“Come here for great sushi” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cheltenham Dr.
Transit: Bethesda Metro Station
Description: Tako Grill is a Japanese restaurant serving classic Japanese dishes and very fresh and exquisite sushi. It started as a partnership between two Japanese chefs opening up a Sushi take out restaurant named Kanpai in 1986 at Glen Echo in Bethesda and continues its business today. Two years later, they opened up a restaurant naming it Tako Grill Japanese Restaurant and at that time, it could only hold a maximum capacity of 50 people. Tako Grill then expanded in 1996 and once more in 2001 adding our Sake Bar which is a great environment and size for larger parties to enjoy the food and atmosphere. Now Tako Grill is a great place for friends and families to enjoy each other"s presence and delight in wonderful traditional Japanese cuisine. Tako Grill is Japanese owned and serves authentic Japanese dishes. We also associate with Japanese Sushi Society and Japan Sushi Federation, bringing in chefs from Japan where they teach the sushi chefs at Tako Grill.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Come here for great sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We love sushi. Though we live in DC we come up to Bethesda to eat at Tako Grill for some good sushi quite regularly. Their avocado rolls are so creamy and fresh. We also enjoy their spicy tuna rolls - no mayo! Finally we tend to order their fresh green salad with ginger dressing, which is a little too sweet for our taste but pretty good. Overall it's one of our favorite sushi places in and near DC.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

East Coast
“suishi, sashimi, and sake”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Each time I stay at the Hyatt, I try to eat at the Tako Grill. It's not any one thing that makes me keep coming back, rather it's just that the complete experience is so satisfying. You enter through the bar. Later in the evening the bar has the feel of a neighborhood gathering. People are talking. Some are reading. Some seem to be doing some work. The other side is a fairly plain-looking but comfortable restaurant, divided into comfortable sections by screens. The waitresses, who are always attentive and who are often Thai, have even been known to give chopstick lessons. The menu is varied, all the standards of a good Japanese restaurant and sushi bar. The sake list is extensive. I can also always talk the barender into making my own version of a sake martini: rub the glass in ginger, add a vodka/sake martini, and garnish with the ginger. I'll be back on the next trip.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Biloxi, Mississippi
“The Hot Dishes are Good as Well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I went to Tako with a group of co-workers. Everybody enjoyed their dishes. I had the Sukiyaki which was delicious! They have a good selection of Japanese beers and even more varieties of sake. I would definitely eat here again!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“In Bethesda/Chevy Chase (MD)...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

...despite having a hundred of restaurants addresses, I think that eating out is a bit challenging and most of the times, generally speaking, is expensive and quality and/or taste not as good.
Our family (3) in a Japanese Rest. loves Miso soup, the Damplings and almost all the Tempuras, sometimes a bit of maguro (but not always). So our opinion is not referred to Sushi or Sashimi at all.
This 'Tako Grill' was a nice surprise, food tasted good, price was correct, service was kind and helped a lot in not order too much (I do not like things like Tempura the day after) I prefer not to have leftovers. This are the good things. Only one remark on the Tempura: could have been fried with a slightly better oil giving it a super improvement, but this is my personal opinion.
Really there aren't bad, must be said that it is a simple place, nothing elegant, do not expect the super beautiful Japanese pottery and the individual paper plastic laminated single table-mat are a bit too much 'to digest' even for a 'simple place'.
The acoustic is bizarre, we could hear people 2 tables far but talk between us was not easy.
Next time we feel in luck of Miso soup, Japanese Damplings and Tempuras (and not looking for special decor and pottery) we'll go back to the Tako Grill.

P.S.
The Tako is near a public parking lot BUT you can't use it(!), there are no panels or signs of any kind but a guy screamed at us in an approximative english that the parking lot was 'reserved' for another grill/restaurant on the back... (!)

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington, VA
“Good Sushi Experience in Bethesda”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I should preface my review by saying that I am not a sushi connoisseur and do not consider myself knowledgeable enough to distinguish good sushi from great sushi.

Having said that, I had a positive experience during my visit to Tako Grill, located only a few blocks from the Bethesda metro station. My dinner companions knew more about sushi than I did, and they helped me with my selection. The sushi menu seemed quite extensive, although to the untrained palate, occasionally all sushi tastes similar. The restaurant also has non-sushi offerings on their menu, but since we were here primarily for sushi that is what I ordered as well. We ordered four or five different dishes/rolls/etc., and all seemed well prepared and tasty.

The restaurant itself is not terribly flashy or fancy but does have a nice, casual atmosphere. Our server was friendly with an attentive but not overbearing approach, fitting with the restaurant as a whole.

If you are looking for a sushi experience in Bethesda or northwest of Washington, DC, I would recommend checking out Tako Grill on Wisconsin Avenue.

• Visited August 2012