“Excellence property.....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Nashville, Tennessee
“Excellence property.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I don't normally stay here when I visit Bethesda, but did this time. Nice property and easy to access with entrances on multiple streets. The rooms were what you expect, small suite, nicely appointed and clean.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Marriotts are generaly a safe bet, and we were very pleased with our recent overnight at the Bethesda Marriott Suites. The suite was spotlessly clean (very important to me!). We found the bed and room to be extremely comfortable. If sharing the room with another couple, I could see that privacy might be an issue. The bath room is divided into two separate areas - the toilet/ bath/shower area and a separate sink area. One door separates the toilet/ bath area from the living area and a sliding door separates it from the sink area. However, there is no door separating the sink area from the master bedroom, which I found to be a bit odd. However, the room rate was so good (we paid $109), I'm not sure you would want to share a room with another couple - and if staying wtih your family, it shouldn't pose a problem at all. The best part of our stay was the friendly staff, particulalry the restaurant staff. We were a party of 14 and checked in rather late and were very hungry! The restaurant staff was sooo accomodating. Even though close to their closing time, they moved tables together and were very courteous and helpful getting our late dinners out. We ordered items from sandwiches to entrees and everything in between. Food was excellent and prices, while not inexpensive, were average for a big metro area like DC. Agree that this hotel is a bit isolated. There are other hotels in the area if you are looking to spend time in DC proper (but also at a higher rate, I'm sure), but if like us, you are just passing through, I would definitely recommend. The hotel is just off the feeder road between I-270 and the Beltway. And PS -- kindness begets kindness. Like the last reviewer said, people tend to respond to how you treat them. We found the staff to be very nice - and probably the nicest part of our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Marriott Bethesda is close to Marriott's world HQ so you'd expect the hotel to be on its best behaviour. What was unexpected was the superlative service. Nothing was too much for them. Example: my wife and I arrive late after a flight from California, one hour after the kitchen and room service closed. But the duty manager - Berta Orellana - rushed over to the kitchen and got them to re-open to get us a couple of club sandwiches. My wife wanted an appointment with a hairdresser - no problem, call made to nearby mall and booked.
The hotel itself? suites are smallish but reasonably appointed, LCD TV in bedroom but CRT in the living room. Spotlessly clean. Nice bar and restaurant, breakfast OK, parking a cinch next door connected by walkway, location excellent.
Overall a great 4 nights but I would be saying "OK" instead of "Fabulous" had it not been for the Marriott people who made our stay memorable.
As an afterthought, I've read some of the other reviews but I always say people respond to how you treat them, right? ;-)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with my son for a quick trip to DC. I liked the layout of the room and the room was very clean, but the bed was horrible. It squeaked every time you moved and the mattress was very hard and uncomfortable. The staff was accommodating and allowed us to switch rooms on the 2nd night. While the 2nd room had a quieter bed, it wasn't any more comfortable. I woke up with a back ache both mornings.

We took advantage of the free shuttle to the Metro, which was nice, but if I were to go to DC again, I would stay closer. By the time you factor travel to the Metro and train ride time, it took us almost an hour to get to DC.

We did eat at the restaurant for dinner. The food was very good, but was way overpriced. Service was good. No free breakfast was a down side. We ended up buying cereal and eating in the room.

I was surprised at the cost of parking and the charge for internet usage. We opted to use the computer in the lobby for the limited amount that we needed the internet.

Overall, I would say our stay met our needs, but was nothing to brag about.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 1004. The bed is loud and uncomfortable!
Cortlandt Manor, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

Stayed here for a family event. We were with our kids, and it was the only suite hotel available in the area. We usually stay at Embassy or Homewood Suites. both were booked. Hotel is in a corporate Park, very isolated from everything. The staff offered no advice or recommendations about anything in the area. Nor were there any written materials. Lobby was very nice, as was the pool and workout area. The rooms were very unusual. Although it was a suite, with a separate living area, the door connecting the 2 was glass and had a very thin curtain. NO PRIVACY!!! The bathroom had separate doors from both rooms, was it was a very strange layout, making it challenging for 2 people to use it in privacy. The light switches were not well thought out. Breakfast was good; we had the 2 for breakfast plan, and were told we would have free breakfast for the kids. The staff at check in said kids had to be under 12. Ours were just over. The cost was 17.50 each, which we thought was high for that type of hotel also the coffee was 7 totally outrageous for that type of hotel. Also of note, public restrooms were in poor shape,both mechanical and sanitary. Rooms do not have a microwave.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have stayed at quite a few Marriotts in my time, mainly for business, and I generally like the chain. I was told that this particular hotel is in some ways a flagship, since it is located at Marriott's headquarters complex. It is a fairly typical cookie cutter Marriott, but the rooms are extra spacious, consisting of a good size living room, with a small wet bar, which is separated from the bedroom by French doors.My room did not have a mini-fridge mentioned in other review. The room was clean and everything worked. Somehow, however, it looked tired. Maybe it was the color scheme - yellows and beiges with red here and there. It seemed to lack the crisp fresh atmosphere characteristic of modern hotel rooms. The bed was, as usual for Marriott, very comfortable. There was only wired internet, curious for a business hotel these days. The same rather tired feeling applied to the rest of the hotel. There was nothing really specific, just a general feeling that it needed a breath of fresh air. This was not true of the staff, who were all very friendly, helpful and energetic. The food was average and lacked some of the visual appeal that I have seen at other hotels in this chain. I would go back, but it would be nice to see the owners bring this particular hotel up to the standard of the best in their chain.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

We got a good weekend deal, with free breakfast. The buffet breakfast food was mediocre, but the service staff were wonderful. The suite was very comfortable, with a king bed and pull-out couch and 2 TVs. The couch was unexpectedly firm and comfortable. Room was very clean and it has a mini-fridge. (A microwave would have been a plus.)
Our kids like swimming so we went to the pool. The indoor pool was very small; so if there were more than 2 families there, it felt crowded. We tried using the outdoor pool, but the water was REALLY cold. It would be nice if it's heated.
There is nothing within walkable distance, but the Westfield Montgomery Mall is only 2 turns away. There are also a few strip-mall with restaurants around. DC and the Zoo were only 20 mins drive away. We enjoyed our stay.
It's relatively quiet and very comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Bethesda Marriott Suites? Share your experiences!