“Great ocation for NIH/Military Hospital...good valueand definitely earns its high rating” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Hotel Bethesda

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

This hotel is clean and the staff is helpful and friendly. They offer substantial AAA discounts which make the price very attractive for the area. The room air conditioning is noisy and the ventilation in the bathroom was poor. There was no exhaust vent/fan and the distance from the room air conditioner made it very warm and steamy inthe hot August weather.
There is an hourly shuttle to the NIH (ask for schedule at front desk) but it is a safe and easy walk if you are reasonably fit and the weather is nice. Parking at both the hotel and NIH for visitors is expensive. Together, they will run close to 30 dollars per day so walking or using the shuttle to NIH will save you a lot. As I said, the walk can be pleasant and safe. For trips to the Capitol and other sites, the nearest metro station is Medical Center, which is on the RED LINE and located at the visitors entrance to NIH. However, there are bus stops just a few steps from the hotel. On weekends and evenings, the Metro from DCA Reagan National Airport is only 3 dollars each way (in contrast to about $50 taxi fare each way). You take any train at the airport that is headed downtown and depending on which one you take, transfer to the Red Line at either Metro Center or Gallery Place. Take the Red Line train heading towards Shady Grove and get off at Medical Center. Taxis are available at the Medical Center Metro stop if you feel you have too much luggage for the walk to the hotel. The hotel restaurant is good but there are several other good options nearby, including a pizza takeout, Chinese takeout, Sushi Restaurant, and a very Thai place (Sala Thai). The rooftop pool is nice and there seems to be a lifeguard on duty most of the time (in August). They have a great pool party on Sundays during July. I would definitely consider staying here again on future trips to the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

I have stayed in many hotels in the Bethesda area and this one was best by far. The beds and linen were perfect and with a sleep comfort on par with the best hotels I have been at. The breakfast buffet was surprisingly good and the staff were very friendly. The hotel exceeded my expectations and this will be my hotel of choice in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I have good experience with Doubletree and needed a reasonably priced hote in Washington DC.
The hotel hade recently been renovated and did not disappoint. All proper and good. The breakfast stands out and is really excellent; try having a mixed omelet made :)
The hotel is decorated in a dark style and the rooms are actually a tad too dark for my taske. Location in Bethesda is very convenient, with a short walk to the underground and various shopping areas.
Airports transportation was available, but pretty much against the going taxi rate. Good if you are more than one.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Came to Bethesda for a long work project from November 2010 through April 2011. Stayed one week here at the DoubleTree, 4 weeks at the Residence Inn, and the rest of the weeks I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn.

This DoubleTree is old and dated compared to the other two facilities. It's a good walk from the Metro, whereas the other two are much closer. Hallways are narrow with low ceilings. Bathrooms are small. You can tell the building is dated and needs some help because close to the window, the floor definitely wasn't level, it was sloping down.

One irritation is the exercise room isn't open 24 hours as would be expected. For some reason, they lock the elevator. This isn't good for us travelogues who exercise at all hours of the night. Definitely puts a crimp on the schedule.

Staff is very pleasant and nice.

Overall, I'd go with the other two (the Residence Inn or the Hilton Garden inn) over this hotel. They're both newer, updated, and closer to the Metro.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your comments suggest that you have not been to the property since your first week in November 2010, however we did complete a 5.5 million renovations over a 4-month period ending April 2011 and you should see it. We have added a new lobby, a new coffee bar with all your Starbucks favorites, we replaced all our hallway carpet, vinyl, tile and even the lighting. Every one of our guestrooms has new dressers, new 42" flat panel Televisions, new desk chairs and a fully remodeled bathroom. As for the Metro, our Bethesda circulator stops behind the hotel every 10-12 minutes and saves you the 4 block walk to the station. I look forward to your return to Bethesda so you can enjoy the new look and comfort of the hotel and take advantage of Bethesda's guest-friendly easy access options. Thanks again for your feedback
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I brought our two young children here so we could easily hop onto the Metro to visit Washington DC. We stayed in one of their hypoalergenic rooms, and were pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness and comfort of the room. Our view, unfortunately, was of the air conditioning units, but there isn't much of a view anyway. When we pulled up to the hotel, were were taken aback by the exterior, as it certainly could use an update. Luckily, when you step inside, you are in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. I was not too impressed by the in-house restaurant, but we did manage to find some great restaurants nearby. Overall, a pleasant experience. And...don't forget to try the warm chocolate chip cookies!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

From check in to check out my experience was over the top. Everyone at the front desk, each F&B Outlet, and the room attendants that I came in touch with were extremely friendly. I finally figured out why when I met Selim Soliman, GM on the elevator on the 2nd day of my 3 day stay. It's fantastic when you meet a GM who understands the basic rules of Hospitaltiy. It was clearly reflected in all who work at this hotel. This was my first time at this hotel and all the amenities were great. The fitness area was extremely clean and had a very nice view of Bethesda from the top floor. By the way, this hotel sits within walking distance of anything you want to see in downtown and some of the surrounding neighborhoods (shopping, arts, restaurants, and cafe's). I will stay at this hotel again the next time I''m even remotely near Bethesda.

Room Tip: Pretty simple. Ask at the time of checkin. If they have occupancy and you're nice they just mi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Austin,TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Doubletree Bethesda - Love you. Love the fact that you treated me like a welcomed guest, gave me some extra perks as a diamond member, the rooftop pool, great workout room, convenience of valet parking, friendliness of staff we're all fantastic.

But your A/C. We gotta talk. It's not me, it's you. When it rained (albeit hard and may have been hail?) the night we were there, it was like marbles being rolled down a sheet metal roof and the A/C groaned and grumbled all night. I couldn't sleep, thus violating the #1 rule that we all need from a hotel - a good night's sleep. When I find out that you've revamped your AC, it will be my #1 choice for DC and heck without the rain, it might have been OK.

Keep doing what you're doing, fix the AC and I think you'll be the #1 hotel in the area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. We do strive for perfection with every guest and when we fall short, we immediately address any issue on a hotel wide scale with the entire management team. I am also fortunate to be surrounded by a dedicated friendly and responsive staff to address guest requests upon demand. Rain or shine however, our travelers do expect a comfortable stay and a quiet sleep experience. Please rest assured this is not he norm for our property and we are focused on the matter. Pleas let me know upon planning your next rip back so I can insure your accomodations exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your time to write and for choosing our property for your accomodations.

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!