“great value near NIH and Walter Reed” 4 of 5 stars

American Inn of Bethesda
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8130 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda, MD 20814   |
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Elkton, Maryland
“great value near NIH and Walter Reed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

This little inn is not grand or elegant but it is clean, quiet, secure and comfortable. The breakfast is very good and is served in a cozy little nook that gets plenty of light. Parking is a little bit tight but the limited number of spaces are all extremely convenient to the lobby. The outstanding feature is the staff. Sam, in particular, was exceptionally gracious and helpful. I strongly recommend this property as a good value very close to the NIH and Walter Reed Medical Center.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to talk about your experience with us on Trip Advisor. I'm glad to hear that our staff, service and accommodations exceeded your expectations. We hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Syracuse, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

American Inn is about a half mile south of the NIH, very convenient for folks visiting the hospital there. The physical plant is 3-4 stars, nice basic clean place. The STAFF however, bumps it up to a solid 5 star. These people are incredibly nice and helpful. They understand the drill at NIH and will help you sort it all out. We lost a tremendously emotionally valuable object there when we were leaving, and the staff found it, secured it, and got it back to us ( BIG SHOUTOUT to ADELINE ! ! ! Thanks a bunch ! ! ! ). Really first rate people. The hotel is a 10 min walk South of the Medical Center metro stop on the Red LIne (no problem getting to eg Union Station near the Capitol). Convenience store across the street, 5 min walk to many good restos that do takeaway. Solid, solid place. We unreservedly recommend American Inn and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. It's good to hear that our efforts to deliver memorable service and quality amenities at a good value have succeeded. We hope that you will choose our hotel again in the future.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My family had our family reunion at the hotel and the overall experience was wonderful. The staff was excellent from the time we checked in till we checked out. The parking garage was being worked on so they took care of all of our parking fees during the weekend. The breakfast was excellent. The staff was wonderful, friendly. The rooms were clean and spacious. I highly recommend the American Inn of Bethesda. Thank you Cynthia, Darrell, Dipshan and everyone else for helping us have a successful reunion... Gina

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We really enjoyed hosting you and your family at our hotel. I'm glad to hear that our service and accommodations met and exceeded your expectations. I hope that you will chose us again for your next reunion. We appreciate your business.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

We chose the hotel for its location, which was great for doing what we needed to do. We appreciated being able to park for free and have breakfast on site. Our room was small but had everything we needed and was clean. What made the stay memorable, however, was the friendly, helpful service that Sam and Dipshan, managers, provided. They were outstanding!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for your feedback on our service and accommodations. I'm happy to hear that our staff created a memorable experience for you at the American Inn. We hope that you will choose us again during your next visit to Bethesda.
Dana point
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Paying $100 a night, I had modest expectations for my stay here. A clean room, competent housekeeping, and basic safety would have been enough.

None of those expectations were met. Within my first few days, I found mice running around the room. I had to buy and set up my own mousetraps . If this place isn't in violation of health and safety regulations, I don't know what is.

I then learned that my door would not lock when I left the room. The front desk failed to follow up on the matter, so I asked to speak with the manager. The manager was rude and aggressive, despite my explanation that I planned to spend another month in the hotel.

Though you may save some extra coin here, it's not worth the headache. You will have no peace of mind when you find rodents in your room, an unlocked door, and a lingering smell of cigarettes in a "smoke free" room. Hair in your "fresh" towels is a regular occurrence, free of charge; compliments of the housekeeping staff.

Stayed July 2014
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
I'm sorry to hear that your stay went so miserably, especially since you were here with us for such a long time. I am disappointed that, despite our efforts, we were still unable to resolve the challenges you reported to your complete satisfaction. We are committed to providing a safe and comfortable experience to every guest, which is why it is so frustrating to hear that we were not able to create that type of experience for you. As you are probably aware, we had our pest control vendor to seal gaps that existed near the newly installed AC unit that faces the street where we suspected the mouse was able to enter. To my knowledge, we reimbursed you for the mouse traps you purchased and also provided you with other compensation to help offset your time and frustration you experienced with this incident. In addition, we repaired the problem with the door lock as soon as possible after we were notified. Finally, I'm not sure exactly who you spoke to regarding these issues. However, I sincerely apologize if they came across as being rude and aggressive. Obviously, given the challenges you experienced, a bit of compassion and empathy would have been a good start in addressing the problems. I will be using your experience as a training tool with our staff to underscore the importance of follow up and being responsive to our guest's needs. If there is anything I can do to help make this situation better, please feel free to contact me at the hotel. I hope that, despite your negative experiences, you will give us another opportunity in the near future to exceed your expectations.
New Canaan, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I was literally blown away with the service, kindness and professionalism that was shown by Manager on duty Sam. In a difficult situation he was really helpful and went above and beyond to accommodate me ending my trip in most positive way
In addition, he secured a complimentary shuttle service, much needed by me from Will, who was also so very kind and courteous.
Great service!!

Room Tip: All rooms were good as far as I could tell. I wanted a top floor for quiet but was amazed at how wel...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
I'm happy to hear that our staff was responsive to your needs and expectations. We hope that you will choose our hotel again for your next visit to Bethesda.
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Except the price... you get what you pay for.

1) Smallest room I've ever seen. You could barely make you're way around. Like a closet
2) Terrible service. Housekeeping never showed up, request for towels ignored.
3) Only few (and very tight) parking spaces. Buffet breakfast was not edible

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry to hear that we fell short of your expectations during your last stay. I understand how frustrating it can be when things don't go as well as you expect. Although some of our rooms are more cozy than others, we make every effort to honor the specific requests for room types and sizes. It's also disappointing to hear about your challenges with housekeeping. The behavior you describe is extremely out of character for our staff. I will use your comments as a training tool to ensure that we are responding to our guest requests in a timely manner. I know these things do not change most recent experience with us. However, I have heard your observations and we will take steps to improve how we respond to our guests. Thanks for your business and I hope to will try us again in the near future.

Been to American Inn of Bethesda? Share your experiences!