“Great Concept. Great Opportunity To Try Something New.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #128 of 299 Restaurants in Bethesda
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great Concept. Great Opportunity To Try Something New.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I've been aware of Korean style fried chicken for a while. I've had the opportunity to try it on several occasions and found it very good. This place takes many traditional Korean favorites and puts an American spin on the presentation and flavor profiles. Overall, we enjoyed this place. I was there with my wife, but we saw many families with young kids. Service was fast and friendly. Yes, this place is new and still getting it's sea legs but I would go back. Try the Soju shots; I went with the Yogurt flavor (most popular) Stateside & in Korea. But beware, this stuff will hit you with a latent strong buzz before you realize you might have had too much. I was specifically interested in the "KFC" (Korean Fried Chicken), but instead of the entree, upon the recommendation of our friendly and informative server, Greg, I went with a small appetizer serving of wings and small appetizer serving of legs. Since genuine KFC is always cooked fresh to order, it can take some time for your food to arrive (particularly breast pieces ; going with the appetizer versions means less wait. You can order the chicken with either a brush of hot & spicy and soy garlic sauces. I ordered a mix. The hot & spicy was not that spicy and I preferred the soy garlic. The chicken came pipping hot and served with a traditional side of pickled daikon radish (delicious) and a small mound of slaw. My wife ordered BIBIMBAP, a spicy bowl of warm white rice topped with sauteed vegetables & fresh greens,bulgogi & a fried egg; spicy chili pepper paste served on the side. It was a large serving and she enjoyed it very much. We also ordered steamed dumplings for an appetizer. These were the familiar "Pot Stickers" and I found them some of the best I'd ever had, with soft, supple exteriors (not hard and gummy) and fluffy, fresh tasting interiors of cabbage and meat. At least to me, they seemed very fresh and homemade, not frozen. Overall very good. But for a more traditional, rustic "KFC" experience, I would highly recommend Myoung Dong in Beltsville (11114 Baltimore Ave, Beltsville, MD 20705). This is probably for the more adventurous because it's hidden away in a little strip mall off Route 1 and could be scary to some. But if you really want to try an authentic "Un-Americanized" Korean experience, try Myoung Dong.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Maryland
“Nice concept but average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Nine of us tried this restaurant a few days after it's soft opening (two families of 4 adults and 5 kids between the ages of 7-14). We sat in the outdoor area. The wait staff, though unorganized, was very friendly. The problems we encountered were: Our entrees came out before the appetizers. They forgot a couple of items - which they did correct. As for the food, the fried chicken, the dumplings and the chicken teriyaki was excellent. However, the other food, the bulgogi and the fried chicken cutlets were below average. For the quality of the food, the prices were a bit high ($20-25 per person). There was a mistake on the bill - which was corrected immediately once it was brought to their attention. In their defense, it was right after they opened and they did attempt to make it up to us by offering free ice cream. i think this restaurant has a lot of potential once they work the kinks out. I would go back for the fried chicken but probably not for the entrees.

• Visited May 2014