“good food light fare” 3 of 5 stars

Dining style: Casual Dining
Bethesda, Maryland
“good food light fare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

This is a very good meal and it is not filling. Service is okay.

Visited September 2011

San Diego
“Quiet evening with nice food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I was visiting from out of town, and happened upon the Green Papaya with a cousin. Vietnamese food done with a nice flair; clean flavors, with a bit of a French accent. Nice service, and quiet dining room, added to the enjoyment at this lovely place in busy Bethesda.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Timing may be important”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

A midweek dinner for 4 was just excellent. Frankly, if you don't like spicy Asian food or if you can't appreciate the many versions of spicy, this would be a bad choice. But if you do and can, then you'll love this place. Food aside, it's beautiful inside. Then there's the food. The soups were delicate and properly hot (in temp and seasoning). The shrimp in every dish were wonderful and plump. The Mekong Shrimp alone are worth a visit. Soft shell crabs for one of us were big, perfectly done and tasteeee. Ginger ice cream was a nice way to finish up. I know that others have found Green Papaya erratic and that's not good, except that sometimes, as during our visit, they are totally on.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gaithersburg, MD
“Over-rated! Not worth a second visit.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

This Vietnamese restaurant supposedly had good reviews, and is well located in an area filled with restaurants and movie theaters. We had reservations for a Sunday evening for 8 people. Called the reservation in twice - no live person, just a recording and message machine. They lost it. We ordered appetizers and dinners. Two appetizers came, then 10 minutes later, two more, then the others. The dinners were also slow in coming out - and not all at once either. The worst thing = the food was mediocre at best. I have eaten in family run Vietnamese restaurants, and big fancy ones, and this would be at the bottom. To be fair, it was not bad, but certainly nothing to write home about. The final blow came when the check arrived, and it had two items on it that we had not ordered. The waiter appoogized, and corrected the bill. This restaurant was a great disappointment. It almost seemed that they were short a cook or two in the kitchen, and that the 2nd string was working on a Sunday night. Lastly, the prices were not rediculous considering the neighborhood, but they were too high considering the quality.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Good appetizer, okay meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

I was super excited to try Green Papaya because I had never had Vietnamese food before. I love all types of asian foods so I was sure it would be a hit.
While I enjoyed the meal, I was not as impressed as I thought I would be.

We hadn't made reservations and showed up around 6:30 on a saturday. They advised that they only had one table they could put us at, since we had not reserved and they had parties coming in. They sat us at the "only" table available int he half full restaurant (I say this in quotes, because since we were right near the hostess stand we could hear the hostess asking if newcomers had reservations. Several didn't and she sat them immediately at emppty tables).

The table was right by the door (and this was one of the coldest nights so far this winter), so everytime someone walked in we got a gush of cold air (as in, we had to hold the table cloth down so it wouldn't knock our wine glasses over). We didn't complain, but we both had to keep our jackets on.

The service was fine and the waiters friendly. The food was good, but not great. I had a dish called "soft & spicy ginger noodles" which was really nothing more than lo mein. My boyfriend's dish (i forget the name) was quite good. The shrimp paste baguette was also yummy!

On a whole, I would say we had a fine experience. I had just been expecting a little more.

• Visited February 2012