“A neighborhood restaurant worth a return trip!” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
bethesda, md
“A neighborhood restaurant worth a return trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

It has been years since I stopped by Red Tomato Cafe, and I'm not sure why that is. And after last night's dinner, I'll be back much sooner and more frequently! My husband and I had dinner there, and enjoyed our salads and pizza- both fresh and made to order. Service was fast and pleasant despite the fact that the small dining room was packed. We had a reservation, but waited at the bar with a glass of wine for about 20 minutes. Our wait was quite pleasant and sitting by the wood burning oven convinced us we needed to order pizza. The pizza did not disappoint, and we'll definitely be back. There were several families as well as couples, so a nice mix of patrons for a wonderful and tasty evening!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Maryland
“Yummy food, decent portion sizes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My spouse and I visited the Red Tomato Cafe last night. We got there early, so we did not have to wait for a table. Both of us thought that the ambiance was pleasant and interesting. Even when the restaurant filled up, we could talk without having to scream at each other across the table.
Our server, Elizabeth, did an over-the-top job, patiently describing dishes and honoring any special requests with "no problem" rather than the answer that I often get at other restaurants "let me ask the chef."
Since I am used to seeing huge portion sizes at many restaurants, it was refreshing to see that our plates were not overflowing with food, rather just the perfect portion. We ate every drop of our appetizers and entrees, and split a delicious dessert.
We would definitely return to Red Tomato Cafe.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Amazing pizza, served with a side of disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Have you ever walked into a restaurant that you had heard was fabulous, only to have your high hopes squashed to a pulp? I experienced that deflating feeling when I dined at the Red Tomato, an Italian restaurant in the older part of Bethesda.
As I walked into the dimly lit restaurant, I got the impression that the place was desperate for customers. Three eager waiters leaped up to assist me to my greasy table, bumping into each other in their haste. I noticed several pieces of old pizza on my chair, so I was forced to change seats. I tried not to pay too much attention to these warning signs, thinking that the evening would get better. Sadly, I was wrong.
Once seated, I was handed a menu that consisted mostly of pizza. Now to be fair, the Red Tomato does make amazing pizza, some of the best I’ve ever had. The cheese is gooey and delicious, the sauce a chef’s dream. The pizza is served on a wooden pizza paddle, which adds a nice touch. My dining companion had the veggie pizza, and claimed that it was the best she had ever had.
The fact that the pizza is a work of art does not quite make up for the mediocre service and freezing temperatures that I had to endure. Sure, the food was pretty much on time, but it wasn’t exactly speedy. The waiters provided more comedy than service. They didn’t even bother to close the drafty windows that were next to our table. However, the Red Tomato does attract a fair amount of pizza lovers who can take the cold. This became apparent later on when several loud parties of people walked into the restaurant and filled all of the seats. The eager waiters jumped up to help them to their tables with a great amount of enthusiasm.
The Red Tomato is one of several Italian Restaurants in Bethesda. Mia’s Pizza is among the best of them. On comparing the two of them, I believe that the Red Tomato’s pizza is superior, but Mia’s has a much more pleasant atmosphere. I didn’t have the greatest time at the Red Tomato, and I probably wouldn’t dine there again. However, people who love pizza might want to try it. If only the Red Tomato had take-out, I would gladly order from them and eat in the comfort of my home.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great oven baked pizzas!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

They make fresh, delicious pizzas. My face is the white pizzas. Soooo yummy. Good wait staff and a nice place to dine with a fun decor.

Maryland
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

With all the hype we had heard we were expecting a cozy small restaurant with great homey food. We had to wait forever for a table for four and then felt very squeezed in at the table when we did finally get seated. The food was OK but nothing to rave about.

Visited September 2011