“dismissive service, haphazard food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hamburger Hamlet - CLOSED

Hamburger Hamlet
10400 Old Georgetown Road (Democracy Boulevard), Georgetown Square, Bethesda, MD 20814
301 897 5350
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Bethesda, Maryland
“dismissive service, haphazard food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Many co-workers venture here for lunch or after work, but I came on a Sunday afternoon with my partner in search of good dining experience.... big mistake. Seated promptly, though we kept wondering just how close the front of the hostess' skirt was to exposing her crotch. Menu is a bit overwhelming, particularly with the addition of the breakfast dishes from DuPar Diner.

Took a good ten minutes to see a server. Nice conversation, though, with a neighboring table that had ordered "chicken wings" that appeared to have been raised by Paul Bunyan. Partner's French onion arrives, where's our flatware and napkins?! Turns out the soup is barely warm underneath the almost hardened layer of cheese. Server takes it back, returns and announces "They made you a new one!" Like the kitchen should do anything else?! Sandwiches arrive. I find the Sonoran flatbread basically has all of the condiments more or less shoved in tiny spots along the edges (not evenly distributed), and one needs to eat it with a knife and fork to keep from having it fall all over one's clothing. Partner asks for more ketchup for a hefty portion of fries. The server returns with a plate of two ramikens topped-off with ketchup which seemed rudely overzealous. I order dessert, my partner orders another beer; and we wait and wait for the beer after the pie arrives. Worse, we have to ask another server to find ours who then acts like a beer wasn't ordered.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Just "So-So"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having met family at Hamburger Hamlet many times over the years, I was looking forward to the visit and the meal last Saturday. Apparently, new management has taken over and the increase in prices was the second thing I noticed (the first being the bakery counter in the lobby!) Higher prices are everywhere so that was something I understood, but the slow service, cold food, and errors in a takeout order were unexpected. I ordered Lobster Bisque and requested it "hot." It was lukewarm and pretty tasteless. Im ordered a takeout cheesburger with a slice of onion and the lettuce/tomato on the side....all were missing from the box. My guest waited almost 15 minutes after the appetizer for his meal to arrive. No server in sight. It is not the same "Hamlet" so I'm looking for a new place to meet in Bethesda.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“A Good Hamburger is Worth the Visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Particularly liked the hamburger that could be ordered to specifications and made without any salt. The quality of beef and the willingness to make substitutions to replace the salty sides was much appreciated!

Visited November 2012
Bethesda, Maryland
“Nothing But an Overpriced Diner. Nuf Said!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

You would think I would have nice things to say about Hamburger Hamlet because by some mental lapse and twist of fate I had my first date with my wife there a couple of years ago. Alas, it is not to be.

Hamburger Hamlet never won any culinary awards. But under new management, it is nothing but an overpriced diner. Great! You can pay through the nose for mediocre food 24 hours a day now.

My wife had a $15 Cobb salad with ingredients that were not fresh. I had a $12 hamburger that was really a $6 hamburger -- I would have traded it for a Big Mac. But at least the meat seemed fresh unlike my wife's salad. What I was curious to see, but didn't order because I'm not insane was the $12 margarita. Do you think there are free refills or something?

There are a lot of much better restaurants in Bethesda where you can spend good money and get good food. I recommend you do so.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“24-Hour Concept Great, But Bad Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We dined (or tried to) at the new 24-hour Hamburger Hamlet at 10 pm on a Saturday night.

Summary: an interesting 24-hour concept with a broad menu in an attractive setting is sabotaged by poor service. Management: service should be fixed to realize an excellent idea.

Experience: we arrived around 10 pm on a Saturday night in mid-January 2013. Very few tables were occupied. Despite a number of busboys in evidence, no one was available to seat us. After 10+ minutes, during which we deliberated leaving, we flagged down a bus boy and reported that we wanted to be seated. Several more minutes passed while a host or manager was located, and we were seated without urgency.

The same lack of service persisted throughout our dinner. The wait staff vanished for 15+ minutes after we asked for a minute or two more to decide on our order. Requested ketchup was not brought until we had asked a second time. Our burgers were almost fully consumed by the time the ketchup arrived. We noticed another party wandering around waiting to be seated, and we decided against dessert, fearing that it would not be brought.

This is a shame, because the new 24 hour Hamburger Hamlet, now combined with a venerable, Los Angeles-based diner chain, is a great concept. The setting is comfortable. The menu includes eggs, pancakes, burgers, chicken, barbeque and steak. The pies displayed in a case at the entrance look delicious, and the full menu appears to be available 24-7.

While we found the meat in our burgers a little under seasoned, the burgers were thick, juicy, of good quality and cooked perfectly. (That is of course correctable with tableside pepper, salt and-- if brought by the wait staff-- ketchup.) Burger toppings were excellent. Salads and side orders (fries and cole slaw) were very good. Mixed drinks were well-made.

If the service problems are fixed, this 24-7 concept could be a winner. We hope management will attend to this. A bit more flavor/seasoning in the otherwise excellent quality hamburger would also be welcome.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere