“What A Pleasant Delight...” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Vieux Logis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 303 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Auburn Ave.
Transit: Bethesda Metro Station (Red)
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“What A Pleasant Delight...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Last night, despite the cold weather, we wanted to treat ourselves to a very good restaurant. My neighbor has been renovating her kitchen for one month now and it was finally finished. What better way to celebrate than eat in a restaurant she has always been curious when she drove by.

The minute we entered the restaurant, we were greeted warmly by the host. She asked someone to take our coats and given a number to retrieve it. Nice touch! How many restaurants still does this? Then she asked if we had reservations and we said "None." She just smiled and said "Don't worry." And she ushered us to a corner table and bread with butter was quickly placed on our table. Hmmm. I am really liking the service here. We looked around and felt that we got transported to France in some country inn. The name of the restaurant is very appropriate. No wonder they claim to be the best romantic restaurant in Bethesda. Feast your eyes on the decor and imagine what dinner would be like on Valentine's Day. The server came and told us the specials for the night and suggested splitting the salad between us. What a great suggestion. French always think in small portions! Thumbs up, like very much.

The salad portion was just right for both of us. It had avocado, thinly sliced jicama, nuts, pomegranate seeds, very fresh lettuce and some light dressing. It was refreshing. It sorts of whet your appetite for what is coming next...our 3 pieces of steak with 3 kinds of French dressing. Medium rare please? It came just the way we like our steak. It melted in your mouth! The buttersquash combination was perfect. Not the usual mashed potatoes you get in American restaurants. For dessert, we got the apple tart with ice cream and raspberry drippings. What a perfect way to end your meal.

Some reviews thought the food here is pricey. But when you consider the quality of the food and service, it's reasonable to me. Try eating this same food in Europe and this price will instantly pale in comparison. So I still consider myself lucky to have this in Bethesda, right in my neighborhood.

So go ahead and splurge. Give yourself a treat, a reward, a pat in the back. Any excuse to come and eat in this very fine restaurant. If you worked so hard, you should eat well!

And when you do, think of us and the review we gave here. Bon appetit!

• Visited February 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Felt like I was back in Paris!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've been to Le Vieux Logis many times and it never disappoints! They definitely have the best escargot in town. I had the duck and it was fantastic. The food prices are not that bad for what you get. I see some reviewers leaving feedback saying how expensive it is, but they truly don't understand French food. The quality is great so expect to paying for that! The decor is nice as well. I really felt like I was in eating at a restaurant in Paris. Overall, great atmosphere and great food. I will definitely go back!.

• Visited January 2013
maryland
“20-30% More Expensive than necessary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I, and another couple, had a nice meal at Le Vieux Logis recently. The food and service were both very good. The bill including tax and 20% tip came out to about $140 per couple. Between the four of us we split 2 appetizers and did not have dessert. And we each had a glass of wine or a bottle of beer for dinner. I completely understand that you get what you pay for, and its Bethesda etc... but a more reasonable and appropriate price for what we ordered would have been $100 - $120 per couple.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Charming Country French Restaurant with Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Le Vieux Logis is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is wonderful and the people are even better.

Le Vieux specializes in French dishes and dabbles in Danish cuisine as well. This makes for some very interesting dinners for us with Danish appetizers and maybe desserts and French main courses. The food is nearly perfect. The French food is subtle and delicious and the Danish is quite authentic and very tasty. While I could suggest dishes that are or favorites, I won't. Everything at Le Vieux is great, so you should just choose what appeals to your individual taste.

In any case, I think you will enjoy the ambiance and the staff. The service is friendly and helpful without being overbearing, and the decoration is busy and eclectic but very country French. And the seating can be intimate and romantic if you want somewhere for a special occasion.

The food is not cheap. It is French after all. But the prices are far from the high end restaurants of Washington.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southeastern,Pa
“Adorable and Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I were in town to celebrate our 21st anniversary. We had no plans on where to go for our celebratory dinner but when we took the free Circulator bus around town to get the lay of the land, I spied this charming corner restaurant and knew it was where I wanted to go for dinner. The hostess greeted us at the door and led us to a cozy table in the back where we sat on a comfy banquette with pillows and took in the shabby chic French decor. The service was super friendly,accommodating, and very professional. Our server was so sweet and everyone seemed to go out of their way to make sure we were well attended to. As far as the meal goes, the highlight for me was dipping bread into my husbands mussel sauce. It was outrageously delicious! His beef was wonderful too as was my mushroom appetizer. I had the trout in almondine sauce which was good but nothing to write home about really. Knowing it was our anniversary, our server brought us an ice cream and pear dessert complete with candle and warm smiles. Very pricey, we were charged $30 for one glass of wine and 2 beers which I thought had to be a mistake but my husband wouldn't let me ask) but an overall very pleasant experience for a special occasion like ours.

• Visited November 2012