“Good Food a Bit Overpriced” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Persimmon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 288 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Leland & Walsh Sts.
Transit: Bethesda Metro on Red Line
Bethesda MD
“Good Food a Bit Overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was my first visit here, but my co diner had been prior to the redo and had the same sentiments many on here did, it looks the same. I had the crab cakes which were served in a very tasy sauce. It as served with bacon mashed potatoes. However, I did not find them to be very tasty at all. My friend had the steak which was good. Our entrees were $26 and $28 which were a little pricey in my opinion even for Bethesda. We had the chocolate martini pie for dessert which I did not love, its not actually a pie, its just some mousse in a cup with pie crumbs. When we first arrived no one greeted us and when we said we did not have reservations we were looked at odd, but there were at least 10 open tables. The place is quite small. The waiter did not come back very often and just overall did not seem friendly. I saw the chef and owner talking to other people in the place but they never came over to us. It almost felt like a place where regulars received special treatment. I will return though just not that often due to the price.

• Visited August 2013

Washington, Virginia
“From Alexandria to Bethesda just to eat their glorious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had lunch yesterday. It is Bethesda-Chevy Restaurant Week and like their food so much that we ordered the dinner menu.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“After Changes Remains Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went to Persimmon somewhat regularly before they made their menu and interior changes. Don't quite understand why it took so long for the modest changes to be made (unless there were major kitchen changes that we couldn't see). There were still some of our favorites on the menu - especially crab cakes and the menu has been expanded to include sandwiches, burgers and tacos. So more choices from full dinners to lighter fare. The gazpacho was delicious. We had the lamb and the short ribs. Both excellent. The short ribs portion was so large I had enough for two sandwiches at home the next day. In short, Persimmon has changed (no more white tablecloths) but the quality of the food and service has remained very high.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Birthday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Took my child there for lunch. We were hungry. The rockfish special entree was superb. HOT and right off the grill. Really wonderful.

My steak only mediocre. Green beans and spinach were cooked perfectly. My only concern: there were flies in the dining room which means there are flies in the kitchen. Ick. Will return but seems like this establishment needs a better fly management system. I ordered gazpacho and it was great---not fabulous but pretty darn good. I am sure he used his fingers to wipe my spoon. Double ick. I didn't really care about the cost--however this lunch was a tad expensive. This is my first visit there. Probably will return again

Bethesda, Maryland
“Good Not Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I must admit, we went there for the lobster rolls which are excellent, but they dropped that from their menu. The food was very good, the service somewhat slow. Sometimes we had to ask for things already requested. All n all, it was a bit over-priced when considering comparable restaurants in the DC/Bethesda area.

• Visited March 2013