“Nice hotel but we wouldn't recommend or repeat.” 3 of 5 stars

2015 - New Years Party!
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hartford, Connecticut
“Nice hotel but we wouldn't recommend or repeat.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

We chose this hotel as a "convenient" place to stay while we were visiting Washington DC. It was located near a Metro stop and provided a free shuttle service to the stop. Unfortunately, during our stay, the Metro stop escalator was being repaired and was basically unusable unless you didn't mind a 6-7 story staircase.
The hotel itself was clean and the rooms well-appointed but we found the service to be knowledgeable but not particularly friendly. Almost stuffy even.
The "valet" staff especially had their own little financial thing going that was annoying. When we asked them the first morning for a taxi; they said none were available but they just happened to have a friend who had a car to take us.. the friend charged $40. We found our own taxi and the fare to downtown DC was $17.
Overall; nice hotel, clean, comfortable but not at all convenient to much of anything. Next time we'll just forego the Metro idea and just stay in downtown DC. By the time you add the cost of the Metro, the tips, the taxis, etc... the DC hotels would have been cheaper and definitely easier.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Dear Bill,
thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I regret that your experience did not meet your expectations, despite your satisfaction with the hotel's facility and cleanliness. It is unfortunate that the metro escalator was under repair, as this would have saved you the additional expense for a private limo service, which is typically more than the cost of a cab. It would have also saved you a great deal of time, as DC is only one stop beyond Bethesda. Although our valet staff has relationships with several car services in the area, I believe they were trying to accomodate your needs in a timely manner, not necessarily seeking to profit from assisting you as a guest of the hotel. In any event your impressions are not of the norm for our serviceor location and I hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust. Please contact my office upon your intent to return to our great city, so I can insure your expectations are exceeded. Thank you again for your valuable time once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

My Family and I recently stayed at the Double Tree hotel. Our stay was fantastic. Right from Front Desk, Restaurant and Housekeeping, staff was friendly and very caring. All staff went great lengths to make sure that my little kids (ages 4 and 5) were comfortable. The warm and friendly hospitality we received along with the lovely décor gives the hotel truly a resort like feel. Additionally, shops, variety of restaurants and the Metro station were at a walking distance, making the hotel a convenient location. We had a relaxing stay and hope to visit the hotel in the future. Thank you so much.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

This was the second time we stayed at this hotel. The first time was for a wedding and this was for my birthday. The hotel is very consistent. The service is good and the staff is attentive. The location is just right for walking around Bethesda.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

Dear Doubletree,

Last week, my company paid you an ungodly sum of money for us to stay for a few days. You asked for my debit card for "incidentals", I said fine.

Then you charged a higher ungodly sum of money to my debit card...as well as that of my coworker and my company. Your charge was so high, it bounced my rent check.

Your charge was so high, you froze my account while I was leaving for Europe right after. I was standing in the middle of the English countryside checking into my hotel and found my room unbooked because you got my card declined. My card was declined at restaurants, hotels, shops. You almost forced a cancellation on every single leg of my trip.

You forced me to cancel my plans to Amsterdam in order to make an emergency deposit of my cash in hand at 6 am at the airport in order to ensure my bills are paid.

When I called you (On a layover in Texas no less), you referred me to a manager who never called me back. It took involving my boss multiple phone calls to get the charge reversed, which was an embarassment to myself and to your institution.

You ruined my plans, my bank account and my stay. I hope no corporate entities will ever book a stay in your hotel again. Doubletree will attempt to make multiple charges on everyone's account and ruin their stay.

I wish there was an option for no stars.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Thank you for your comments. I do regret the challenges you faced as a result of this Debit Card transaction. Unfortunately DC restrictions are different from traditional credit cards, hence the signage at our guest registration desk. The Priceline reservation made by your company was never prepaid. This forced the use of your own debit card a check-in. Once your company corrected this error and provided a corporate card, we adjusted the charges immediately. Yet funds are not always released in a timely manner by the bank. I regret this incident and wish to thank you again for your understanding and for taking the time to share this feedback.
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We have stayed here several times and are always pleased with the hotel. The rooms are clean, breakfast is nice, and the overall service and value is excellent. Also a good location for getting into DC.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience. Most hotel guests do not take the time to share their comments, so we are greatful for your feedback. We do appreciate your patronage and look forward to your future returns, so we can have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Severna Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

“Great place”- stayed there with my husband for his company’s retreat and we got the royal treatment. Staff was outstanding, the cookies were fattening but too good to avoid. So much to do in the area.. I am coming back with just the girls for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Coupled with our recent remodel and great staff we are fortunate to also be in such a great location with over 100 shops, restaurants and entertainment venues in walking distance. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to your return visit with your guests so we can the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I am 2 nights into a 5 night business stay but I will be shortly investigating a shift to another hotel from myself and staff for the remainder of our stay.

The Bad;
1. Construction/ renovations are currently underway between 09:00 and 15:30. I am using this hotel as a base for meetings and short of yelling to each other I was unable to verbally communicate with someone at my restaurant table at 09:30 this morning. Construction/ jack hammering noise and vibration is also quite in the rooms.

2. As I type I can see several large items of food left sitting under the in room AC unit by a previous guest.

3. I have encountered 3 vending floor vending machines that do not work and at least one (mine) that does not have one at all.

The Good;
1. Service staff encountered are friendly.

2. Hotel is well positioned to local restaurants and the Metro.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I regret the experience you recently had at our hotel and wish to apologize for the inconvenience. We are in the final weeks of our hotel upgrades and although our attempt at scheduling the work during a time when most guests are away from the property, we failed to protect you and your guests. I wish to invite you back to see the New Doubletree By Hilton, as we wrap up our enhancements by February 22nd. Please contact my office directly for an update on all our improvements, should your travels bring you back to the area in the near future.

Been to Doubletree Hotel Bethesda? Share your experiences!